Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    maybe we should do up a request... I personally prefer the normal kb, but the screen has so much space, if it can do a v.keyboard - then we do not need to slide it out as often. Secondly it's as sleek as other SLABS..so it can function as a pseudo slab.!!..

Request for V.keyboard Pre 3.
    daexpression
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    anyone who interested in a virtual keyboard...this is the latest video showing VK on pre 3,looks like someone already working on it...for me,it's just pretty small and not scale properly.

i'm interested in the VK on pre 3 to type other languages , do you have a link to this mod/app?
    It's good to have a physical keyboard to write emails / texts etc. but sometimes if I'm web browsing, I don't want to have to bother opening up the keyboard to enter my username / pwd or something small. In that respect I'd like to see a virtual keyboard that can be swiped in and out quickly.

I'd considered designing one for the pre- which had less screen to play with, maybe you can tell me if it's worth persuing or just sounds awful:
    - it would have required two fingers / thumbs to work.
    - There would be two long narrow buttons on each side of the screen about an inch in height
    - They would be semi-transparent and always there unless dismissed.
    - If the left hand button was held, then the RIGHT side panel would expand to display the RIGHT half of the keyboard - (letters Y to P, etc.), you could use your other thumb to type
    - If the right hand button was held, then the LEFT side panel would expand to display the right left of the keyboard (Q to T etc.)

If neither button was pressed the keyboard would disappear out of the road.

I had expected this to be very quick in and out (but a delay could be added) - but the important part is that on each half keyboard the buttons would be much larger than a normal sized keyboard would make the letters much easier to press.

In reality it might be a right pain to find the letters you need! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by sylau90 View Post
    anyone who interested in a virtual keyboard...this is the latest video showing VK on pre 3,looks like someone already working on it...for me,it's just pretty small and not scale properly.

great video, cheers! I cant wait to use that virtual keyboard on my pre3!!!
    so, there's a video guide on you tube. Everything seems to be easy to follow until the time in which I have to copy the luna-platform.conf file to etc/palm. Actually, when I choose the "copy option" the only folders that appear on my Pre 3 are:

-/media/cryptofs/apps;
    -/media/internal
    -/var

how cat I get the other folders appear???

Help!
    got it! I had to enable master mode! ;-) thanks anyway!
    Great that this virtual keyboard already exists on the phone, however it is extremely buggy (for me anyway) - cannot press more than one, or two keys before it crashing and having to force a reset!!! Every time. Assuming this is the case for everyone? Anyone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by shai126 View Post
    Great that this virtual keyboard already exists on the phone, however it is extremely buggy (for me anyway) - cannot press more than one, or two keys before it crashing and having to force a reset!!! Every time. Assuming this is the case for everyone? Anyone else?
    Yes, that was the problem even on the older phones. It might work fine a few times but trust me, it WILL crash on you.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    same here :-( nice but pretty useless anyway....any way to fix it?
    brum likes this.
    Do you think that there is hope in 2.3 release?
    If there is even hope that 2.3 will ever be released... nothing is impossible
    Haha, yeah first we hope for 2.3 then for the keyboard.
    Hopefully hp will honor its word and continue to update webos.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barenomore View Post
    Hopefully hp will honor its word and continue to update webos.

How do they plan on doing this when they split up their WebOS team into numerous non-WebOS departments?
    Guess they might keep a small team for future updates. If they wanna sell the OS they need to show that it has a future
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I had a great VK on my old Pre+ not sure what it was called, but it worked perfectly whenever I used it.
    eheheh, we end up always talking about the same topic...will WebOS have future or not?
    ...if I just could use my virtual keyboard without any problem, I would be already satisfied! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonomitch View Post
    It's good to have a physical keyboard to write emails / texts etc. but sometimes if I'm web browsing, I don't want to have to bother opening up the keyboard to enter my username / pwd or something small. In that respect I'd like to see a virtual keyboard that can be swiped in and out quickly.

I'd considered designing one for the pre- which had less screen to play with, maybe you can tell me if it's worth persuing or just sounds awful:
    - it would have required two fingers / thumbs to work.
    - There would be two long narrow buttons on each side of the screen about an inch in height
    - They would be semi-transparent and always there unless dismissed.
    - If the left hand button was held, then the RIGHT side panel would expand to display the RIGHT half of the keyboard - (letters Y to P, etc.), you could use your other thumb to type
    - If the right hand button was held, then the LEFT side panel would expand to display the right left of the keyboard (Q to T etc.)

If neither button was pressed the keyboard would disappear out of the road.

I had expected this to be very quick in and out (but a delay could be added) - but the important part is that on each half keyboard the buttons would be much larger than a normal sized keyboard would make the letters much easier to press.

In reality it might be a right pain to find the letters you need! lol
    Glad to see somebody had the same idea as me on my post above (Virtual Keyboard on Pre 3) - wish I had cracked on with my idea!
    "KALQ thumb-type keyboard takes on Qwerty":
    BBC News - KALQ thumb-type keyboard takes on Qwerty
    All one needs to do is follow the script and Patch the LunaSysMgr on the Pre3...

[PATCH] Virtual Keyboard

This corrects the stability issues, as far as typing... now if one still rotates to/from landscape it will crash... have not figured where that code is in the LunaSysMgr binary yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    All one needs to do is follow the script and Patch the LunaSysMgr on the Pre3...

[PATCH] Virtual Keyboard

This corrects the stability issues, as far as typing... now if one still rotates to/from landscape it will crash... have not figured where that code is in the LunaSysMgr binary yet...
    Yes although I found the methodology there a little confusing.

This is what worked well for me (Pre3 2.2.4) using WOSQI anyway:

1). Install:
    'Enabling Keyboard on Pre3.Patch'
    via dragging to WOSQI window + 'Install'.

2). Using WOSQI 'Send File':
    Send 'VKB-1.1.6' script file to: /

3). Using WOSQI 'Linux Command Line':
    Type: /VKB.sh and press Enter.
    Restart.
    Done!

No 'Wave-Launcher' now however - so SLOW up-swipe to reveal VKB instead.

As I also mentioned there - would be great to add 'Key-click-sounds' eventually too!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/30/2013 at 08:58 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12