webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Too Many Cards. Pre 3!
Too Many Cards. Pre 3!
Like Tree1Likes

Old 09/16/2011, 03:37 PM   #41 (permalink)

Now the nice man from support has given me a code I can input into the Pre2 (?!? for some reason, selecting Pre3 only allows access to the palm account login. So if that is messed up, you need the Pre 2 route) serial number field on the support site, so I have the doctor.

But those microswitches are REALLY fiddly when you're trying to put your phone into USB update mode. And I would appear to have re-crocked the poor old thing (it's been flashing the hp logo for about an hour).

Phew: finally got it! Now let's see what the good doctor can do...

That's better... for now.
TwistedByKnaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2011, 03:39 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by handkante View Post
I have the same serial number issue with my pre3. Will call HP support next week and try to figure out a solution.
Go to the support page, take the Pre2 device option and enter FB437AA11ABU in the serial number box. Follow prompts and the doctor will arrive presently.
Thanked By: pimonserry
Old 09/16/2011, 03:42 PM   #43 (permalink)

PS I wasn't joking when I said that setting USB upload mode was tricky on a Pre3 (MUCH trickier than a Pre2 or Pre+: good luck!! If anyone has a good way of reliably holding down those microswitches, perhaps they could share?
Old 09/16/2011, 07:35 PM   #44 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedByKnaves View Post
PS I wasn't joking when I said that setting USB upload mode was tricky on a Pre3 (MUCH trickier than a Pre2 or Pre+: good luck!! If anyone has a good way of reliably holding down those microswitches, perhaps they could share?
There's no need to take off the back cover to put a Pre 3 into recovery mode.

Plug in USB. Device Info -> Reset Options -> Restart & hold vol-up for a minute or until you see the USB logo.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2011, 07:36 PM   #45 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedByKnaves View Post
I think there may be a little more to it in some cases, Rod.

I'm getting a TMC with NO cards running (trying to open the first one). That picture you can see through the launcher is my wallpaper.

I typically use mail, Carbon (switched to Bad Kitty since my last erase), browser and Dr Podder. (I've also been using the scratch word processor over th last couple of days.

After using a Pre+ for nearly a year, I was interested to see what the fabled TMC error looked like. But I would like to be able to run the occasional app from time to time, all the same.

Just heading to the doctor, now, but I hope this is enough to pique your interest.

Thanks for everything you have done and are continuing to do for us.
Use JsTop to find the app with the memory leak.

-- Rod
Old 09/18/2011, 05:05 AM   #46 (permalink)

Turning Backup Off did the trick for me it seems, but when turning of is said it will Erase the backup. So manual backup into the cloud is not working also?
ZeroZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 01:22 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
The single-chip cellular modem solution shares the RAM.

-- Rod
Is there any advantage in single-chip cellular modem solution? Or is only a RAM thief?
Old 09/19/2011, 02:05 PM   #48 (permalink)

The end of the honeymoon is starting...the missing 8 gigs is a pain to manage. The low RAM really shows: I can't open a 1.3 MB excel file in QuickOffice on the Pre 3 that Docs To Go open almost instantly on a Pre PLUS.

QuickOffice shows me a progress bar that takes 5 minutes (I timed it) to get to around 70% then I get the TMC error, and apparently a huge memory leak because I can't open anything else. I left the Pre 3 sit for a bit waiting for it to garbage collect (jstop wouldn't open) with no cards open and BLING! TMC error. Close cards? What cards???

Notes and Done! also not in the Pre3 app catalog :-( Kinda sucks to have purchased and not be able to take with you. Yet. I hope.
Goyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 03:49 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
The end of the honeymoon is starting...the missing 8 gigs is a pain to manage. The low RAM really shows: I can't open a 1.3 MB excel file in QuickOffice on the Pre 3 that Docs To Go open almost instantly on a Pre PLUS.

QuickOffice shows me a progress bar that takes 5 minutes (I timed it) to get to around 70% then I get the TMC error, and apparently a huge memory leak because I can't open anything else. I left the Pre 3 sit for a bit waiting for it to garbage collect (jstop wouldn't open) with no cards open and BLING! TMC error. Close cards? What cards???

Notes and Done! also not in the Pre3 app catalog :-( Kinda sucks to have purchased and not be able to take with you. Yet. I hope.
I'm with you on this...getting fed up with TMC errors, Spotify (and Music, to a lesser extent) keeps skipping whenever the phone does anything, it lags a hell of a lot and I'm bored of the few albums I can fit on it.

To top it all off, it seems my new limited edition webOS phone has lost nearly a third of its value since I bought it two weeks ago.

This is becoming like an abusive relationship...I just can't help coming back for more!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
rasputintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 04:11 PM   #50 (permalink)

This is our fate. In the world of webOS, cutting edge is synonymous with "end of line". :-( The trouble is, the TouchPad has a huge userbase now...the Pre3, not so much.
Goyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 04:46 PM   #51 (permalink)

Does Unixpsycho have a Pre 3 yet? If he doesn't can we get him one? He'll be able to help with compcache.
Vociferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 05:24 PM   #52 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
Does Unixpsycho have a Pre 3 yet? If he doesn't can we get him one? He'll be able to help with compcache.
Compcache is already in the Pre 3 kernel.

We should have a Pre 3 in Marco's hands early next month.

-- Rod
Old 09/19/2011, 06:17 PM   #53 (permalink)

Wow. If it's already in the kernel then that sucks.

Do you think the Homebrew super coders can come to the rescue?
Old 09/19/2011, 08:04 PM   #54 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
Wow. If it's already in the kernel then that sucks.

Do you think the Homebrew super coders can come to the rescue?
There's a problem with the kernel source code that we're currently sorting out with Palm. Once we have a working kernel, we can apply the same TMC fix that we applied to the Pre- back in the day ...

-- Rod
Old 09/20/2011, 09:30 AM   #55 (permalink)

@rwhitby Does this mean that something can indeed be done to reduce the frequency of TMC errors? I got the impression that you were saying the RAM was taken up by the phone radio and that was that.
Old 09/20/2011, 09:50 AM   #56 (permalink)

Thanks Rod!

And I guess something indeed can be done. Although it's sad that so many bad choices were made. Why didn't they increase the RAM?
Old 09/20/2011, 12:07 PM   #57 (permalink)

Compared to my Beloved's Pre2, the Pre3 just feels sluggish, even when the only 3rd party App is JsTop. I'm holding my breath for the OTA 2.1.1 that makes everything alright...
Old 09/20/2011, 01:14 PM   #58 (permalink)

@rwhitby
Where is the best place to pay attention or best way to become notified once the TMC error has been sorted with a proper kernel?

I've only had the Pre3 for two days. It's beautiful but I'm getting the TMC error often and sometimes with 0 cards open. Starting to feel like my original Pre.

I appreciate your and the crew's work and service to this WebOS community. It's guys like you and the homebrew crew that keeps me in the WebOS realm.

Cheers.

Last edited by Thor e; 09/20/2011 at 02:15 PM.
Thor e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2011, 04:35 PM   #59 (permalink)
Developer

Any updated Pre 3 kernel will be in Preware. Just don't use alpha testing ones.

-- Rod
Old 01/31/2013, 12:39 PM   #60 (permalink)

I'm getting the TMCs error VERY often recently, even when no cards at all are in use. But for some reason I'm of the pinion modifying the kernel screwed up my beloved Pre so I'm just afraid to use it on my Pre3, 1) Has anyone else reported problems after kernel modification 2) Is there another way to get rid of this idiotic too many cards error?

Tags
pre 3, too many cards

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0