Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by richardallen42 View Post
    Just had it again. Spaz is definitely the culprit. Closed it down & tried again the error was no more.

I will have to try another twitter app.
    Have you tried phnx? Free and works great and with a nice UI.
    TextOne was causing this on mine Too bad.. A cross-platform messaging app like kik messenger of whatsapp would be friggin' awesome. Come on.. either one of those..
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    happens for me too and i don't use spaz. i used to have it on the pre+ stock webos2 kernel, but once i switched to a custom kernel it went away (apparently the error was being mis-reported and the custom kernel fixed the issue). perhaps this bug is the same and has carried over to the version of webos running on the pre3.
    hmm I have the tmc issue too. And I also have textone installed. I had no issues on my pre2 with it...
    I'm getting it with Dr Podder/Carbon/Mail/Browser (8 cards). I'll try Bad Kitty, but the common factors seems to be the browser, webos2.2 and the hardware.
    I've had it very rarely since moving over from spaz to carbon. When I do, I usually have some youtube or browser with heavy flash up.

That said, I very rarely have more that 3 cards open- Battery monitor while I'm out, email client, and then I'll open carbon, forums, browser, dialler and messages as and when I use them - and then close them when done.

The 'kill app' swish is just too satisfying.
    Pre 3 has 132MB less available RAM than the Pre 2. That is the cause.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    That's quite a chunk, where is it being allocated to instead? I get the distinct feeling that this is something we're probably not going to solve easily, if at all? =\
    || Flickr || Twitter ||
    The single-chip cellular modem solution shares the RAM.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Rod, I'm seeking to understand and you seem to be one of the most knowledgeable, so here's my hopefully not-so-silly questions in layman-speak:

1. Does 1/3 less RAM means that we can open 1/3 less programs before we hit the TMC error, or does this small space impose an even more drastic constraint, like making it harder to manage?

2. If our loss in performance should in fact be proportional (by a third), why can I open 50 cards, including a few PDK games, on a Pre 2 and never have TMC, while a 2 or 3 cards will bog down my Pre 3?

3. How much RAM does an app take up? (say different types like a PDK game like Angry Birds or Need for Speed, Preware, or a web page with embedded videos with Flash set to Enable, but not Autoload Flash content)

4. Was the management of this RAM, in your opinion, changed drastically between 2.1 and 2.2?

5. Do you believe that apps that were seemingly solid on a Pre 2 have suddenly sprung leaks on a Pre 3? ("solid" meaning that I didn't TMC, at all, and now, and endless string.)
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Most of the RAM is taken up by webOS.

The space left for apps is small. On the Pre 2 it's reasonable. On the Pre 3 it's less than half the amount available for apps on the Pre 3.

Use JsTop or run top on the command line to see how much each app uses.

The webOS version is largely irrelevant.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    TOP running in lime green Xterm window is my new exhibition mode. Pretty.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    So, pre2 is actually faster than pre3 if you have many cards open?
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod. It all makes sense now.

I have been not leaving Spaz open & only opening when I get notifications, this way I have not had any more TMC's.

The Pre 3 is a great phone, so little niggles like this will not put me off.
    Richard

Palm III>Palm m500>Palm Tungsten T2>Palm LifeDrive>Palm Pre>Palm Pre2>Pre 3 + Touchpad 32gb 3.0.2
    Installing jstop now, thanks for the tip!
    || Flickr || Twitter ||
    There is something wrong with your phone, if you get a tmc. Try a restart to fix it and turn of flash. I think flash is bugged and blocks memory, even after it is closed. I am having 15 cards open including bing maps and i am not having any issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by eternityzero View Post
    There is something wrong with your phone, if you get a tmc.
    Not true.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I think there may be a little more to it in some cases, Rod.

I'm getting a TMC with NO cards running (trying to open the first one). That picture you can see through the launcher is my wallpaper.

I typically use mail, Carbon (switched to Bad Kitty since my last erase), browser and Dr Podder. (I've also been using the scratch word processor over th last couple of days.

After using a Pre+ for nearly a year, I was interested to see what the fabled TMC error looked like. But I would like to be able to run the occasional app from time to time, all the same.

Just heading to the doctor, now, but I hope this is enough to pique your interest.

Thanks for everything you have done and are continuing to do for us.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I spoke too soon: when I try to download the doctor I get "Sorry, that is not a valid serial number".

Can anyone share (has anyone shared?) the doctor for the latest version?

I have the same serial number issue with my pre3. Will call HP support next week and try to figure out a solution.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast