Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    So, yesterday I received my first webOS device; an HP Pre 3. As a new user, and someone who isn't blinded by loyalty to or love of the platform, here are my initial thoughts.

There are many things I like about the device and the OS. Most of you are probably familiar with those (eg true multitasking, cards paradigm, big screen & qwerty keyboard, just type) so I won't spend any time on them here. Instead, I'll present a list of my initial criticisms for discussion, but that's not to say I have an overall negative impression - far from it in fact.

Feel free to add your own. Go ahead and rip me a new one (or offer constructive feedback) if there are options/settings I've missed or 3rd party apps which address any of these.

Form factor
    - Power cable plugs into the right hand side of the phone, which makes it really hard to use while charging (if you're right handed). I guess they want you to buy a Touchstone.

UI
    - Contacts list scrolling - not smooth at all. Very jerky in fact. I expected much better from a phone of this spec.
    - Solved. I set a daily wake up alarm. Now I have a permanent icon in the notification area reminding me that there's an alarm set. That REALLY doesn't need to be there.
    - Solved. - they're just not as obvious. Few customisation options, even compared to iOS.
    - Example, no way to set a different ringtone for SMS and calls.
    - No way to have calls ring and vibrate, and my daily wake up alarm to just use a ringtone (no vibration).

- It likes to capitalize things (eg contacts list, email inboxes etc). This makes things look cluttered and less readable IMO.
    - The delte gesture (for eg email, message) seems to be over sensitive to direction and/or length of stroke. I often have to make multiple attempts.

Messaging
    - Combines SMS and IM. Not sure I like that.
    - No way to organise and store my messages, eg by creating folders - sometimes I like to keep SMS.
    - Everything is in inbox, grouped by date received.

Facebook
    - Plain awful. Who wrote this thing?
    - Looks like a UI for a primary school colouring in app.
    - Wastes lots of space.
    - Doesn't respect my facebook privacy settings. My feed is full of updates from CityVille and FarmVille, which I blocked from my feed long ago.
    - Commenting on posts is a convoluted process, with too many clicks and gestures involved.
    - For those of us with less than 20/20 vision, the matt off-white background is too low contrast and causes much eye strain. What's wrong with a white background, or at least the ability to change it?
    - You need to be REALLY accurate with the touchscreen to tap tiny icons or words, eg tap the word 'status' in a notification to view the status update.

Bing Maps
    - Seems to be an issue with my phone or network provider. US centric - ignores my region settings.
    - I'm in London, UK and all I get is a default view of the USA and it can't find my location.

App Catalog
    - Slow to load and painful to browse.
    - Hard to find anything of interest.
    Last edited by WinstonSmith; 09/04/2011 at 12:04 PM.
    You can just swipe the alarm notification away, the alarm will still work
    WinstonSmith likes this.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    If bing can't find your location, it's not bing's fault, it's your settings or your phone.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    If bing can't find your location, it's not bing's fault, it's your settings or your phone.
    Well what settings do you suggest I enter to 'fix' it?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    You can just swipe the alarm notification away, the alarm will still work
    Aha! Thanks, didn't realise you could swipe the notifications as well as tap them.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    Well what settings do you suggest I enter to 'fix' it?
    If it's a settings problem, run "Location Settings" from the systems page.

From the preferences menu, select "Locate me using..." and click both the GPS and "Google services".

Stand somewhere where you can be located, and try Bing again,
    Winston: If you don't like your Pre3, I'd gladly purchase it off of you! Just throwing that out there :-)
    Proud owner of a TouchPad, a Pre3 and a Veer!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    If it's a settings problem, run "Location Settings" from the systems page.

From the preferences menu, select "Locate me using..." and click both the GPS and "Google services".

Stand somewhere where you can be located, and try Bing again,
    Hmmm, both those are turned on and I've a fairly good 3G signal.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by k7brown View Post
    Winston: If you don't like your Pre3, I'd gladly purchase it off of you! Just throwing that out there :-)
    I like it a lot actually. Just thought I'd point out the things I didn't like in the hope that someone will tell me "I'm doing it wrong"
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Hmmm, both those are turned on and I've a fairly good 3G signal.
    3G doesn't really matter, it's your GPS strength, or your Wifi Connection (for Google Location Services)

Sometimes it could take a while to get a signal. Maybe try again, outside? And leave it for a few minutes.

Mine, however, works almost straight away.

But, of course, your phone might be faulty.
    Had mine since last friday, i have never used a WebOS device, and admitedly bought the device for looks, i have no issues with setting an alarm using a ringtone, the only thing alarm wise is you need to set an alarm recurring for weekends or daily or weekdays, you are unable to set individual days, does not seem to be an app that will do that either.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    just got mine today, bing maps located me within 2 or 3 meters in approx 3 seconds
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Most of your ringtone wishes can be fixed with preware patches/apps I believe. At least that was the case on my Pre- (webOS 1.4.5).

Maybe they're not available yet on the Pre3, but since Rod just got a Pre3 too they will arrive soon I guess.

You could install a different IM app and have your IM conversations there and use messaging only for sms/mms. But this integrated messaging apps is actually on of the USPs leveraging HPs unique synergy.

Bing maps on my Touchpad locates me perfectly in the Netherlands (only using wifi).
    - Example, no way to set a different ringtone for SMS and calls.
    Thatīs not entirely true. You can set a custom ringtone for each contact on your phone or at least for those you talk to most often if you like. Itīs just hard to find, you have to open the specific contact in the contacts app and edit itīs settings, there you find a field where you can set your custom ringtone for this contact.

Also, you can set your ringtone in the ringtones settings app, then you open the messaging app and go to settings thereīs also a setting to define a custom ringtone for the messaging tone. Itīs not that obvious and of course should be bundled in one app, but itīs there
    The same logic applies to email, open email, open settings, select the email account of your choice, edit itīs settings, thereīs also a field to set a custom ringtone for each email account.

So itīs actually very customizable in that regard, itīs just not that obvious from the get go.

I also believe thereīs a patch in preware that adds more functionality to the ringtones settings app. It should be there as soon as webos internals get their hands on the webosdoctor image for the pre3!
    Messaging
    - Combines SMS and IM. Not sure I like that.
    Funny, that (or Synergy in general) is one of the features that kept me as a webOS user.
    chris_gog likes this.
    Was about to say the above, ringtones and message tones can all be changed in settings, either in the messaging app or the Sounds settings. You can even upload custom tunes to use and as long as you copy it into the ringtones folder then it should work (Pre- owner tip there).

Customisation? Your buddy is Preware for this. I won't confirm this as I don't run it (I'm boring like that... So far). Fair to say the Pre phone has always had a weak spot in information of how to do stuff, so being on here definite bonus
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    You forgot to mention poor battery life
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    I've only had it 24 hours, so I'll reserve judgment on that for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Maybe they're not available yet on the Pre3, but since Rod just got a Pre3 too they will arrive soon I guess.
    Just to clarify this point. The reason why there aren't patches is because the Pre3 webOSDoctor is not yet available. Patches are a community-powered venture, so I can't speak on behalf of all patch developers, but I will be releasing webOS 2.2 updates for all my patches
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Ha! It's a smartphone, they all do from my experience. Easily solved tho, buy a Power Gorilla, you'll never worry about battery life again
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast