Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    what about webOS 3.0? We need multimod
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    This is not true on the Touchpad. Is it true for the Pre 3?
    Most certainly is true on the touchpad and i'm sure its the same on the pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugdr View Post
    Most certainly is true on the touchpad and i'm sure its the same on the pre3.
    I swiped one away on my TP and the alarm did not go off until I went back into the Clock app. When I exited the app, the notification appeared and the alarm fired as expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    [*]Selecting text - I like the ability to move the cursor in a text field using OPT + gesture left/right. However the 'select text' using SHIFT seems really patchy. It seems to like selecting the word BEFORE the one I've just typed, or a group of words starting a few back! What am I doing wrong?
    Holy crap! I've been a Pre user since launch day and had NO idea you could hold down ALT and use the gesture area to move the cursor! That's freakin' awesome! No more tap, tap, tap, tapping for me!

How did I not know this!?

THANK YOU!
    Last edited by soccerbudd; 09/01/2011 at 08:15 AM.
    Karla
    "Give me WebOS, or give me death!"
    Palm Pre > Sprint FrankenPre 2 > Verizon Pre 3 (coming soon!)
    gastr likes this.
  5. Fuu
    As a UK/Europe only phone, I want easy access to the sign. On my Centro I used to press L then ALT and voila! there was my sign. Now I have to press SYMB and find it with my finger in the little grid.
    another possibility is to press sym, h, sym, or sym+h and release.

[*]I'd like the option to turn off the ability to send texts with the ENTER button. I keep tapping it instead of Backspace and sending badly spelt messages to my friends!
    thats what i'm also waiting for.
    there was a patch for webOS 2.1 on my Pre-, you had to press Enter twice to send the message or touch "send" on the screen.
    webOS users know how to wait for something ;-)

Another mention of the auto-brightness setting. Where can I turn this off? I'll decide how bright I want the screen to be thankyou!
    same thing for me. i hate this auto brightness stuff. and i want that "brightness in system menu patch" (when you swipe down from the top right). why do they put it in the menu on the touchpad, but not on the Pre3....

but i really love that Pre3. build quality is great, keyboard is great, fits great into my hand with that curved back. i really love it!
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    This is not true on the Touchpad. Is it true for the Pre 3?
    Yes, worked fine this morning after swiping the notification yesterday.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by msdavies View Post
    Glad you are enjoying and getting to grips with your Pre3 . Its a great phone.

Playhave the Touchstone for 15 - well worth it!

The page mentions that you need some special cover for the Palm. Does this apply to the Pre-3 or will it work out of the box?

If so, I'll order 2 - one for work and one for home
    The original Pre- didn't have the touchstone compatible back cover and had to purchase one separately. I believe all of the newer ones including the Pre3 have it by default.
    Surprised how much heavier it is compared to my Pre ..
    I ordered a Pre3 after buying a touchpad in the firesale - I loved it that much.

I must say that webOS 3.0 on the touchpad seems slicker and more intuitive than 2.x on the pre3.

There are a few things that could be improved:

Toggle on/off pressing enter to send messages - I have sent a lot of half messages!

Easy access to toggle on/off data, 3g, GPS - this could easily be added to the menu in the top right which has WiFi, VPN and Bluetooth.

A soft keyboard would be great.

The ability to open a web-link in a new card, to copy the link, save link as (i.e the right click menu) - a long press brings this up in webOS 3.0

Hide music album covers in the Photos app (or the ability to choose which folders it uses)

Conversely to the above - the Music app should really pick up the cover art when its there in the folder alongside the music... so currently I can see the album art where I don't want to but not where it is supposed to be seen!

The music app is also a bit odd when it comes to tags - a few artist/albums are split out becuase of differeing capitalisation in the names & some are split out for no appraent reasons...

All in all I love the phone. There are a few little gripes but nothing major.
    I just got off the line with HP in the UK, and supposedly there are not going to be any (more) Pre3 sold in the UK via the HP store...

So, where can one in the UK actually buy one without getting gouged on Ebay?
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lancewright View Post
    I just got off the line with HP in the UK, and supposedly there are not going to be any (more) Pre3 sold in the UK via the HP store...

So, where can one in the UK actually buy one without getting gouged on Ebay?
    I might sell mine pretty soon. Especially if I'm refused a price adjustment, apparently I'm less than 1 day outside of the partial refund window.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    just got my first webOS phone. Had the touchpad for a month after selling all my ios and droids, qnx tabs. Now I've just sold my droid phone aswell so I'm 100% webOS.

do you guys have a solution for this?
    browser issues : it does not zoom close enough to read texts. Double tapping on an area is limited where it does not want to soon in further thus the text is hardly readable.
    would like the ability increase the zoom.

I know I can pinch to zoom but that'll mean using two hands to operate. One to hold the other to pinch. Coming from droid I miss this .

ok now the other part. There isn't text reflow after tap to zoom or pinch to zoom.
    text reflow adjusts the text of a paragraph or sentence to fit the screen upon zoom.
    currently its annoying browsing websites and reading texts as I have to scroll right to left and right to left just to read a sentence.

I'm enjoying all the webOS ecosystem and the advise from the forum and I hope there is a solution or a setting I missed. Tq
    If you're browsing in portrait mode, spin it on its side for landscape, might help. Beyond that, it's getting used to it really. Unless you wanna get really smartass and balance it on the fingers leaving your thumb n forefinger do gestures. Far as I know there's no fix at this time, unless someones bringing out a better browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by string158 View Post
    Toggle on/off pressing enter to send messages - I have sent a lot of half messages!

Easy access to toggle on/off data, 3g, GPS - this could easily be added to the menu in the top right which has WiFi, VPN and Bluetooth.
    These are all fixed with sconix's "advanced" patches - download them from preware, which is essential software for any webOS device.

A soft keyboard would be great.
    There'll be a patch for this as well, I suspect; Not now, but at some point in the near future.

The ability to open a web-link in a new card, to copy the link, save link as (i.e the right click menu) - a long press brings this up in webOS 3.0
    press the option (grey square) key before tapping.

Hide music album covers in the Photos app (or the ability to choose which folders it uses)

Conversely to the above - the Music app should really pick up the cover art when its there in the folder alongside the music... so currently I can see the album art where I don't want to but not where it is supposed to be seen!

The music app is also a bit odd when it comes to tags - a few artist/albums are split out becuase of differeing capitalisation in the names & some are split out for no appraent reasons...

All in all I love the phone. There are a few little gripes but nothing major.
    The photos app is a long standing gripe of mine; as for the music app, I've never really used it, as I only listen to last.fm (Theres an app called lostFM; search the forums. It's not been updated in ages, but it still works well) or podcasts (in drPodder) on my pre.
    Does anyone else get a strange formatting quirk when you go into write a new SMS?

When you first press the + sign, an unformatted screen appears with just To: in black text, then a few seconds later, the correct white bar appears with the icon at the end, and TO: in colour at the front...
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwilliams View Post
    Does anyone else get a strange formatting quirk when you go into write a new SMS?

When you first press the + sign, an unformatted screen appears with just To: in black text, then a few seconds later, the correct white bar appears with the icon at the end, and TO: in colour at the front...
    Yep, same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwilliams View Post

Yes I get this too.
    Selecting text - I like the ability to move the cursor in a text field using OPT + gesture left/right. However the 'select text' using SHIFT seems really patchy. It seems to like selecting the word BEFORE the one I've just typed, or a group of words starting a few back! What am I doing wrong?
    I figured it out - when holding SHIFT you should swipe left or right on the screen, not in the gesture area. Seems to work fine with that approach.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  19.    #59  
    I've been playing with my Pre 3 for a day now and, like WinstonSmith it's my first WebOS phone (last phone was a Centro). Compared to the Centro the Pre is pretty amazing, however I still have some niggles too:

• I'd like the option to turn off the ability to send texts with the ENTER button. I keep tapping it instead of Backspace and sending badly spelt messages to my friends!

!
    I've discovered you can do with with the Advanced System Behaviour patch, which you can install from Preware or webOS Quick Install.

Patch:AdvancedSystemBehavior - WebOS Internals
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The power cable seems well placed for a right-hander. Hold with left and operate with right. Lefties would have more to complain about.
    After years of progress in phone ergonomics, you want me to go back to using two hands?
    JLegacy likes this.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast