Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
    Ha! It's a smartphone, they all do from my experience. Easily solved tho, buy a Power Gorilla, you'll never worry about battery life again
    A few spare batteries might be a cheaper option.
    Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    Go on ebay, Gorillas go for a lot less when they come up and there's no shutting down swap. Plus, to get the same 21,000ma of power, thats a fair few batteries
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Too bad they don't exist, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
    Go on ebay, Gorillas go for a lot less when they come up and there's no shutting down swap. Plus, to get the same 21,000ma of power, thats a fair few batteries
    How would I look pulling out a 21,000mah battery at a bar?
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    You forgot to mention poor battery life
    I've had a good battery life experience. 1 day usage was impossible with my pre-.

A lot of people bought the iPhone 4 not realising how inappropriate they are for enterprise/commercial use because of battery life and now will be looking for alternatives.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pangi View Post
    I've had a good battery life experience. 1 day usage was impossible with my pre-.

A lot of people bought the iPhone 4 not realising how inappropriate they are for enterprise/commercial use because of battery life and now will be looking for alternatives.
    The iPhone 4 has a bigger battery, I got a lot more hours of use from that battery than I can get from the Pre 3. Even when I'm only using EDGE. You must not being doing much on there if it last you a day. I'm getting 13 hours tops. The battery has gone down 35% with data disabled and me not touching it for a day.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    The iPhone 4 has a bigger battery, I got a lot more hours of use from that battery than I can get from the Pre 3. Even when I'm only using EDGE. You must not being doing much on there if it last you a day. I'm getting 13 hours tops. The battery has gone down 35% with data disabled and me not touching it for a day.
    Yeouch!

Battery life is my number 1 concern in a smartphone. I'd take better battery life over a bigger screen, nfc, 4g, dual core, faster processor, more ram, better camera... anything!
    I've been playing with my Pre 3 for a day now and, like WinstonSmith it's my first WebOS phone (last phone was a Centro). Compared to the Centro the Pre is pretty amazing, however I still have some niggles too:
    • The Calendar app - coming from DateBK5 on PalmOS this one is lacking SOOO much functionality! I don't want my appointments to be big long vertical bars that take up the whole screen, I want to see the whole day's worth in one screen. I need categories that I can colour-code. I need appointment templates that I can insert to save re-typing "Meeting with..." etc. every time.
      There is so much more, I could go on all day!
    • Agreed about the Facebook app - Also I can to be notified there's a comment on an event and I can view the event by clicking that notification, but I can't view the comments for the event! Or comment myself!
    • Selecting text - I like the ability to move the cursor in a text field using OPT + gesture left/right. However the 'select text' using SHIFT seems really patchy. It seems to like selecting the word BEFORE the one I've just typed, or a group of words starting a few back! What am I doing wrong?
    • As a UK/Europe only phone, I want easy access to the sign. On my Centro I used to press L then ALT and voila! there was my sign. Now I have to press SYMB and find it with my finger in the little grid.
    • I'd like the option to turn off the ability to send texts with the ENTER button. I keep tapping it instead of Backspace and sending badly spelt messages to my friends!
    • Another mention of the auto-brightness setting. Where can I turn this off? I'll decide how bright I want the screen to be thankyou!

I do LOVE the phone though despite these niggles. Everyone I've shown it to has been thoroughly impressed and can't understand why they've never heard of it!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    Yeouch!

Battery life is my number 1 concern in a smartphone. I'd take better battery life over a bigger screen, nfc, 4g, dual core, faster processor, more ram, better camera... anything!
    Carrying a spare battery is a good solution, they fit in your wallet, and are smaller than a credit card. The problem is a battery for the Pre 3 can not be found yet, and probably never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    • The Calendar app - coming from DateBK5 on PalmOS this one is lacking SOOO much functionality!
    Once patches become available for Pre3 also, you will love UberCalendar. This made the difference for me.

• As a UK/Europe only phone, I want easy access to the sign. On my Centro I used to press L then ALT and voila! there was my sign. Now I have to press SYMB and find it with my finger in the little grid.
    Press SYM and hold, and while keeping it held down press the key that has or $. You will get a list of symbols which are "similar" to the one you pressed (i.e. only currency symbols). Keep SYM held down and press the currency key a few more times to step through each of the currency symbols. Release SYM when the right one is selected, and it will be inserted into the text. With a little bit of practice, you will know where your favourite currency symbol is and then just SYM + twice + release SYM gives the symbol you wanted.

This works just as well for accented characters. Holding SYM and pressing a will give you all kinds of accented a's ( etc.).

As for the other items, some of them I believe can be patched (so we will need to wait for patches to become available for the Pre3), others you get used to them and adjust.

Keep enjoying your phone

Max
    Just out of curiosity, where did you buy your Pre 3, and are there any more available. I'm trying to see if I can get shipped to me here in Canada. Did you get it from an online store?
    - Power cable plugs into the right hand side of the phone, which makes it really hard to use while charging (if you're right handed). I guess they want you to buy a Touchstone.
    The power cable seems well placed for a right-hander. Hold with left and operate with right. Lefties would have more to complain about.
    Press SYM and hold, and while keeping it held down press the key that has € or $. You will get a list of symbols which are "similar" to the one you pressed (i.e. only currency symbols). Keep SYM held down and press the currency key a few more times to step through each of the currency symbols. Release SYM when the right one is selected, and it will be inserted into the text. With a little bit of practice, you will know where your favourite currency symbol is and then just SYM + twice € + release SYM gives the symbol you wanted.
    Excellent, this is what forums are all about! Thankyou.
    Just out of curiosity, where did you buy your Pre 3
    I bought mine on contract from Mobile Phones - Best Mobile Phone Deals on Orange, O2, T-Mobile, 3, Vodafone. Total price over 12 months will be 216. Unless you were asking WinstonSmith....?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Once patches become available for Pre3 also, you will love UberCalendar. This made the difference for me.
    Wow, I had no idea UberCalendar did so much! Looks like I'll be sending another donation as soon as it's available for the Pre 3 :-)
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Carrying a spare battery is a good solution, they fit in your wallet, and are smaller than a credit card. The problem is a battery for the Pre 3 can not be found yet, and probably never will.
    I'm not sure about the Pre 3 but my Centro battery definitely fits my Pre 2.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I'd like the option to turn off the ability to send texts with the ENTER button. I keep tapping it instead of Backspace and sending badly spelt messages to my friends!
    Checkmate - this is patched in all versions of WebOS up to 2.1. Hopefully it will be patched for 2.2 as well. I installed it on my Pre Plus for the same reason.

As a side note, all patches can be found here: webOS-Patches Web Portal
    Just click on "Browse Patches" and select your OS version.
    Glad you are enjoying and getting to grips with your Pre3 . Its a great phone.

- Power cable plugs into the right hand side of the phone, which makes it really hard to use while charging (if you're right handed). I guess they want you to buy a Touchstone.
    Playhave the Touchstone for 15 - well worth it!

set a daily wake up alarm. Now I have a permanent icon in the notification area reminding me that there's an alarm set. That REALLY doesn't need to be there.
    Swipe it away - the alarm still goes off.

- Few customisation options, even compared to iOS.
    How so? I have three different alarms set and you could have more.

- Example, no way to set a different ringtone for SMS and calls.
    The ringtone on preferences for messaging can be different than the one for calls set it on preferences under SMS app menu.

- No way to have calls ring and vibrate, and my daily wake up alarm to just use a ringtone (no vibration).
    mine goes off on the touchstone and does not vibrate I will try it without to see if that is the reason why.

Facebook - like a UI for a primary school colouring in app.

lol - I like it. :-)

Bing Maps
    - US centric - ignores my region settings.
    - I'm in London, UK and all I get is a default view of the USA and it can't find my location.
    That is very annoying - google maps on the pre2 was better in that regard. I may try to get google maps from my pre2 onto the pre3 (any ideas folks?)

App Catalog
    - Slow to load and painful to browse.
    - Hard to find anything of interest.
    Could be much better.
    ___
    My Palm PDA history: m130 > Tungsten T > Tungsten T|X > Pre 2 > HP Pre 3 (unlocked)
    My Mobile history: Nokia 5146 > 3110 > Samsung D900 > N73 > Nokia 6300 > Pre 2 (convergence!) > HP Pre 3
    My Tablet history: HP TouchPad 32Gb (model A - 1st gen)
    With perhaps 1 or 2 exceptions all of those existed going back at least to the Pre-. I don't know about facebook I never use it.

I thought they were going to be serious issues(crashing, poor signal etc), but nothing new

Expecting the tracking# for my pre3 tomorrow, coming from Greece..
    Hey man, appreciate what you have. You don't like capital letters? You have NO idea what all the Pre-/+ faithful have been endured through... I laugh at your chirpings.
    WinstonSmith likes this.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Thanks for the feedback, great to hear. I wish I could get me one of those over here in the states.

Most of your issues have already been addressed but a couple of things of note are.

the phone is great as is, Its awesome with the patches and features offered by preware, everyone involved with that is amazing. Install that and look through the patches and apps regularly. Its sorted well so you can look for things by category or date. there are a lot of customizations without preware in the respective apps instead of a main setting app, but with preware it really opens up your options. I would really recommend advanced configuration for system preferences, advanced configuration for app launcher, and Device menu maxed out ultra, in that order if/when they become available for the pre3.

The phone sync's to nearly everything automatically, including profile pics from facebook google, watever. So the first couple of times in contacts will be slow as these cache. contacts is buttery smooth on my sprint pre plus. i do have it overclocked but your phone should still be faster. besides I never go into contacts with just type, just pop open the keyboard and type 2 letters and tap. here's a tip many people don't know. you can just type the initials of the contact you are looking for and it will bring it up in just type.

the form factor may not suit all, works great for me, but I never never use the usb port. The touchstone is an amazing thing and really helps set it apart from other phones. once you have it, it's hard to believe people fiddle with a cable to charge their phones. you can find them cheap all over now so pick up a few like i did so you can have next to your bed, on your desk, at work, all over the place.

the alarms I was disappointed with as well, especially since my palm treo was better. but there is a patch that will let you set daily alarms and another that will let you do 1 minute intervals, look for that really made a world of difference, although it seems to forget all my alarms after a while and I haven't figured out what causes it.

The alarm notification as will all notifications are awesome if you don't want to see it anymore just swipe it off the screen, haven't seen a more elegant or simple way to handle notifications on anything yet.

Messaging is great I love how it is combined, threaded and sorted by date. that's just me but I think its perfect. would be nice to be able to save them and there is with save/restore app. just doesn't save it with attachments you gotta copy over the attachment folder manually. Save/restore should be a bundled app, great to have if you ever need to swap phones or full erase because your profile will sync the apps but not the data associated with them. I.e. angry bird progress lol.

Facebook app is simple and works for me but I have had the same issues with invite comments and crap I block on the main site. the nice thing though is that you can go to the full site and everything works there.

The app catalog has all the sorting/ filtering options to find anything you want. IT may just be that there isn't as many apps available, especially for your new pre3 and your country.

I have google maps and it works great, just takes forever to load. I hate anything bing so I can see why you don't like it. with preware you should easily be able to get google maps installed, if its not in the apps there is probably a site you can download it from, may be a little more advanced to do than you might like.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    You can just swipe the alarm notification away, the alarm will still work
    This is not true on the Touchpad. Is it true for the Pre 3?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast