Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I tried teethering via the pre installed wlan hotspot as well as with freeTeether

I can connect to the Pre3 but can not access internet... 2 of my colleagues also having the Pre3 have the same issue...anyone else got a solution?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I tried, and you're right.
    It does connect, you can resolve DNS, but that's all, no surfing at all.

Maybe in a later update ?
    I have tried using the built in Mobile Hotspot and it worked fine for me?

Works fine for me. I've successfully tried:

Laptop-mobile hotspot-3G-web

Touchpad-mobile hotspot-3G-web

laptop-wifi freetether -3G-web

Laptop-bluetooth freetether-3G-web

Laptop-bluetooth freetether-wifi-web

Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    Works fine for me. I've successfully tried:

Laptop-mobile hotspot-3G-web

Touchpad-mobile hotspot-3G-web

laptop-wifi freetether -3G-web

Laptop-bluetooth freetether-3G-web

Laptop-bluetooth freetether-wifi-web

+1 All work fine for me - full internet
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    For FreeTether to work, you have to remove Mobile Hotspot off of your Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    This isn't true. Don't remove it. It works fine for me.

You might need to remove it if you want to freetether using usb, but works for me fine on bluetooth and wifi

I find mobile hotspot quicker and more convenient, so like to keep it, but free tether allows bluetooth and therefore can share wifi connection (o2 give me free wifi in hotspots so this is very useful)

Last edited by Andyf; 08/30/2011 at 01:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Not true. Maybe for USB. Don't need to remove for use of wifi or BT tethering with freetether on the Pre 3

My experience with Pre 3 wifi tethering as a whole is much better / less buggy using freetether than it has been with legacy pre's. The only difference being I had removed the MHS on my legacy Pre + and Pre 2 thinking I needed to do so for proper freetether operation. I left MHS installed but have not opened the app up even once on my Pre 3. I've used freetether about a dozen times on my Pre 3 so far. While I acknowledge there are other variables at play, I am sticking to my belief that leaving MHS installed is the best choice, at least on the Pre 3.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  9. H
    Have major problems with freetether.

Wifi. It say it is active but doesn't appear in a wifi scan from another laptop. I am also prevented from changing the SSID or encryption method.
    USB - caused my pre3 to crash. It was connected to Linux with network-manager/modemmanager
    Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Have major problems with freetether.

Wifi. It say it is active but doesn't appear in a wifi scan from another laptop. I am also prevented from changing the SSID or encryption method.
    USB - caused my pre3 to crash. It was connected to Linux with network-manager/modemmanager
    1). restart your pre3 no matter what your doing , exit any open cards and restart. I'm anal so I do a battery pull restart after shutting down. Mayor may not be required to make this process work.
    2). After rebooting your pre 3 go into freetether. make sure wifi tethering is off. if not turn it off, then cleanly exit freetether and then restart the pre 3.
    (again, I do a full power off restart and battery pull, but I can be anal. Not sure if its necessary to pull batt).
    3). after restarting, when you go into freetether and see wifi tethering is not turned on, then you can change the SSID I use webOSnet as my ssid.
    make sure to enable security with wpa2 and use a very simple password:
    1234567890 is one example of an easy simple pw. Not very secure, but right now we dont care - we just want to get your tethering to work
    4). Check tcpip settings before enabling wifi tethering. It should work fine using either of the devices default subnet ranges - the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx or the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx subnets
    5). now enable wifi tethering.
    6). test
  11.    #11  
    hmmm strange as both is not working on a german Pre3

just one question to the people where teethering is working: was there a systemupdate available on your Pre3 and did you install it?

in another thread i saw that some Pre3 users already had a system update available via OTA - while we always get back that our Pre3 is up to date when we check for an update...
    so maybe this teethering bug is what they fixed with the update... just guessing...
    Quote Originally Posted by hmmmdada View Post
    hmmm strange as both is not working on a german Pre3

just one question to the people where teethering is working: was there a systemupdate available on your Pre3 and did you install it?

in another thread i saw that some Pre3 users already had a system update available via OTA - while we always get back that our Pre3 is up to date when we check for an update...
    so maybe this teethering bug is what they fixed with the update... just guessing...
    I have an EU Pre and for whatever reason my device has not received any update. Im pretty sure the issue in not a tethering bug with webOS 2.2.0 as released on my device because it works . If you have followed the instructions I offered in the previous post, I am going to go out on a limb and suggest the tethering problem may be carrier specific. Maybe they have it blocked.
  13.    #13  
    Strange...before i had a pixi plus and teethering is perfectly working on it...when i take my sim from the pre3 to the pixi it works...

14.    #14  
    Just got it working!!!
    Automatic settings don't work so i tried manual ip settings and voila - running... With preinstalled wifi hotspot...

Works just fine with mine. No need to uninstall mobile hot spot.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Hey mate, can you give me the exact manual settings you used? I have been tearing my hair out trying to get the mobile hotspot and even freetether to work on my Pre 3 and Touchpad. I get them both connected okay, in Wifi the phone's DHCP serves up and allocates an ip to the TP no problem. But it just cant get through to the internet via 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by hmmmdada View Post
    Strange...before i had a pixi plus and teethering is perfectly working on it...when i take my sim from the pre3 to the pixi it works...

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fkpaul View Post
    Hey mate, can you give me the exact manual settings you used? I have been tearing my hair out trying to get the mobile hotspot and even freetether to work on my Pre 3 and Touchpad. I get them both connected okay, in Wifi the phone's DHCP serves up and allocates an ip to the TP no problem. But it just cant get through to the internet via 3G.
    I had the same exact problem with the preinstalled mobile hotspot.
    so I tried the freetether with the same problems as well but I finally got it to work after trying all doing the below:

download freetether thru preware.
    In freetether if you have trouble with creating the WiFi WPA password don't give up. Just turn off all the modes and exit freetether.
    Relaunch it and go to WiFi pref. You then should be able to configure.
    when choosing a password unfortunately I couldnt get it to work when I used an alphanumeric one. Its just gotta be a numeric. Try 12345678 for example.
    Once done try searching and connecting to that set WiFi network name and with the simple password. It should work now.
    Quote Originally Posted by sureshotz View Post
    I had the same exact problem with the preinstalled mobile hotspot.
    so I tried the freetether with the same problems as well but I finally got it to work after trying all doing the below:

download freetether thru preware.
    In freetether if you have trouble with creating the WiFi WPA password don't give up. Just turn off all the modes and exit freetether.
    Relaunch it and go to WiFi pref. You then should be able to configure.
    when choosing a password unfortunately I couldnt get it to work when I used an alphanumeric one. Its just gotta be a numeric. Try 12345678 for example.
    Once done try searching and connecting to that set WiFi network name and with the simple password. It should work now.
    That's odd, I had no problems at all using FreeTether with my Pre3 and using an alphanumeric code. Just the same as it has always been with my Pre-, a little delay before traffic flows (opening an app that uses data on the Pre3, e.g. email, seems to kick it into life a bit quicker).

Just tested it now by connecting my old Pre- to the freeTether network on my Pre3, data is flowing within a few seconds...
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    That's odd, I had no problems at all using FreeTether with my Pre3 and using an alphanumeric code. Just the same as it has always been with my Pre-, a little delay before traffic flows (opening an app that uses data on the Pre3, e.g. email, seems to kick it into life a bit quicker).

Just tested it now by connecting my old Pre- to the freeTether network on my Pre3, data is flowing within a few seconds...
    That option worked so as soon as i got it to work i didnt try anything else. Didnt want to brake it
    Have you tried it with a touchpad.? sometimes the clients are particular i think.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I can use neither Mobuile Hot Spor, nor FreeTether.

The both connect, but nothing works
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast