@sureshotz ....... SUCCESS !!! Thanks mate, I uninstalled freeTether, and then reinstalled it again. I had no problem configuring an alphanumeric password so all cool. For whatever reason, its now tethering beautifully via WiFi. Awesome yeah this community rocks. Thanks so much.
Originally Posted by sureshotz
UPDATE: okay... I was so excited about the tethering working via freeTether I was quite content to leave it at that and be done with it. However my curiosity was peaked and I decided to give the Pre 3's built in Mobile Hotspot another whirl, just for sh!ts and giggles. Low an behold it now starts working. Someone mentioned earlier the Automatic config under the Mobile Hotspot / Preferences / Advanced Settings don't work so I manually entered a custom config on both the Pe 3 and the TP to get it working.
So it's all working for me now, I'm not complaining, but thought I'd share anyway.
To sum things up for me -
1. Bought a Pre 3
2. Tried getting Mobile Hotspot to tether with TP - no dice
3. Installed Preware on Pre 3
4. Installed freeTether on Pre 3 - still no dice
5. Got very sad, resorted to using Android phone with my same SIM card/carrier to tether TP - works (so suggests my problem was not likely to be carrier related)
6. Posted on this forum, was advised to try re-installing freeTether - WORKS !
7. Tried (again) getting Mobile Hotspot to tether with TP (using custom/ manual config on both devices) - WORKS !
Just to be clear, I didn't receive any OTA updates during this time to either the Pre 3 or to the TP. So for now, it seems the action of installing/ uninstalling/ reinstalling freeTether helped get my tethering working with both freeTether and Mobile Hotspot. Go figure?
Thanks again all.