webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > pre3 video call review plz
pre3 video call review plz

Old 08/29/2011, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

hi pre3 lucky owners,

can anyone plz post comments/review on the pre3 video calling.

does it work with other skype devices?
does it work on 3g/wifi?
video quality?
does it show my skype online status to others using skype?

a video demo will be nice

thanks,
p25o1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p25o1 View Post
hi pre3 lucky owners,

can anyone plz post comments/review on the pre3 video calling.

does it work with other skype devices?
does it work on 3g/wifi?
video quality?
does it show my skype online status to others using skype?

a video demo will be nice

thanks,
works with other skype devices
works on 3g & wifi
haven't tried video call yet
shows the skype status online based on your setting in the messages app
bigcatny is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: p25o1
Old 08/29/2011, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

thanks for the quick reply,

please update us one you get a chance to try the video calling.

can you try it with a PC, it will give you a feeling to the quality + will it accept skype text chats?
Old 08/29/2011, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have to wait for my wife to get back because I can't chat with myself.

messaging works well that's how I realized that I had skype - friend saw me online and we had text chat. works like sms. that's also how I found out that it shows my status online. sms went on using both wifi and later 3G

do other phones work like this? totally cool
bigcatny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

nope they don't. thats the by far most incredible feature of webos - synergy. it is so cool you don't even recognize it - until you leave webos. then someone comes to you and shows you a third party app (whats app) on his android: look how cool it is, it is integrating every messanger in one view. and the webos user is asking himself: WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH THIS os????
Shihatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 01:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

video skype work as well. My bro called me on video skype, but I was at a chinese coffee shop, pretty noisy place, so I turn it off after few seconds. But it works. He thought I was at home.
PalmoAnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 01:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

skype video call with my pre3 works very nicely. Yesterday I made a two way video call from my pre3 in Israel to my friend's PC in India and it was very smooth. Of course the video isn't as sharp as we would like it to be but that's not different from any skype call
alonhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 04:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

all sounds good,
i'm just waiting to see how will i get a pre3, since most/all sites are not having stock :-(
any recommendation ?

i'm still interested to see a video of the video calling , since i couldn't manage to see any on youtube
Old 08/31/2011, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnangnan View Post
Skype is integrated in the messaging and phone app. You have to set up a skype account (account preferences).
Sorry, should have realized myself. Synergy makes me feel dumb!

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 03:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Erm... Silly question: How did you get Skype? Was it preinstalled in your Pre 3?
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 03:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
Erm... Silly question: How did you get Skype? Was it preinstalled in your Pre 3?
What pre 3 do you have?
I had it out of the box on the azerty Pre 3 from expansys.fr
kopusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 03:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
Skype is integrated in the messaging and phone app. You have to set up a skype account (account preferences).
gnangnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 03:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

Does Skype video work to an iPhone? I've read about problems with a Touchpad and iPhone...
uptherams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2011, 10:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

Does anyone experience a problem where when signing into Skype on their Pre 3 it just says "unknown error"? It signs in all right, but for some reason it shows this error.
minority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2011, 10:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minority View Post
Does anyone experience a problem where when signing into Skype on their Pre 3 it just says "unknown error"? It signs in all right, but for some reason it shows this error.
I think it's an occasional problem with Skype. I had this yesyerday, but today it works fine.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Old 09/03/2011, 11:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
I have to wait for my wife to get back because I can't chat with myself.

messaging works well that's how I realized that I had skype - friend saw me online and we had text chat. works like sms. that's also how I found out that it shows my status online. sms went on using both wifi and later 3G

do other phones work like this? totally cool
it is unbelievably awesome! E.g. you get an e-mail from smbd and a green dot shows, next to "From:" if the sender is online in skype!

In your experience does skype eat more battery?

Kaido
kaidoloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2011, 01:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minority View Post
did you figure out this problem or did it go away? I get this same error. Also, what do you mean it 'signs in all right'? The error prevents me from signing in.
everette13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2011, 09:52 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by everette13 View Post
did you figure out this problem or did it go away? I get this same error. Also, what do you mean it 'signs in all right'? The error prevents me from signing in.
Hey everette,

I now only use my Pre 3 offline (I've turned off data to conserve battery life) so it's not something I've noticed as of late. But I just tried signing into Skype and no error appeared, so I'm going to sort of assume it is gone - wait and see if anyone else replies and says they are still experiencing the problem?

And when I say it signs in all right, I mean that even though it says unknown error, I'm still able to go into messaging and then buddies and all my Skype contacts appear online, as they should.
minority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 04:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

I am so embarrassed to admit I cannot figure out how to use skype on my pre3 ATT 2.2.4 on which I have already added my skype account under system/accounts ...I can't figure out what to do to use this for SMS (text messages) ...also, I would like to see if I can make video calls or video chats ...is there a simple-minded (for my simple mind) wiki to lead me to this like a bull with a nose ring??
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 01:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
I am so embarrassed to admit I cannot figure out how to use skype on my pre3 ATT 2.2.4 on which I have already added my skype account under system/accounts ...I can't figure out what to do to use this for SMS (text messages) ...also, I would like to see if I can make video calls or video chats ...is there a simple-minded (for my simple mind) wiki to lead me to this like a bull with a nose ring??
Go to Messaging > Buddies

If you have already added Skype contacts it will show them on that list, and if they are online click on them and on the next window, on the top right corner you can select the way you want to contact them: google, skype, yahoo, etc.
edxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: patapoof

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0