Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gnangnan
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know the total number of pre3 that were produced?
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    only HP knows this answer,currently maybe they might just have little stock in hand.However,who knows the terms in the contract they signed with the manufacturer.Therefore,they would rather firesales(if the number is huge including both in hand and yet to be produced as in the contract) or maybe with contract(if the number of pre 3 is little)...
    I would imagine a considerable smaller amount than the TouchPad, that's for sure.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  4.    #4  
    That would be interesting to know how big the community will eventually grow. Not much I guess. I hope webos- internals will get some.
    I think it a small number, as the Eurostore is only selling them at full price, which suggests they have not got that many.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    They couldn't interest a single carrier in Europe to take this phone - it's got to be low.
    From all available information I have at hand, the numbers have to be very little.

1) AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $Palm$ $EuroStore$ $only$ $had$ $120$-$200$ $units$. $They$ $are$ $desperately$ $trying$ $to$ $secure$ $some$ $more$, $but$ $it$ $is$ $all$ $but$ $certain$ $they$ $get$ $some$. $I$ $would$ $not$ $bet$ $money$ $on$ $that$.

2) HP Germany were sold out in minutes. I called them 20 minutes after the FS was announced. I don't think that a few buyers bought hundreds of units. I rather think they had very little stock. Also, there is only one Pre3 on ebay Germany yet, this may also be an indicator

3) Hardly any reseller got ahold of a batch of Pre3. CleverMobile sold some apparently, but only very limited numbers and UK residents only. Most of the others had to cancel all or at least the huge majority of contracts.

4) There are most likely no Pre3's coming to North America.
    Follow me on Twitter: @patbateman1612 !
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Carphonewarehouse has about 700 but I think that a number of those are already allocated to people who ordered them at 500 but will get them at 69 when they are firesaled on tuesday.

That should be taken with a pinch of salt I trust my source who is a friend of mine who I spoke to about this About ten minutes ago.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Interesting news. Amazon is rumored to get a discount, too. I still hope that HP carves in and allows the Eurostore to cut price, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by PatBateman View Post
    Interesting news. Amazon is rumored to get a discount, too. I still hope that HP carves in and allows the Eurostore to cut price, too!
    If Amazon get the discount and the Eurostore not, it would be very unfair...
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PatBateman View Post
    Where did you hear this?
    Quote Originally Posted by d3ac0n View Post
    Where did you hear this?
    We've talked twice with Amazon (one time about the Pre 3 and one time about accessories) and they have said that they are in close contact with HP to find a solution. We are supposed to call on wednesday for new information.
    PatBateman likes this.
    @ deacon:

Nothing to add to gnangnan's post !
    Follow me on Twitter: @patbateman1612 !
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    So if I am not mistaken Eurostore is selling them at full price WITH the disclaimer that NO PRICE reduction and in case they DO GET ok with HP to sell in reduced prices they could refuse the refund in the already sold stock cause anyone who bought them agreed to the full price...

I know, far fetched but still...
    Quote Originally Posted by d3ac0n View Post
    So if I am not mistaken Eurostore is selling them at full price WITH the disclaimer that NO PRICE reduction and in case they DO GET ok with HP to sell in reduced prices they could refuse the refund in the already sold stock cause anyone who bought them agreed to the full price...

I know, far fetched but still...
    It's possible that it will happen, but I think that Eurostore especially PSherlock is so fair to refund it. Nevertheless I will retain my Pre 3 even though there is no price reduction because of the promised refund for early adopters of the TouchPad.
    The Pre3 was about to launch in Germany - which is a big market.
    And for economies of scale and keeping the unit costs low just the QWERTZ Pre3s will have been in the 5-figures.

During the firesale they were gone very quickly - and I guess there were only tens or at most a few hundred available (at HP store).

I bet there is a truckload of them sitting in a container or warehouse that were on the way from Asia.
    There are rumors that HP made a deal with a big retailer.

Carriers - in hindsight (after HP declared the end of webos devices by HP and their plans to get rid of their whole consumer business) my guess is that it wasn't disinterest by carriers that kept Pre3 announcement from appearing on carriers.

The decision to get rid of the consumer part of the business surely wasn't made on the day they went public with that. That decision - I assume - has been made at least weeks ago and probably been considered months before that. Therefore it's reasonable to assume that HP at some point stopped negotiations with carriers (why get into contracts that you don't plan to fulfill).

O2 Germany did offer the original Pre. And then in May also offered the Veer.
    At that time it was open whether they would also offer the Pre3. A few weeks later they tweeted that they won't offer the Pre.

Offering the Veer shows that O2 was still interested in selling webos devices.
    Not offering the flagship webos device only weeks later leads me to the conclusion that in-between O2 learned that there is no future - or HP simply didn't bother offering it anymore. O2 had plenty of Pre customers who had those close for 2 years. Offering the Pre3 as the obvious successor would have made plenty of sense.

O2 did offer
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    I am trying to estimate the number of HP Pre 3 units produced. You can help me by supplying the model you have (France - AZERTY, Germany - QWERTZ, UK - QWERTY, USA AT&T-QWERTY .... and operator like unlocked, AT&T .....)

<edited by staff>

Obvious the EU HP Pre 3 from France and Germany had the TAC 355825 and FAC 04 followed by serial number which consists of 6 digits and control digit LUHN at the end I haven't had UK phone in my hands for the moment, so I would appreciate comment on that.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/09/2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: removed content per forum rules
    As a PM, or directly here ?