Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    My preference would be to get a QWERTY Pre 3, but at present, it looks like I would be paying around $700 for one. I can get an AZERTY Pre 3 for $300 though. Then I might play around with changing the software mapping and replacing the keyboard. Thoughts on this? Is it achievable and is it worth it?
    Palm Pre /Palm Pre /Pre2 Keyboard

There are QWERTY keyboard available for sale for Pre/Pre+/Pre2 in chinese auction site but I am not sure whether it works for Pre3. Can anyone confirm this one for us? Are they the same?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    The size isn't even the same. I don't see it fitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    The size isn't even the same. I don't see it fitting.
    U mean the keyboard size isn't the same or the phone itself?
    From the reviews I'm pretty sure the keyboard is bigger.
    Indeed the Pre3 keyboard is a different size to the Pre-/+/2

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  7.    #7  
    Yes, the Pre 3 keyboard is also bigger than the Pre 2 keyboard. So, it seems that this is possible to do for a Pre 2....so maybe we just need to wait for the spare keyboard parts for the Pre 3...and for instructions on how to do the change.
    I'm considering doing this.....anyone else interested in the adventure? Shall we do it?
  8.    #8  
    Or should we wait and see if we can get a QWERTY Pre 3 for much the same price? I don't want to miss out, so that is why I am considering the AZERTY Pre 3 and then trying to convert it to QWERTY.
    Quote Originally Posted by jodihansen View Post
    Yes, the Pre 3 keyboard is also bigger than the Pre 2 keyboard. So, it seems that this is possible to do for a Pre 2....so maybe we just need to wait for the spare keyboard parts for the Pre 3...and for instructions on how to do the change.
    I'm considering doing this.....anyone else interested in the adventure? Shall we do it?
    I doubt it. Mainland China received a lot of broken/RMA electronic products every year. I think they salvaged the keyboard from them. By the time we can see a Pre3 keyboard in online store I think my phone is already broken.
  10.    #10  
    Oh.
    So, how usable is a phone with an AZERTY keyboard set to English? Is it just a few letters switched around? It's just that it's $300 for AZERTY and $700 for QWERTY....unless there is a firesale coming, I am quick enough and they ship to Australia.
    I think it is possible to change the keyboard language in the OS just as in Pre/Pre+/Pre2 but the physical layout is another thing.
    Why don't you just buy the qwerty thru mobiles.com.uk for 315 sim free.

13.    #13  
    I have looked at mobiles.co.uk but I can't find it under SIM free phones? I found it on contract there, but not off contract. The other difficulty is that I don't think that they ship to Australia. It would be nice if I am wrong. Does anyone know how to find an unlocked Pre 3 on their site?
    Just above the list of contracts is a sort box - sim free is there.

No friends working in the UK or have a branch office there?

15.    #15  
    I have a friend who is living in the UK....but actually just returning from a holiday to AU....so I might be able to get them to grab one for me when they get home and have rested up.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    Just above the list of contracts is a sort box - sim free is there.
    I must be blind since I don't see the sort box. Do I select Vodafone first? I can only see contracts. I must say that I don't find the site very easy to use.
    I must be blind since I don't see the sort box. Do I select Vodafone first? I can only see contracts. I must say that I don't find the site very easy to use.
    it seems they took away the option - sorry - was there yesterday
  18.    #18  
    Oh o.k. Thanks for checking. My theory is that they have stripped it for sale from everywhere due to anticipation of a firesale. I'd love to get it cheap, but the problem with a firesale is that it makes it harder to obtain one since they sell too fast. I'd prefer to pay $300 now and secure one than to risk missing out in a firesale. The problem is that I cannot find them anywhere....except for AZERTY at expansys.fr or QWERTY on eBay at higher price....and no "Buy it now". Maybe I need to wait and see if I can get one in a firesale (don't like my chances if it happens while Australia is sleeping) or obtain one from eBay after the firesale.
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Oh o.k. Thanks for checking. My theory is that they have stripped it for sale from everywhere due to anticipation of a firesale. I'd love to get it cheap, but the problem with a firesale is that it makes it harder to obtain one since they sell too fast. I'd prefer to pay $300 now and secure one than to risk missing out in a firesale. The problem is that I cannot find them anywhere....except for AZERTY at expansys.fr or QWERTY on eBay at higher price....and no "Buy it now". Maybe I need to wait and see if I can get one in a firesale (don't like my chances if it happens while Australia is sleeping) or obtain one from eBay after the firesale.
    Hey mate,thinking the same with you...Since it is hardly to get one from firesale,therefore,after thinking of this issue for 3days.I have ordered from expansys france today.I don't mind about azerty since this is my first mobile with full slide-out keyboard,I think i can get use to it.

At the moment,just not sure if expansys will give any refund to us when there is a firesales.
    jodihansen likes this.
  20.    #20  
    Alright......I have (finally) decided to do that too. I just placed my order with expansys.fr.
    We will have a couple of keys in a different order....but there are a few of us going down this path....so surely there will be a thread on the patch to software change the keyboard to QWERTY for those of us who want to.

So, anyway, now I have secured one for myself and don't have to stress so much about the firesale. If I see one for less than I already paid in the firesale then I will probably get it and then later sell the AZERTY one....but now at least if I miss the firesale due to time differences....being asleep or at work, etc, then hopefully this order doesn't get cancelled and that I have now secured one.

I saw in another thread on here that people ordering from France have been asked to submit photo copies of identification and credit card. I paid via PayPal, so will see if I get asked for that too.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast