Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jonnyg
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I mean, seriously, have you ever, ever seen such an absolute ******** of misinformation and decisions changing.

If your gonna sell it at £69, like you show on your website, why not let us with Eurostore Palm orders get a rebate too....?

Bargh

*vent over*

<staff edit - language>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/26/2011 at 09:57 AM.
    tomhut and local.bin like this.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I am comparing this situation with the antenna gate thing that Apple faced a few months back. Apple acted swift with the free bumper thingy. Ideal? Hell no! But successful non the less.

When HP management decided the liquidation of the TP, they made 1 mistake: They let ebay traders order lots of them just to profit, leaving the -few but loyal, WebOS customers in limbo. Strike ONE
    Then they decided that Pre 3 stock in Germany deserved a firesale, but the rest of Europe could wait and see... Strike TWO
    After initial -artificial demand for the Pre 3 in their official retailer (Eurostore) soared beyond expectations the became greedy. I don't know who made the decision for no price cuts, HP UK or HP USA HQ, but either way the only thing they accomplished is to make HP look like a clusterf*** and not a well organized company. That's Strike THREE and they are outta here (for me at least)
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d3ac0n View Post
    I am comparing this situation with the antenna gate thing that Apple faced a few months back. Apple acted swift with the free bumper thingy. Ideal? Hell no! But successful non the less.

When HP management decided the liquidation of the TP, they made 1 mistake: They let ebay traders order lots of them just to profit, leaving the -few but loyal, WebOS customers in limbo. Strike ONE
    Then they decided that Pre 3 stock in Germany deserved a firesale, but the rest of Europe could wait and see... Strike TWO
    After initial -artificial demand for the Pre 3 in their official retailer (Eurostore) soared beyond expectations the became greedy. I don't know who made the decision for no price cuts, HP UK or HP USA HQ, but either way the only thing they accomplished is to make HP look like a ********* and not a well organized company. That's Strike THREE and they are outta here (for me at least)
    Not to mention they also promised UK customers the firesale would go ahead, they are not going back on their word.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/26/2011 at 09:58 AM.
    The big mistake they made is by pricing the devices *way* too low - even for a firesale.

At these *ridiculously* low prices there was obviously a wide chasm between demand and supply. This makes it obvious to everybody and their granny that there is a quick buck (or 150) to be made here. Traders then - of course - made the situation worse. But there wouldn't have been nearly enough anyway. Even in a parallel universe where there is no opportunistic traders (and not much wrong with that either - it sucks for us - but HP created the situation, there is nothing actually wrong for somebody to by 10s and re-sell them).

HP should have sold the devices at twice the price. It would have taken a few days instead of a few hours to sell out - but it still would have sold - because that's still firesale cheap. HP would have lost less, there would have been less opportunistic trades and more of us would have had a chance to get a cheap device.
    The new (unopened) TPs that I have been following on ebay for a week now are still selling at more than 300 Euros.

Apart from all that - of course it would have been a nice gesture if HP had restricted sales to 1-2 devices per person. But slowing sales while trying to get rid of the product and loosing the customers anyway probably didn't make much sense to them at the time.

What we don't know for sure for now is:
    a) Is HP simply inept and confused
    b) Did they plan to create buzz by having people form lines, crashing shop servers and making people run around the interwebs looking for more devices? If they are in talks with a company that intends to buy webos at a good (for HP) price - then this was a cool marketing trick.

I think a) is more likely given HPs mishandling, confused strategy and bad PRPRPR.
    The hope is that I'm wrong and it turns out to be b).

Nothing makes a product more cool looking than hordes of people struggling to buy it (though it helps when you make a profit when you eventually sell it ;-) ).
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I think this:-

HP PreĀ³ series specifications - HP Home & Home Office products

plus refusing to let Eurostore honour with a rebate, was the final kicker
    I think this whole chaos results from the fact that HP Germany, HP UK and HP France ... (etc) are all very independent entities, weakly bound to a global corporate marketing strategy.The fact that each country-store only sells inside its own country reinforces this idea. Usually this is good as they can more easily adapt to changes in their local markets. In this case however it's total chaos.
    Honestly this whole thing is a mess. They definitely increased Mindshare but it was amazing the amount of people who did not even know what WebOS was or thought it ran Android!!! All in all I think they handled it badly by not limiting the amount of Touchpads that could be purchased. Although how could they know it would create such a frenzy.. The people I find humorous are the ones who are pay a little less then retail off ebay because it is a hot item now.!
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    What we don't know for sure for now is:
    a) Is HP simply inept and confused
    b) Did they plan to create buzz by having people form lines, crashing shop servers and making people run around the interwebs looking for more devices? If they are in talks with a company that intends to buy webos at a good (for HP) price - then this was a cool marketing trick.
    I think the answer is

c) The HP management that made this decision(probably a half dozen management layers up from WebOS products) doesn't care either way, everyone below them are getting slammed from 100 different directions. It sounds like they are prepared to write the entire thing off (maybe even assuming even at $99 they wouldn't sell - regardless on how much they lose it doesn't matter the decision is made to exit the market, HP is big enough that in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter).

I hope someone buys WebOS but I really can't think of who would at this point, I hope more that HP will just release the source, though that's probably even a more remote possibility.

Whatever the reason it's not going to stop me from trying to get a Pre3. And I am still waiting patiently on the TPs I ordered from HP SMB last weekend, the "estimated ship date" has come and gone without them shipping and no communication from HP. I waited on hold two days ago for 5 hours to talk to someone only to run out of time and they closed shop for the day, and their voicemail was full. Not going to call back till next week. I'm in no rush as long as I get the product, my 32GB TP works fine.