Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GodShapedHole
  1.    #1  
    Hi ppl

the Pre 3 auto dim is pretty aggressive anyway to disable it?

B
    Does teh Pre 3 have autodim ?
    Anders
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudofilosofen View Post
    Does teh Pre 3 have autodim ?
    Anders
    The guy above you just said the Pre3's autodim feature is too aggressive for his taste and you ask whether it has autodim?

All webOS devices ever have had it.
    barryb20 likes this.
    ??? I have the first Pre, and it does not have auto dim.

I also happen to have the Pre 3 - from Clove.co.uk - and can not find any auto dim on that either ?

Please show me the auto dim feature.

Anders
    My Pre automatically adjusts screen brightness accordiing to ambient brightness, automatically dimming the screen when it's dark and making it brighter when it's bright. I'd call that auto dim.

My Pre also automatically switches off the screen when I hold it to my head to talk on it. I'd also call that auto dim.

I can't think of anything else that could be described by 'auto dim'. What do you mean by it?
    Ok.
    The only thing my pres do, is switch of the screen when I bring it to my head to talk.

The two other functions: 1. Turn the screen lighter when it is bright (day)light, or 2. dim the screen when it is dark, do NOT my pres do (and that is what I call an auto dim)?

Where do you set the settings for letting the Pre do this? And which Pre do you have, Pre, Pre plus, Pre 2 or Pre 3?

Anders
    Very interesting.

I've had a Pre (minus) in the past but now I have a Pre Plus - both of them did it out of the box, and that's the way they're supposed to. I'm not actually aware of any way to manually disable (or, for that matter, enable) this feature as it's just supposed to be there.

Launch your Device Info app, go into the app menu, tap 'Tests' and then select 'Interactive Tests'. A new scene with various self-diagnosis tests will appear. Select 'Screen'. One of the tests in this cluster (Light Sensor) will test the sensor in your phone.

I can't be sure but I have a feeling that your unit is suffering from a hardware defect. You say your phone has NEVER automatically dimmed the screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    Hi ppl

the Pre 3 auto dim is pretty aggressive anyway to disable it?

B
    The Veer has the same issue. It's been "logged" in HP's bug tracking system, so if the Veer does in fact get a software update, we may also see a fix for the Pre3 at some point in the future. That seems unlikely, though, given the Pre3's limited release.

We may have to wait for help on this from our friends at webOS Internals and elsewhere.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the replies, yes the Pre 3 (not tried on the 2) does adjust the brightness dependent on surrounding ambient light.

I do hope this gets adjusted or even better a disable option!

B
    It is pretty aggressive - only thing I've found so far is that when it dims too much I go to the screen app and adjust the brightness up and it seems to work.

I think it's somehow relative to how dim you have set the brightness.
    Yes,
    I have now tested it on my Pre 3, and you are quite right, it does auto dim - I would never have noticed it, if not for this forum!

But in my opinion, it do not get bright enough in daylight, and not dark enough in darkness :-)

I have always used brightnessfix on my original Pre, because I did not notice the autodimming... ;-)

Brightnessfix does work - sort of - on the Pre 3 also, but it does not turn the pre off when sat on the touchstone, like it did on my original Pre.

I am hoping for a fix for this :-) JAson ? :-)

Anders
    +1 to disable the auto dim , its giving me the sh its already
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Pre also got auto dim but I guess you have to set your screen to 2min to be able to see it otherwise it will turn off before the dim timer.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    My Pre automatically adjusts screen brightness accordiing to ambient brightness, automatically dimming the screen when it's dark and making it brighter when it's bright. I'd call that auto dim.

My Pre also automatically switches off the screen when I hold it to my head to talk on it. I'd also call that auto dim.

I can't think of anything else that could be described by 'auto dim'. What do you mean by it?
    When the display switches off when it gets close to your face that is not auto dim. That is the proximity sensor which has nothing to do with light but rather a sensor near the very top of the display that turns off the display when near something (usually your face). If a screen protector starts to peel off it can interfere with it, which I learned the hard way.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Hi everyone,

Not sure if this issue has been fully addressed for all but the 'Disable Light Sensitive Dimming' patch from Preware works perfectly. Hope this helps.