Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slyb View Post
    Not only won't they ship to the US, but they won't even bill you if you're outside of Europe.

I verified this myself on their site.
    ****et... Maybe I'll try the touchpad swap approach to getting one...
    Quote Originally Posted by d3ac0n View Post
    No
    (read: this time, please do to clog up the eurostore trying to order if you aren't in the EU! )
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    (read: this time, please do to clog up the eurostore trying to order if you aren't in the EU! )
    To be more precise: The only countries you can order are:

Austria
    Belgium
    Denmark
    Finland
    France
    Germany (QWERTY only just a reminder for our Deutch friends)
    Greece
    Ireland
    Italy
    Luxembourg
    Netherlands
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    U.K.

FYI
    To be more precise: The only countries you can order are:

Austria
    Belgium
    Denmark
    Finland
    France
    Germany (QWERTY only just a reminder for our Deutch friends)
    Greece
    Ireland
    Italy
    Luxembourg
    Netherlands
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    U.K.

FYI
    Crap, I have relatives in Poland I was hoping could hook me up. Looks like I'll have to wait for the flood of Pre3 on Ebay in the coming weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    ****et... Maybe I'll try the touchpad swap approach to getting one...
    Crap... so they won't process my Canadian card even if my shipping address is UK...
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Crap... so they won't process my Canadian card even if my shipping address is UK...
    Exactly.
    How much will the Pre 3 be reduced to? 65?
    iPhone 4 16GB Black | iPad 2 WiFi 32GB Black
    HP TouchPad 16GB
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    Rumor is 120 pounds with accessories bundle
    Would a person in the US be able to buy it from the Palm/HP Eurostore?
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    no. need euro card and euro address.

i know there's a lot to read, but this has been discussed at length in several forum threads here
    Rumor is 120 pounds with accessories bundle
    Sounds reasonable. Where did you hear that?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    Sounds reasonable. Where did you hear that?

Palm Eurostore customer service rep. Said expected price would be 100-120 pounds
    Oh I was hoping for cheaper
    iPhone 4 16GB Black | iPad 2 WiFi 32GB Black
    HP TouchPad 16GB
    Quote Originally Posted by iWannaBeAdored View Post
    Oh I was hoping for cheaper
    Dunno sounds like a bargain to me. Plus they'll never get rid of all those touchstones and all otherwise. They could prolly charge a fair bit more and still sell out several times over

So, this is what I think is happening:

HP is telling Euro carriers that if they (HP) sell the phone discounted and unlocked w/o contract to their customers at a discount, then they will sell a ton of them and the carriers will, in turn, sell less of their other phones on contract, obviously, as more customers will have a Pre 3 off contract, which will yield lower overall contract sales for the carriers.

So, in an effort to make more money on them by getting the carrier subsidized price, they are using this logic to get the carriers to buy them at wholesale from HP, and then sell them, on contract, to their customers.

I think the problem is, the carriers are likely really worried about WebOS support from HP being reduced, or, going to another company with their PC unit, so, they don't want to touch the phone.

And that's the stalemate that HP is in right now...

So, if the carriers hold their position, then HP might just have to re-release the phones to retailers and their Euro store for general sales to blow out whatever inventory they have. If the carriers see the logic to HP's argument, then the sales will be through them and the HP Euro store for Pre 3 on contract only.

They are banking on the demand for the device to be so heavy that customers will sign up for the contract just to get them.

IMHO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

^Interesting theory, but in the UK all the major carriers said no, infact, none even had the pre 3 in stock or listed on their pages! even before HP decided to announce their exit.

So, i dont know what sort leverage HP is trying to get? if your theory proves correct.

Plus the Iphone 5 will be out in a few weeks, so, doesn't sound like a great deal.

People could pickup an Iphone 4 for free with a contract.

Of course, I am speaking from a UK perspective.
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    HP eurostore does not sell devices on contract
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Yeah the problem with this theory is that there are no eurocarriers - simply intermediaries who sell contracts and then add on phones.

However, in the UK, the only high street retailer with stock is the Carphone warehouse - I am half expecting them to cancel all orders and then offer the pre 3 to people who will take one of their medium price contracts - they would make more money this way. In the touchpad forum, you can see I added an thread that says a tech website has an internal email from carphone warehouse saying they will give away the rest of their touchpad stock to people who take a phone contract.
    I think it comes down to two things:

-hp not wanting to refund existing sales

-hp wanting to get rid of all stock (phones and accessories) asap.

The first point is not supplying any more stock to retailers. So they dont drop their prices and previous buyers cant complain. Contractually this is difficult if they were already on order, maybe exolaining some of the delay

The second is done by selling all through eurostore. Obviously that requires significant logistics and packing to get all the accessories combines in as bundles, explaining more delay. I'm sure this is hps plan, its just taking a while to get all the legal stuff and logistics sorted.

As the other guys have said, I dont think the carriers come into it.

rhp525i likes this.
    Tomorrow will clear everything. I just hope people dont hammer the site, so atleast i can read the announcement.

There's just too much speculation that adds to the confusion. Plus the wait seems to be killing those who have waited 2-4 days.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast