1.    #1  
    Sale of the Samsung Galaxy line of phones banned in Europe:

Dutch court bans sale of Samsung Galaxy phones in EU - TNW Mobile

With some of the most desirable phones (hardware wise) out of the way, surely this would have given the Pre3 a much better chance of success.

Complete shambles by HP.
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    You are kidding right? That decision is for The Netherlands only, not Europe. Google translate is not a good way to read a judge's decision
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by d3ac0n View Post
    You are kidding right? That decision is for The Netherlands only, not Europe. Google translate is not a good way to read a judge's decision
    I read three separate reports - I think the Engadget one is Google translated, but the other ones have had real live Dutch input plus legal interpretation. The original link above is one of the reports. The ban is valid in 32 European countries where a certain patent is in force.

Samsung may win an appeal, but the fact is that there is a risk hanging around ordering more Galaxy phones and so suppliers may be more open to alternative routes.
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    The revised Engadget article says that the decision was in Apple's favor for the gallery app that is included in the phones, but in Samsung's favor for the design infringements.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d3ac0n View Post
    For tax reasons, basically all consumer electronics including cell phones are imported to Netherlands first and then re-export them to the rest of Europe.
    I might agree with you if the all of the Pre line of phones don't infringe on this patent as well!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Another good reason for Samsung to buy webOS
    I think the palm patent for the smartphone is a slightly bigger stick than apple has