Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Now that the firesale has put touchpad on everyone's hand. What about Pre 3? How about HP to do a 180 degrees and sell Pre 3 and another slab phone at affordable prices in United States rather than dumping ?

Another slab phone is against their decision to stop hardware. But they can certainly do it with Pre3.

Pre3 went through FCC. It is ready for CDMA and GSM network. The orders are ready for manufacturing. Everything is in place. Heck , even the journalists and some HP executives are using it for some time.

So why not ? Sell them for $299.00 for unlocked sim models. They can certainly make an arrangement with Verizon / Sprint to agree to activate it but not support. I bet there are some hungry Verizon/Sprint customers for it.

Common HP, sell Pre3, make some money off of it ?

Surely the new Touchpad owners and the existing loyal customers need a Pre 3 ? Right ?
    Bockscar and xandros8.9 like this.
    +1

Sell them. Don't scrap them. I'll sign paperwork to indicate the phone is AS-IS, I won't bug you for support. So you don't have to worry.
    LCGuy, gbp and Vij like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Now that the firesale has put touchpad on everyone's hand. What about Pre 3? How about HP to do a 180 degrees and sell Pre 3 and another slab phone at affordable prices in United States rather than dumping ?

Another slab phone is against their decision to stop hardware. But they can certainly do it with Pre3.

Pre3 went through FCC. It is ready for CDMA and GSM network. The orders are ready for manufacturing. Everything is in place. Heck , even the journalists and some HP executives are using it for some time.

So why not ? Sell them for $299.00 for unlocked sim models. They can certainly make an arrangement with Verizon / Sprint to agree to activate it but not support. I bet there are some hungry Verizon/Sprint customers for it.

Common HP, sell Pre3, make some money off of it ?

Surely the new Touchpad owners and the existing loyal customers need a Pre 3 ? Right ?
    Sprint doesn't do this nor will they agree to it. Also, SIM model phones are for GSM networks and not CDMA networks. I believe HP has gone on record and said that they will not be selling any Pre3 devices in the United States. But then again, they also said that WebOS was part of their future. Lol.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    +1. I want one on either Sprint or Verizon.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Why bother? It's clear that what stock they have, they can sell out in Europe with no problem.

They can certainly make an arrangement with Verizon / Sprint to agree to activate it but not support
    I saw a thread somewhere else where someone said that Sprint was refusing to active any new Pres on their network - I'll try and find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Why bother? It's clear that what stock they have, they can sell out in Europe with no problem.

I saw a thread somewhere else where someone said that Sprint was refusing to active any new Pres on their network - I'll try and find it.
    So I should hope I accidentally stumble upon one unit that was originally destined for US to get the fabled UMTS 850?
    akshunj likes this.
    shoot. if they sold it for $75 off contract, it'd put the tp firesale to shame.

The phones designed for ATT will not be fully 3G capable in Europe and for many that will be an issue. HP should sell them as ATT capable but obviously not supported by ATT.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    +1

Sell them. Don't scrap them. I'll sign paperwork to indicate the phone is AS-IS, I won't bug you for support. So you don't have to worry.
    +1
    I will sign on any form they give me.

I will buy two even if the price is in $ 250 - $ 300 dollar range.

I don't want a Pre 3 , I need a Pre 3 because my Pre - is about to die.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    The phones designed for ATT will not be fully 3G capable in Europe and for many that will be an issue. HP should sell them as ATT capable but obviously not supported by ATT.
    What I meant was, HP should order them from china for ATT, Verizon models. At this point everything is ready with respect to the product. The software is there, the phone cleared FCC (or in the process), many in the US used it.

Why not ? even if it is limited 50K or 100K release, I say do it.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Show them ( the Touchpad newbies ) touch to share videos , one in 5 will surely buy Pre 3.
    If HP did this it would signal to me that they really are serious about continuing on the software side with webOS. Having devices (even if they are discontinued) gives a larger user base which would make a license deal more attractive and would give them incentive to continue with the development of the software.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    If they have issues with selling in US (any issues) , they should sell them through their European site and ship em here ( the US version though, not the European one).
    I would not hesitate to purchase a US Version of the Pre3. I wanted to get one of the firesale Pre3's across the pond, but I didn't get the memo in time...
    Proud owner of a TouchPad, a Pre3 and a Veer!
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Its just natural extension for the Touchpad.

The touchstones will follow. They should decide stop selling them through retail so that they can maximize profit on accessories.
    I'd also wonder how far along they were with production for the U.S. models. If they didn't have as many produced as the European models it might actually be cheaper to just 'burn them' than to ship them here, input them to the store and process orders.
    Last edited by pavvento; 08/24/2011 at 09:59 AM.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    HP please sell them.

Its a different world after the firesale of Touchpad.
    xandros8.9 likes this.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Sure they can in Europe. But here in US there is demand , or demand will be created. So they should make more on the existing contracts. Remember they are no making new products , but they can continue operations for these discontinued products.

That might be true. However they need to work with Sprint to let them activate. I know its a big "But", but they can try.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Again: why should they? For profit? Theres no profit in it. They can sell all the GSM phones in Europe, world phones weren't produced. Demand in europe is as high as in the new world.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihatsu View Post
    Again: why should they? For profit? Theres no profit in it. They can sell all the GSM phones in Europe, world phones weren't produced. Demand in europe is as high as in the new world.
    Yes for profit,

I am just throwing up numbers. Okay.

Say the BOM on the Pre3 for US version is $ 200.00 ( which is the upper limit), they can sell them for $ 299.00 directly from their own site ( cutting all the middleman). The difference is $ 99.00 , of which I take half of it for shipments and warehouse. Since there is no advertisement cost involved they can make still $ 50.00 profit. This is the worst case scenario. I have a feeling that they can easily sell ~ 200K of these.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast