Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Any Canadians going to try and snag a Pre 3 from the UK sale tonight/tomorrow?

If so, what network do you plan on hooking it up with?

Looking at Rogers, and the fact they were going to carry the Pre 3 (no idea what's up with that anymore, might be cancelled like in the US), I'd say it's a safe bet the phone will work on their network.

UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Pre 3 operates on:

Quad band GSM networks: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    Tri band 3G UMTS networks: 850/900/1900/2100MHz

Should be fine, no?

Anyway, we need to band together. Not even Canadian love on these forums.
    klx300r likes this.
    I have contacts in UK who might be getting two for me (one for me, another friend is also interested). He's coming next week, so HP, hurry the hell up.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I've been waiting for the Pre3 since February's announcement so I'll try to get my hands on one and use it with my Fido account
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I'm about to order one from Handtec and use it on Rogers! Do you think I should place the order now or wait until the price drop is confirmed? I'm a bit worried if I could still get one by then.
    Just a correction to to first post: the 3G is Tri band 3G UMTS networks on 900/1900/2100MHz

It's missing the 3G 850MHz band. For Rogers 3G, they use both 850MHz and 1900MHz. So you'll have 1 out of 2 3G bands. For regular GSM, however, the Pre3 is quadband, which should fully support the Pre3 and 2G.

I'm gonna be tryin it. I've got a Pre2 on Rogers right now, and while I'm worried about 3G signal strength I'll have with the Pre3, I'll be using data 90% of the time over wifi anyway (which the pre3 has wifi n ).

And also note: both Clove.co.uk and Handtec.co.uk have said that if HP lowers the price and is refunding the difference to people who bought from the HP EuroStore, then they'd do the same. And it looks like that's what people is reporting they're being told from the HP EuroStore
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    I would really love to order one, but the fact that it will only run on one of bell's frequencies kinda scares me. Anyone else worried about that?
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I'm gonna be tryin it. I've got a Pre2 on Rogers right now, and while I'm worried about 3G signal strength I'll have with the Pre3, I'll be using data 90% of the time over wifi anyway (which the pre3 has wifi n ).
    If anyone at HP had even the tiniest lick of sense, they'd have sent you and the internals guys free Pre3's as soon as they had their first big batch made.
    note what clove.co.uk has posted on their website:

We have today been in-undated with calls, emails and orders for the HP Pre 3 on the assumption that the price will be coming down based on RUMOURS on the web.

These have spiralled, and it is thought that there will be a price drop, but the new price and accurate stock availability HAS NOT BEEN confirmed.

We have subsequently disabled the buy facility on our website and will re-instate this only when the situation has been confirmed by HP.

We are currently awaiting official written confirmation from HP that the price is dropping and what the new price will be.

Any orders placed will be held and not shipped until there is clarity on the situation. Anyone who has placed an order will be contacted when we have this information and any price changes communicated and applied.

Those who have orders already will get priority on any stock that does come through and when the buy facility is re-enabled it will be a purely first come first serve basis.

Anyone who has yet to place an order need to wait until such time as confirmation on the situation has been made by HP.

PLEASE DO NOT call or email as the message given will be the same as this. We can not change or control the situation at this time.

This situation affects all UK retailers and they are in the same position!

WE WILL UPDATE OUR WEBSITE, BLOG, TWITTER AND MESSAGE AS SOON AS WE HAVE CONFIRMED INFORMATION.
    Attn: Canadians

Here is a link with every cell tower location. Zoom in, click on a tower (of your carrier) it will tell you what frequency is available.

Canadian Cellular Towers Map
    I have ordered from Clove. Hoping to get one to go with my Touchpad. Actually, turns out I have an extra 32GB Touchpad (wife didn't want it) if someone winds up with an extra Pre3....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Just a correction to to first post: the 3G is Tri band 3G UMTS networks on 900/1900/2100MHz

It's missing the 3G 850MHz band. For Rogers 3G, they use both 850MHz and 1900MHz. So you'll have 1 out of 2 3G bands. For regular GSM, however, the Pre3 is quadband, which should fully support the Pre3 and 2G.

And also note: both Clove.co.uk and Handtec.co.uk have said that if HP lowers the price and is refunding the difference to people who bought from the HP EuroStore, then they'd do the same. And it looks like that's what people is reporting they're being told from the HP EuroStore
    Rogers is the same as AT&T, no 850 MHz on the device But 3G works pretty darn good on just 1900 as long as you are in a metro area. Rural areas are a different story.

See the EU Pre 3 on AT&T thread . We've just got some information on the modem in the Pre 3 that indicates possibly the NA and the EU versions may be using the same hardware. As the Android community already pioneered a hack for the modem chipset on the Galaxy S 9000 (same chipset) only thing necessary to turn on 850 MHz UMTS is to enable it in the firmware. Some of the information is speculative right now. If the webOS doctor gets released any time soon, the modem flasher might be able to be used to enable 850 .

If you read through that thread you'll see the EU Pre 3 seems to perform reasonably well on AT&T with just the 1900 MHz 3G band. 850 MHz wouild allow more bandwidht and alos allow the Pre 3 to connect using HSPA+ .

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
    If you can have one more Pre3, i'm interested, and I want to activate it on BELL Network

Thank's
    ----------------------------------
    Alain (abellemare44)
    HP Pre3 2.2.4 (ATT 4G 16 Gigs) with BELL in Canada

HP TouchPad 16 Gigs Wifi
    With UberKernel 3.0.4 1,8 Ghz
    Cyanogenmod 7 Alpha 3,5 Android 2.3.7

PS: sorry for the bad english, it's not my native language
    Quote Originally Posted by abellemare44 View Post
    If you can have one more Pre3, i'm interested, and I want to activate it on BELL Network

Thank's
    The UK version of the pre3 is meant for GSM (Rogers, AT&T) not CDMA (Bell, Verizon).

In simple terms, it uses a SIM card. So if your phone currently does not use a SIM card, you can not use the UK pre3. That's what toptonguebarry was trying to say.

So either you need to change carriers, or pray HP has a magical warehouse full of CDMA phones that they will release to retailers. Well, I guess there is only one real option.
    Quote Originally Posted by tony20 View Post
    The UK version of the pre3 is meant for GSM (Rogers, AT&T) not CDMA (Bell, Verizon).

In simple terms, it uses a SIM card. So if your phone currently does not use a SIM card, you can not use the UK pre3. That's what toptonguebarry was trying to say.

So either you need to change carriers, or pray HP has a magical warehouse full of CDMA phones that they will release to retailers. Well, I guess there is only one real option.

Not really... Bell and Telus rolled out a HSPA network last year, so yes it would be possible to get a bell sim card into a EU pre3 and it work, but it will ONLY be using the 1900mhz frequency. That is what worries me as Bell has no fall back network

I have a Veer running on Bell right now.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Did HP ever actually drop the price over in Europe?
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeelapish View Post
    Did HP ever actually drop the price over in Europe?
    HP did, shops did not always. The Pre3 is rare, so the prices stay high.

I got mine for 200€ instead of the 79€ HP was selling them, and I'm still very happy with it.
    Did anyone get a Pre 3 running on Bell Mobility?

I have one on its way, and am curious how it is working for others.

Bell moved from CDMA to UMTS quite awhile ago fyi.....it was done before the Vancouver Olympics. They do still use CDMA technology phones, but are in the process of winding it down. Actually I believe it's HSPA+, but same dif.
    I got my Pre3 yesterday, ran (yes ran) to the Bell store, they guy popped in a simm card (charged me 5 bucks) and boom I was/am running on 3G. ALL Good so far (loss of Google maps to Bing a disappointment). I have not travelled out of the city so far so I don't know how that will work. I heard 3G increases battery consumption so I tried turning off 3g (in phone options menu) and using 2G. phone went into SOS Only mode ????
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast