Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    I need to purchase a pre3 and i am in the USA on Verizon. Will it work? and where can i get one? Im freaking out now that i heard about the NO USA PRE3.. .. sigh.. Im willing to pay for it. and honestly, i dont CARE about the price, as long as it works on Verizon.

Sim free.

Oh and i looked around at all the articles about where to get one.. but.. i dont see anything that ships to the USA.. sigh.. this is depressing.

Brian.
    God. why can people figure out the difference between gsm and cdma.... Won't work on sprint or Verizon. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyph911x View Post
    why do you have to be an *** about it. READ MY POST COUNT, READ WHEN I JOINED. im new here, no need to be a jerk about it. i had NO IDEA and dont know what the hell GSM or CDMA even means... so before you make a smart *** comment, view your audience

thanks for making me feel welcome by the way.
    Brush it off. Sometimes that does happen as it is an open forum. To answer your question, no, an unlocked Pre3 will not work on Sprint or Verizon.

CDMA networks in the US are Sprint and Verizon.

GSM networks in the US are AT&T and T-Mobile (the unlocked Pre3 which is a GSM device can theoretically work on these two networks).

Welcome to Precentral. It is a great community (but you will find a sour apple here and there).
    If you do search next time, answers are sometimes found but not always. It's a great tool to use sometimes.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    LordSecksie and VCI_Cell like this.
    Welcome cyph911x.

Sorry about the rude post above.

I too am on Verizon (Pre+) and hope they do release the Pre3 CDMA/world phone. I want one too. I have bought a Pre2 just in case. You might want to consider this if you are running something else.

Some rumors say the Pre3 is on track for Sept 18, other say it will be canceled. I guess we will have to wait and see. I would be a shame to see all those Pre3's sent to a landfill. I think in the end its Verizons call. HP can sell them but if Verizon will not activate them on their network we are no better off.

Maybe someone from Verizon will read this thread..............

Cheers
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I need to purchase a pre3 and i am in the USA on Verizon. Will it work? and where can i get one? Im freaking out now that i heard about the NO USA PRE3.. .. sigh.. Im willing to pay for it. and honestly, i dont CARE about the price, as long as it works on Verizon.

Sim free.

Oh and i looked around at all the articles about where to get one.. but.. i dont see anything that ships to the USA.. sigh.. this is depressing.

Brian.
    Keep hope alive! The latest says we will not see it in the US, but let's wait and see....
    kayphoonstar likes this.
    why do you have to be an *** about it. READ MY POST COUNT, READ WHEN I JOINED. im new here, no need to be a jerk about it. i had NO IDEA and dont know what the hell GSM or CDMA even means... so before you make a smart *** comment, view your audience

thanks for making me feel welcome by the way.
    Don't sweat it! Welcome to the forums! Sorry you had such a rude welcome, but I assure that's not a typical response for this group at all. Far from it, actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Don't sweat it! Welcome to the forums! Sorry you had such a rude welcome, but I assure that's not a typical response for this group at all. Far from it, actually.
    shut up, foo!
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ok, my understanding was that teh pre3 was suppose to be a "world phone" with both GSM and CDMA capability. (from what i read in the posts a few months ago about the FCC approval). did i misunderstand? or were they planning both a GSM only and a "world phone" and only released the former?
    also, i mean i know this is wikipedia and all, but this mentions "EvDo" and "CDMA".
    is this just one of those wikipedia things?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre_3
    Quote Originally Posted by CAV AV8R View Post
    ok, my understanding was that teh pre3 was suppose to be a "world phone" with both GSM and CDMA capability. (from what i read in the posts a few months ago about the FCC approval). did i misunderstand? or were they planning both a GSM only and a "world phone" and only released the former?
    also, i mean i know this is wikipedia and all, but this mentions "EvDo" and "CDMA".
    is this just one of those wikipedia things?
    HP Pre 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    That is correct. There were going to be models that supported GSM networks and CDMA networks. The version that was released before HP put the shutdown in place is an unlocked GSM version which will theoretically work on GSM networks (AT&T and TMOBILE). The Verizon CDMA version was never released nor shall it be per HP statements.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts

Sim free.

Brian.
    I hope that some cdma Pre 3's were made and make it to the wild! I was so much looking forward to getting one as well. The news is like someone telling me Santa is fake!

Welcome to the forum, a lot of great people here.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    do'h!!!
    Global Posts
    1,937 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard83 View Post
    Welcome cyph911x.

Sorry about the rude post above.

I too am on Verizon (Pre+) and hope they do release the Pre3 CDMA/world phone. I want one too. I have bought a Pre2 just in case. You might want to consider this if you are running something else.

Some rumors say the Pre3 is on track for Sept 18, other say it will be canceled. I guess we will have to wait and see. I would be a shame to see all those Pre3's sent to a landfill. I think in the end its Verizons call. HP can sell them but if Verizon will not activate them on their network we are no better off.

Maybe someone from Verizon will read this thread..............

Cheers
    I called VZW yesterday. "If" there are Pre3's made with CDMA for VZW, they will activate them.
    I'm hoping to get one for ATT. Fingers crossed.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I gave this some thought and it not out of the realm of possibilities.

When Apple was going to release the iPhone to Verizon, they had cdma/gsm adds up in the stores. I believe the Verizon iPhone's chip set can run both.

Now my Verizon "hotspot" is cdma/gsm and is a "global hotspot". It has a sim card and will work in over 200 countries.

Further more. I guy I work with owns property in Casta Rica and his phone doesn't work there. He went to Verizon and was told he can get a global phone. He didn't cause he's cheap. So Verizon does have gsm capabilities.

Only question is, would it work for a Pre 3 and would/could they activate it on their network. If so, being Verizon I'm sure they would charge you and arm and a leg to do so!
    Verizon does not have gsm capability man. They are wholly cdma. What a global cdma phone does is allow you to roam on other gsm carriers while outside of the usa. They are typically locked down so that you absolutely cannot use them on art or tomb in the us.

in addition, the Verizon iphone is not a world phone. The chipset inside can technically do both gsm and cdma, but the phone does not have a gsm antenna, so it wouldn't work on s gsm network.

look up the FCC files for the two pre3 models that went through. One is a gsm world phone, i.e. Gsm only. The other is a Cdma world phone, which has BOTH capabilities. It is more expensive to make a world cdma phone since it needs double the antennas, different chipsets, etc. As of now, the phone released is a gsm world phone, i.e. No cdma antenna. IF somewhere there is a cache of Verizon branded pre3s and we can get our hands on them, they perhaps Verizon would let us activate them... But that's far from sure... I've never heard of Verizon activating a device that they themselves did not sell officially...
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    First off I didn't say it would happen. I'm saying anything is possible. And they do have global devices, with pre-installed SIM cards. Customers have to pay to activate the sim and GSM/UMTS network, with a "global service plan".

So my point is that its not impossible to do (at a price).

Verizon doing it is a total other store!

Set Your Location

Set Your Location

Only issue that's see, is it more apples to data then voice.
    No Pre 3 sold in Europe will have CDMA radios and therefore no Pre 3 sold in Europe will work on Verizon or Sprint. To the best of my knowledge, the only Pre 3s that are either sold/for sale are European models.
    Moreover, unless Verizon has changed their policy, they will not activate handsets unless they are Verizon branded handsets with ESN's already in their ESN database...(exception being Page Plus prepaid MVNO which will take any ESN as long as it's not blacklisted or a banned brand)
    Page Plus Cellular - Talk Smart
    Palm M100 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755P > Palm Pro > Palm Pre-
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johncase3 View Post
    Moreover, unless Verizon has changed their policy, they will not activate handsets unless they are Verizon branded handsets with ESN's already in their ESN database...(exception being Page Plus prepaid MVNO which will take any ESN as long as it's not blacklisted or a banned brand)
    I don't disagree! But, when there's a will there's a way!
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    I can assure you that there are Verizon devices that speak GSM. Having said that, VZ is a CDMA/LTE/5 million G network, and I wouldn't get my hopes up for Pre3. Strange things are happening, but I am giving up. Tired of a phone with no working ear speaker, pessed at HP, and seriously looking at some Blackberries.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast