Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    So if I buy a UK Pre 3 would the native mobile hotspot app work on AT&T since it's unlocked?
    The hotspot will work on any connection that the phone can receive except wifi (since it's using that for the hotspot) The app is HP's & not carrier specific.
    But look at the other threads about your connectivity on at&t.
    My Mobile Hotspot does not work, even if I can receive internet over my GSM / 3G provider. Tested with several client devices , with and without WiFi encryption enabled.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JobslessElop View Post
    My Mobile Hotspot does not work, even if I can receive internet over my GSM / 3G provider. Tested with several client devices , with and without WiFi encryption enabled.
    yeah man, I hear you. I had that exact same problem. The mobile hotspot app is dodgy, works for some people, not for others. Anyway, I switched over to the Preware / freetether app. I had to install it, uninstall it, then reinstall it again to finally get that working reliably. And once it is working reliably it is all goodness. Give that a go and let me know how you get on
    I have a strange problem with the hotspot: I can do nslookup and get the right ip address of the site I want to visit, but I can't ping nor browse...

Any idea what could be going on?
    All solutions regarding hotspot problems I found, was setting up the ip address and dns server manually, but that's not necessary here as all the settings I get through DHCP seem to be fine (as a dsn lookup works).
    fkpaul: indeed freetether just works where mobile hotspot doesn't.
    Curious about battery consumption.
    Mobile Hotspot does not work for me either. Even though my TouchPad shows that it is connected to my Pre3, it is unable to get any data. On the other hand 'Freetether' works just fine. Just another one in a long list of things that Homebrew makes up for where HP fails.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Mobile Hotspot works just great for me between my pre3 and my Touchpad.

I yet have to try it with my computer.
  9. xpl
    It works flawlessly on my pre 3. Im using it to connect my brothers ipad and its been working since day1. No problems so far
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JobslessElop View Post
    fkpaul: indeed freetether just works where mobile hotspot doesn't.
    Curious about battery consumption.
    well at least you've got some kind of hotspot service going at least. Battery? Its pretty bad, juice disappears fast if I recall. I think about 2hrs worth...

I'm wondering if our problem a firmware related thing...
    Freetether works perfectly fine here as well, thank goodness ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by fkpaul View Post
    yeah man, I hear you. I had that exact same problem. The mobile hotspot app is dodgy, works for some people, not for others. Anyway, I switched over to the Preware / freetether app. I had to install it, uninstall it, then reinstall it again to finally get that working reliably. And once it is working reliably it is all goodness. Give that a go and let me know how you get on
    Same here. Hotspot didn't work for me on AT&T. Freetether working great after pulling out some hair though...
    Both solutions should work. Battery draining is acceptable. Even a dedicat mifi has 3-4 hours of use
    I can confirm that it works on greek networks ( Vodafone, cosmote)
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Mobile Hotspot does not work for me on AT&T in the US. I get a message that I have to buy a tethering plan. Haven't tried freetether yet.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Mobile Hotspot doesn't work on my UK pre3 in Taiwan. PC can connect to Pre 3 but network just doesn't work. freetether work for me but I'm a bit concern about the "can't fully close" freetether problem. Will keep an eye on that
    My AT&T one worked with Bell just fine. Strangely the one on my Veer didn't.
    WARNING: For those using FreeTether, there is a definite bug in FreeTether and it does not seem to close/exit properly. This results in massive battery drainage, eve nif the phone is on the Touchstone. The only solution, if any I can think of, is to reboot the phone after closing FreeTether.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Mobile Hotspot doesn't work for me either... EU GSM Pre3, 2.2.0. Same story - have tried open/protected settings, manual/automatic DHCP settings, no luck. Connected devices getting IP addresses alright, are visible on Pre as well, but they do not have access to the internet. I was previously using the same SIM card in the Android phone, and Android's WiFi access point was working OK, so it is NOT my carrier issue (Three, Ireland)

Heck, it is Pre(-)/ TouchPad launch all over again, so many imperfections, hardware quality assurance is not there, software still lacking QA as well...

There is just something missing in webOS team, I am affraid. And I am affraid that missing thing is a leadership with a vision and balls to execute.

sigh... what can you do. Enjoy what I have - still the best webOS phone evah, but I suppose webOS experience wouldn't be webOS experience, if didn't require user to put up with some serious quirks/annoyances...

Nice phone, in general, just painfully lacking attention to details/QC in some areas, and webOS' AppCatalog is such a lonely place...

But simply LOVE the screen & keyboard
    Last edited by mich.bushi; 10/04/2011 at 11:03 AM.
    MHS works fine on my Pre3 unlocked EU version ! (did not try freeTether).
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast