Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    hmmm, definitely not as simple as I hoped it would be for everybody. I got it to work first with an OTA to at&t 2.2.3 and after a doctor and it worked just fine with those settings I used. Dont give up hope you guys, it DOES work...even if it is just for me, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    When I first installed freeTether it didn't work on my AT&T Pre3. I read the forums and just uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled 3x more times. Then it finally started working. No copying of any settings from MHS. Funky.
    That is EXACTLY what happened to me... didnt work first, then just worked after an uninstall or two. Wierd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    <SNIP> Is there anywhere I can turn to for directions on how to write such a script and how to get it to run automatically after a reboot? Thanks.
    I wholeheartedly second that! It works, but how do we get it to STICK persistently. Trying Bluetooth PAN tethering next... it would be nicer on battery life if I could tether over BT PAN to avoid having the more power-hungry WiFi radio on, and you stil get ~80%+ of the wifi data speed on 3G/HSPA.
    Okay, so I had a fiddle around and got an upstart script to work.

Code:
    description "Mobile Hotspot Fix for Pre3"
    version 1.0

# don't start until webOS has finished its normal boot
    # that way no delay is added to the GUI startup
    start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

console none

respawn

script
    	/usr/sbin/iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s 192.168.0.1/16
    	/usr/sbin/iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
    	/sbin/sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
    end script
    Mine is named as /etc/event.d/mobilehotspot-fix

Verified working, fixes Pre3 Mobile Hotspot tethering on startup.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyling View Post

Code:
    version 1.0

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

console none

respawn

script
    end script

The above may be a solution for someone with skills that far exceed mine. For me to attempt that is like me trying to read the entire Bible in Hebrew.
    That IMO is/was the downfall of how webOS has evolved. Not for the masses like the " Big Two". But that's a different subject. Please excuse my digressing.
    FreeTether works fine for me as long as I do not wear out the power button re booting my Pre3 after every use of FreeTether. Is it difficult to fix that glitch in FreeTether? Not complaining just asking. I am grateful to have FreeTether available for my use.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    The above may be a solution for someone with skills that far exceed mine. For me to attempt that is like me trying to read the entire Bible in Hebrew.
    That IMO is/was the downfall of how webOS has evolved. Not for the masses like the " Big Two". But that's a different subject. Please excuse my digressing.
    FreeTether works fine for me as long as I do not wear out the power button re booting my Pre3 after every use of FreeTether. Is it difficult to fix that glitch in FreeTether? Not complaining just asking. I am grateful to have FreeTether available for my use.
    But that's exactly the thing — freeTether works perfectly for you, and my solution works perfectly for me. With webOS there's always an alternative — I never got freeTether to work for myself, which is why I started investigating a solution to why MHS wasn't working.

A little tinkering later, and here we are.

That you have the choice to either fix it yourself or use a homebrew solution is a strength of webOS, in my opinion.

FYI, freeTether was updated to fix the huge battery usage bug. No need to reboot the phone every time you use it now, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    But that's exactly the thing — freeTether works perfectly for you, and my solution works perfectly for me. With webOS there's always an alternative — I never got freeTether to work for myself, which is why I started investigating a solution to why MHS wasn't working.

A little tinkering later, and here we are.

That you have the choice to either fix it yourself or use a homebrew solution is a strength of webOS, in my opinion.

FYI, freeTether was updated to fix the huge battery usage bug. No need to reboot the phone every time you use it now, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Believe me, I agree with your views above in regards to the strengths of WebOS. However the audience of WebOS that has the ability to utilize what you describe seems to be quite small in the realm of potential smart phone consumers. For every smart phone expert/developer there are thousands of non techie types that just want to buy a phone and have it do everything they want right out of the box without any fuss. IMO That is where webOS has fallen on it's knees when compared to the other guys. I joined this Forum a little over a year ago having never owned a smart phone. My Pre3 is my first smart phone. Virtually everything I know or have learned about smart phones has come from this forum. Very often I feel like I am in way over my head when I try to understand what is presented on the forum. I just try to keep moving forward at my own pace.
    I know, I could go buy an Android device or an iPhone. However, for what ever reason I decided that I wanted a Pre3 and waited through all the delays etc. for about a year to finally have one. Point I make is that I believe that there are far more potential smart phone consumers that are like me as opposed to a "developer" minded type. Unlike me most of them will go with a different OS and hardware.
    On the Freetether. Are you suggesting that I should just never turn it off and that the power drain from continuous on is minimal? I only use it about once or twice a week for short periods when parked in remote areas in an RV. After using I turn it off and that is what seems to create the need to restart the phone in order to use it again.
    Also, can anyone walk me through how to make my FreeTether a secure network and not an open network?
    I do become my own worst enemy because I am always afraid that I will permanently mess something up if I attempt some of the procedures I see posted here. Hell, I thought I scored a major victory by getting into developer mode and down loading WebOS Quick Install and installing PreWare. Believe me, I took the phone out of DM real fast when I was done before I could screw something up.
    Thanks to everyone for your help.
    Last edited by Different Drummer; 11/17/2011 at 09:36 AM.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I just finally found out how to add security to freeTether (tap the word "Wifi" in the list of Wifi-Bluetooth-USB and add encryption BEFORE you turn on the switch). But, of course, my TP only recognizes WPA and not WP2.

I guess I can live with no encryption, however, I can only use freeTether when I uninstall and freshly reinstall from Preware. Suggestions?

As for the fix to MHS, is that for people who's did not work at all or does the described fix allow you to enable the Hotspot without having to pay the ridiculous extra free to AT&T for Tethering?

Code:
    version 1.0

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

console none

respawn

script
    end script

This is GREAT! one question - how do you execute and upload the script--just make a file named

mobilehotspot-fix

with the code/content you note in the gray boxand copy it to the touchpad in USB "HDD over USB" mode?
    Is that it? I'd love to verify how for 100% sure. Once this gets resolved, its load CM7 android time with the moboot multi/dual booter and the Cyboot boot-configurer...
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    As for the fix to MHS, is that for people who's did not work at all or does the described fix allow you to enable the Hotspot without having to pay the ridiculous extra free to AT&T for Tethering?
    The fix I posted for the MHS is for people, like me, who can activate and connect to MHS on the Pre3 just fine, but not receive an internet connection on the other device (connection time outs, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by jmirabil View Post
    This is GREAT! one question - how do you execute and upload the script--just make a file named

mobilehotspot-fix

with the code/content you note in the gray boxand copy it to the touchpad in USB "HDD over USB" mode?
    Is that it? I'd love to verify how for 100% sure. Once this gets resolved, its load CM7 android time with the moboot multi/dual booter and the Cyboot boot-configurer...
    The fix is only for the Pre3. Not sure why you would be wanting to do this on the TouchPad, seeing as it doesn't have a Mobile Hotspot app...

If you actually meant the Pre3, then you either have to gain access to the Pre3 command line and use a text editor like vi or nano, and input the text there. There are guides on how to do this. (I'd write out my own instructions, but it's a relatively complex procedure.)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Sad thing is that there is surely a bug (or setting that incorrectly block access) but totally impossible to get this through to Palm as you get screened by first level technical support who say the wont escalate but will happily offer replacement unit ie solwing the software issue by exchanging the hardware.

PAAAAAALM!!!!
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I just finally found out how to add security to freeTether (tap the word "Wifi" in the list of Wifi-Bluetooth-USB and add encryption BEFORE you turn on the switch). But, of course, my TP only recognizes WPA and not WP2.
    I hope by TP you mean something other than the HP Touchpad. It certainly does work with the WPA2 encryption of freeTether.
    I want to know the answer to the above question as well. Will the MHS fix allow undetected tethering?

Second question- if the only way to get no-cost tethering is to go with freetether, then what are it's drawbacks? Does it have a memory leak issue still? Can it be used to provide wifi to a Touchpad? Does it freeze the phone when used requiring a reboot after every use?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvilhotti View Post
    I want to know the answer to the above question as well. Will the MHS fix allow undetected tethering?

Second question- if the only way to get no-cost tethering is to go with freetether, then what are it's drawbacks? Does it have a memory leak issue still? Can it be used to provide wifi to a Touchpad? Does it freeze the phone when used requiring a reboot after every use?

Thanks.
    Freetether works fine with touchpad and is undetected by AT&T and now closes properly (save for the two green lights looking like they stay on after switching off. Throw the card off the screen and if you relaunch it show the lights off.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    The fix I posted for the MHS is for people, like me, who can activate and connect to MHS on the Pre3 just fine, but not receive an internet connection on the other device (connection time outs, etc).

If you actually meant the Pre3, then you either have to gain access to the Pre3 command line and use a text editor like vi or nano, and input the text there. There are guides on how to do this. (I'd write out my own instructions, but it's a relatively complex procedure.)
    Would you mind posting a short descption on how to get this working?

Im not asking for a full guide just to make it a bit clearer for us not that good with linux but who still knows how to connect to the command line and stuff.

So, basicly its just:

The name of the file.
    Where to upload it (etc/ link i guess?)
    How is it accessed on startup, dont we have to edit some other file to call for this script so that its run?

If you get this info for me I can make a guide covering the basics so pretty much anyone could implement the changes.

Happy Holidays
    There is a fix from a Chinese forum here:
    Mobile Hotspot - Hong Kong PDA User Group

Here are the steps:

1 Download the hotspot-fix.zip from the site and unzip it (just 1 file without extension, you can change to any name your prefer if you like, but ok to remain)

2. Save to your Veer/Pre3 USB disk. Then disconnect the phone from computer and use Internalz or similar apps to copy to /etc/event.d/ folder (for Internalz you may need to turn on Master mode, otherwise you can't see that folder when you try to copy files).

3. Restart your device. You don't need to edit other files to ensure system startup can read the file, it automatically read all files in that folder.

This works for me and quite a lot others. Hope it also works for you.
    Last edited by tonyw; 12/28/2011 at 08:03 PM.
    Palm Pilot Pro, Palm III, IBM Workpad C3, Visor Prism, Clie T650, LifeDrive, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro, Desire Z, UK Pre 2, AT&T Pre 3 & TouchPad 32G.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyw View Post
    There is a fix from a Chinese forum here:
    Mobile Hotspot - Hong Kong PDA User Group

Here are the steps:

1 Download the hotspot-fix.zip from the site and unzip it (just 1 file without extension, you can change to any name your prefer if you like, but ok to remain)

2. Save to your Veer/Pre3 USB disk. Then disconnect the phone from computer and use Internalz or similar apps to copy to /etc/event.d/ folder (for Internalz you may need to turn on Master mode, otherwise you can't see that folder when you try to copy files).

3. Restart your device. You don't need to edit other files to ensure system startup can read the file, it automatically read all files in that folder.

This works for me and quite a lot others. Hope it also works for you.
    No luck. This does not work for me.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Got it to work now, been trying all evening.

Worked once a couple of hours ago and then wouldnt work no more.

As a last resort I followed the instructions completely ie copying the file to the USB area and moving it using Internalz Pro. Change the MHS IP using Advanced Settings and used the pre configured 192.168.0.0/16 setting.

Worked right at reboot but I havent dared reseting it again but touch wood it will work.

Not sure if I did something wrong at previous installation where I instead of copying hotspot-fix installed it directly to etc/event.d/ using WEBOSQI?

Happy New Year and hope MHS will work when I wake up in 2012. =)
    Last edited by Andreas; 12/31/2011 at 04:17 PM.
    Anyone experiencing problems with Movile Hotspot since 2.2.4?

I can't connect anymore. My Touchpad FINDS the hotspot but can't connect to it. I tried different names and passphrases to be sure, that there is no issue with that.
    No change.

It worked before the update...

Strange.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Hotspot-fix fixed the problem of not being able use MHS, before that I used Freetether but I had to restart the phone if I wanted to use it again.
    For those who wants to use the fix, do it by uploading the file vía webos quick install, just put the destination folder and select the file and restart it.
    I'm running on an ATT Pre3. Next step will be try to deploy the WR version of the MHS to see if it has the same restriction as the one that comes in the ATT.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast