Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Could it be a setting in the hashed/cryptated area of the carrierdb.json that blocks the internet? I know my carrier supports tethering. It works on the Pre but not the Pre3 and the carrier database had loads of errors for my carrier so maybe its blocked when it shouldnt be.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Same here for me... Mobile Hotspot is not working. Have to use freetether as well... Needed a couple of reinstall to make work correctly.

So, at least, there's a solution, but. I do agree with the above comment of the "what if HP & tea wouldn't have messed up all the small details"...
    I am not finding FreeTether in the App Catalog? Help....Please
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    You get FreeTether via Preware. It's homebrew.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Would be nice if we could figure out what causes MHS to work for some and not for others. Sure looks carrier related but since it does work on my Pre and not my Pre3 I get the feeling its actually a setting in the Pre3. Im putting my money that there is a setting in the carrier database that is incorrectly set to stop tethering?

Trouble is this area is cryptated/hashed so I can't see if there is something wrong or not, would be great to be able to read this part of the database.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    MHS works perfectly OK on my PRE3 unlocked GSM in Switzerland. Carrier is SWISSCOM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    WARNING: For those using FreeTether, there is a definite bug in FreeTether and it does not seem to close/exit properly. This results in massive battery drainage, eve nif the phone is on the Touchstone. The only solution, if any I can think of, is to reboot the phone after closing FreeTether.
    Have you tried going in and out of airplane mode to reset it or just turning off your wifi?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Been on phone support for 70 minutes trying to get Mobile Hotspot working. Wanted them to escalate so the technician atleast could check if there is a individual setting for each carrier in the carrier database that governs the sharing of the Internet connection.

Very frustrating to have MHS working on my 2 year old Pre but not on my Pre3.

/Andreas that is very tired of being instructed to do battery pulls to get MHS working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Been on phone support for 70 minutes trying to get Mobile Hotspot working. Wanted them to escalate so the technician atleast could check if there is a individual setting for each carrier in the carrier database that governs the sharing of the Internet connection.

Very frustrating to have MHS working on my 2 year old Pre but not on my Pre3.

/Andreas that is very tired of being instructed to do battery pulls to get MHS working.
    Tried pulling the battery? (sorry I had to).

You moved from Sprint to AT&T? I think AT&T blocks tethering until you pay up.
    Andreas likes this.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Tried pulling the battery? (sorry I had to).

You moved from Sprint to AT&T? I think AT&T blocks tethering until you pay up.
    Im actually in Europe on a operator that allows tethering. It works great on my Pre but not on the Pre3 so thats what got me thinking it could be incorrect setting in the carrierdb.json of the Pre3 that perhaps blocks tethering for my carrier.
    My AT&T Pre 3's MHS worked - but just for the first few hours after unpacking it! After that I tried it again but failed (permanently). I forgot what I did within those hours, perhaps OTA update, installed software in Preware, or changed country code & region...

I guess there maybe some settings which blocked the TCP/UDP MHS required, but didn't block FreeTether because it uses different port to tether. My data plan supports tethering and I could use MHS and FreeTether without any problems in Pre 2. Any idea?
    Palm Pilot Pro, Palm III, IBM Workpad C3, Visor Prism, Clie T650, LifeDrive, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro, Desire Z, UK Pre 2, AT&T Pre 3 & TouchPad 32G.
    ...Couldn't resolve Mobile Hot Spot to work, but after homebrewing my Pre 3, Freetether works, so Freetether it is for me...

This way we can also put to rest speculations that this is carrier-related issue - no, it is not, it is a problem within MHS (although semi-random, some ppl experience it, others don't) - since other app that does exactly the same thing, on the same carrier, works fine. Also the same SIM card put into any of the two Android phones I have, their "WiFi connection sharing" works OK, just as fast as I can switch the cards between them & Pre & back.
    I don't recommend AT&T users to use Mobile Hotspot or else it will either not work or they may charge extra for tethering. Just download freetether from preware as others have advised. Just make sure to restart your device when turning it off because it has a bug, as others have mentioned as well.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I have tested with 3 different SIMs from two different providers in Canada (Rogers and Bell, basically everyone else do not count in Canada) and I can surf the web on the phone, but not from the connected devices.

I have just returned from US and I visited several AT&T locations and they do not support the phone at all. No accessories, no troubleshooting, no repair service... nothing at all. Well... they did not sell the phone officially in the first place, so it's just expected.

I called HP Pre support line this morning again. They confirmed that HP will not provide any warranty for AT&T Pre3 in US (or in Canada where they were not sold). Hearing that I guess it sets me free to do whatever I want with the device without worrying about warranty issues.

So the Mobile Hotspot won't work, and can't install Skype Synergy on AT&T Pre3 Unlocked phones. Is there any versions of this OS that can be installed in the phone other than the AT&T garbage stuff that's in there?

I tried Doctoring with the Sprint version and it did not work (theirs is CDMA, not GSM I think). Is there a clean version of WebOS anywhere without vendor specific junk in there?
    Quote Originally Posted by gameoffuture View Post
    I have tested with 3 different SIMs from two different providers in Canada (Rogers and Bell, basically everyone else do not count in Canada) and I can surf the web on the phone, but not from the connected devices.

I have just returned from US and I visited several AT&T locations and they do not support the phone at all. No accessories, no troubleshooting, no repair service... nothing at all. Well... they did not sell the phone officially in the first place, so it's just expected.

I called HP Pre support line this morning again. They confirmed that HP will not provide any warranty for AT&T Pre3 in US (or in Canada where they were not sold). Hearing that I guess it sets me free to do whatever I want with the device without worrying about warranty issues.

So the Mobile Hotspot won't work, and can't install Skype Synergy on AT&T Pre3 Unlocked phones. Is there any versions of this OS that can be installed in the phone other than the AT&T garbage stuff that's in there?

I tried Doctoring with the Sprint version and it did not work (theirs is CDMA, not GSM I think). Is there a clean version of WebOS anywhere without vendor specific junk in there?
    ??? There is no sprint version, so what files were you trying to use?
    Mmm... Was it sprint or verizon? There was a page linked here in this site that had all the doctors for Pre3 listed. I can,t seem to be able to find it.

I downloaded a few of the from there to test. They did not work non the less. Only the AT&T one worked on this phone.

Sorry for my lack of memory and inaccurate detail.

My Touchpad arrived today. I want to use Mobile Hotspot on Pre 3 to connect with my TP. It said connected but no data flows. I tried freeTether.. Connected, loading screen then stop. Failed to connect server. Anyone who can success connect mobile hotspot to TP. What is your DHCP setting? Any idea what it is and what is the best setting?

Weird thing, freeTether can connect my Pre 3 with iPad1 without problem.

hotspot is also not working for me im using giff gaff in the UK
    I found a simple change to make hotspot work in the USA on the pre3 models (maybe on others not sure).

Go to phone, settings, network settings.... select manual:

Change APN to wap.cingular.com

Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1

Thats the same thing that android and iphone folks have done for a long time to get it to work. Just tried it out (remembered others doing it) and boom works fine. My H+ indicator turned back to 3g, but the speed stayed the same ~7 MBps in my house. So who cares. yay.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtkansan View Post
    I found a simple change to make hotspot work in the USA on the pre3 models (maybe on others not sure).

Go to phone, settings, network settings.... select manual:

Change APN to wap.cingular.com

Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1

Thats the same thing that android and iphone folks have done for a long time to get it to work. Just tried it out (remembered others doing it) and boom works fine. My H+ indicator turned back to 3g, but the speed stayed the same ~7 MBps in my house. So who cares. yay.
    Are you paying for a tethering plan? If not I would be interested in getting an update in a couple of weeks to see if AT&T can tell that you are using the hotspot for free. Very interesting if it works.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast