webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > EU Pre 3 in USA on AT&T's 1900MHz 3G network - Post results here
EU Pre 3 in USA on AT&T's 1900MHz 3G network - Post results here
Like Tree23Likes

Old 08/22/2011, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've got my UK EU Pre 3 up and running on AT&T's network as of this morning. 3G coverage on 1900MHz is not bad in the neighborhood where I live, and I have an AT&T Microcell femtocell device at home, so I also have 5 bars of 3G goodness at home. It appears that HSPA+ may only be deployed on the 850MHz band because I have a strong HSPA+ signal on my developer Veer whether out in the wild or when its connected through my AT&T Microcell femtocell device. So far, the UK EU Pre 3 isn't grabbing HSPA+ anywhere. Looks we'll have to do without HSPA+ data speed.

Have not ventured out into the wild very far so I cannot report on 1900MHz 3G coverage results beyond my home ATT Microcell device and in my surrounding neighborhood. So far, 1900MHz 3G coverage seems to be acceptable.

I'll keep everyone updated as I travel out and about.

TTB
Liked by blackfireball5 and Titan078 like this.
Old 08/22/2011, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

thats good to know thanks for pioneering this. i wonder if the pre 3 uses the same coms board as the pre 2, original pre etc. It would be awesome to have a frankenpre 3
2.0t03speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Hobbz likes this.
Old 08/22/2011, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks TTB!

I'd appreciate some more feedback on the Pre 3 and its coverage. Sad to see it won't be "4G", but I really wouldn't mind at this point. As soon as more reports from outside testing come in (from you), I'll take the plunge and grab one too.

Thanks!
Old 08/22/2011, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0t03speed View Post
thats good to know thanks for pioneering this. i wonder if the pre 3 uses the same coms board as the pre 2, original pre etc. It would be awesome to have a frankenpre 3
No, the comms boards are different. This has been discussed extensively already.

Pre 3 has Tri-Band UMTS
All other Pre's = legacy Pre's = Pre 2, Pre + and Pre - have Dual band UMTS
Old 08/22/2011, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ahh I haven't seen anythng on that. Good to know though. Looking forward to updates from you.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Old 08/22/2011, 03:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Ahh I haven't seen anythng on that. Good to know though. Looking forward to updates from you.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
There are a few others here in the USA with EU Pre 3's on the way. We'll be getting reports from multiple regions soon!
Old 08/22/2011, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey TTB,

I was just rereading the OP and was wondering what you meant by "3G Coverage is not bad". Is it comparable to your Veer? Do you get less bars than your Veer?

I appreciate you spearheading this experiment.
Old 08/22/2011, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

im looking to pick one up with they drop the price on them in the coming weeks.
Old 08/22/2011, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mine is on the way from handtec as well (have my fedex # and its in transit) and I am here in NYC region.

TTB: I recall some confusion in the other threads regarding which bands the UK Pre3 is rocking; so it does not have the 850 UTMS band correct?

EDIT: you were posting the answer to my question while I was typing it.
Old 08/22/2011, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
im looking to pick one up with they drop the price on them in the coming weeks.
I'd wait to read more results from our field tests. Remember the FruitPhone dropped calls issue ....... was linked to how the device handled switching from 1900 to 850 and visa versa for 3G.

Remember, these devices don't have 850 MHz available and 1900 MHz isn't deployed everywhere.

Don't rush just yet is all I am saying.
Thanked By: MudShark22
Old 08/22/2011, 04:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
Mine is on the way from handtec as well (have my fedex # and its in transit) and I am here in NYC region.

TTB: I recall some confusion in the other threads regarding which bands the UK Pre3 is rocking; so it does not have the 850 UTMS band correct?
No 850 UMTS. So No HSPA+, only 3G

NYC great! Manhatten is known to be one of the worst areas for 1900 MHz band reception along with the SF Bay area. Its the buildings in NYC and the hills in SF.
Awaiting some reports how well the EU device does in NYC!
Thanks!
Old 08/22/2011, 04:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

What was the total dollar cost to ship it to the USA? Thanks!

Buy HP Pre 3 Smartphone (SIM Free/Unlocked, Black) handtec.co.uk
BobKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 04:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
What was the total dollar cost to ship it to the USA? Thanks!

Buy HP Pre 3 Smartphone (SIM Free/Unlocked, Black) handtec.co.uk
That will depende on the conversion rate; but you are looking at $450+shipping minimum. Shipping for mine was about $12 or so.
Old 08/22/2011, 05:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Supporter

Ordered one this morning, will be testing in Detroit. I hope if the price comes down Handtec will match it.
brdl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 09:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Double posting this information I used as a response to information in another thread. They were trying to base their decision whether it's worthwhile to get an EU Pre 3 here in the USA on a 2004 Cingular Wireless coverage map. It's relevent information for this thread too.

Here's a link to the current AT&T Coverage Map - The difference between 2004 and 2011 is huge.

Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, & Wireless Accessories - from AT&T

I'll also try to explain how to differentiate between 850 and 1900 on it so you get a better idea
Almost everywhere there is 850, there is 1900, but the services offered on each band are different. For instance HSPA+ is not offered on 1900 band and the 1900 band does not work efficiently in the hills or in congested areas with lots of buildings. Even if 850 and 1900 are present, devices with only a single 1900 band available for 3G data will not always function very well except for voice and sms services. It's more dependent on the geography than anything else these days.

*** For the next few months, "4G" as referred to in this coverage viewer means HSPA+ ***
*** Soon the addition of LTE will change the data snapshot pictured by this coverage viewer ***

Anywhere you see the color for 4G there is 850 MHz AND 1900 MHz service presently, with HSPA+ on 850 MHz. 3G and Edge data services share the rest of the 850 MHz after any 850 MHz HSPA+ capable handset connections . 3G devices are given next priority for connections on the 850 MHz band after HSPA+ capable devices and also share the 1900 MHz band with Edge data device connections in these areas.

Anywhere you see either of the two colors representing Mobile Broadband, DataConnect Pass, and Edge data, there's also 850 MHz and 1900 MHz bands available. 3G now gets 850 MHz priority over Edge (Since the Fruitphone dropped calls fiasco). In these two colored bands, there's no HSPA+ capability yet. Our EU Pre'3s can only utilize the less robust 1900 MHz band so so hopefully there's no hills or buildings in these regions where you happen to be. Additionally, Edge data services are gradually getting pushed further into just the 1900 MHz band. Since our EU Pre 3's don't have 850 MHz available for 3G use, they will always defauilt to 1900 MHz here in the USA and only grab a 3G signal if theres any 1900 MHz available.

If you put two and two together, you figure out that besides the geographical limitations hindering 1900 MHz signals, since our EU Pre 3's can't take advantage of the 3G priority they'd receive if they were able to utilize the 3G space at 850 MHz, they'll sometimes find themselves duking it out with 2G Edge devices fighting for available channels on the ever increasingly crowded 1900 MHz band of spectrum.
Old 08/22/2011, 09:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
Hey TTB,

I was just rereading the OP and was wondering what you meant by "3G Coverage is not bad". Is it comparable to your Veer? Do you get less bars than your Veer?

I appreciate you spearheading this experiment.
When I stated 3G coverage is not bad, I was referring to the area near my home. I can already see differences between the two devices.

The Veer has 850 MHz and can be pegged with 5 bars of HSPA+ signal at the same time I'll look at the EU Pre 3 with a 2 1/2 bar 3G connection. This all makes sense due to differences in these two frequency spectrums. I also found out today that it takes twice as many cell sites at 1900 MHz to cover the same swath of area as it takes to cover with 850 MHz.

So far since I live in Orange County , south of LA and am in a highly populated area with dense coverage, I have not dropped a call , but I've been asked to repeat myself several times because callers tell me my voice was cutting in and out on them.

EDIT: Don't sweat that voice was dropping in and out. I think we've all experienced it to some degree a time or two.... Can you hear me now?? ***See my Day one review I've just posted. I'm giving the device my thumbs up for use in the USA. As long as the user is located in a metropoliton area and can accept the lack of HSPA+ then this device rocks!

EDIT: MudShark22 is receiving his EU Pre 3 later today so we'll be able to review the results of his testing of the EU Pre 3 on the east coast and in NYC soon enough. Wow, use it in Manhatten, NYC - I'm very interested in hearing about those tests.

More to come .....

Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 08/23/2011 at 06:39 AM.
TopTongueBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by arvindkolhar, SirataXero
Old 08/23/2011, 12:07 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
I have not dropped a call , but I've been asked to repeat myself several times because callers tell me my voice was cutting in and out on them.

More to come .....

This scares me more than anything. I would be far less concerned with spotty 3G coverage than having to deal with poor voice quality. Yikes--this could be a hardware issue too and with no support in the US for a UK designed device this could be bad. I really hope these issues for you were isolated and they don't repeat themselves again, or at least with any frequency...good luck!
Old 08/23/2011, 12:24 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
This scares me more than anything. I would be far less concerned with spotty 3G coverage than having to deal with poor voice quality. Yikes--this could be a hardware issue too and with no support in the US for a UK designed device this could be bad. I really hope these issues for you were isolated and they don't repeat themselves again, or at least with any frequency...good luck!
I agree Dsol,

I was going to try and use the pre 3 with ATT but I think this thread might have scared me off. HP Veer here I come!
ap3604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2011, 12:39 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
Ordered one this morning, will be testing in Detroit. I hope if the price comes down Handtec will match it.
Any results on good reception in MI? I am also in the area, also unlocked/sim free, does this pre3 have the bands to work with verizon or sprint, or just AT&T and T-Mobile?
h2o826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2011, 01:07 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o826 View Post
Any results on good reception in MI? I am also in the area, also unlocked/sim free, does this pre3 have the bands to work with verizon or sprint, or just AT&T and T-Mobile?
It only has a GSM radio, no CDMA radio, so that eliminated Vzw and Sprint from the jump. The 3G bands partially support at&t in some areas, and it will only run on EDGE if you're using T-Mobile USA
rashad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0