webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > EU Pre 3 in USA on AT&T's 1900MHz 3G network - Post results here
EU Pre 3 in USA on AT&T's 1900MHz 3G network - Post results here
Like Tree23Likes

Old 10/24/2011, 12:33 PM   #181 (permalink)

Sorry I did not see your post or try switching off "Automatic"...

... I just spent almost 2 weeks in FL travelling between Hollywood, Ft. Lauderdale, Weston, Aventura and Miami but unfortunately I had no joy with AT&T's 1900MHz 3G network in those areas as although it was identified (on my Pre3) in some areas, my experience with the actual network speed did not seem to get any better than that of EDGE. I should return sometime in November or December and may test it again. However, I just purchased an unlocked AT&T Pre3 as a spare so will probably travel to "Miami" only with that one next time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstrike View Post
Just got my eu qwerty Pre 3 here in Florida. I am only gettin Edge on AT&T. I have driven from Miami Lakes to Plantation and no 3g. Changed the carrier strings.

sadddd for me...sigh...

Anyone else in FL not getting 3g?

**Edit - went into the phone setting and turned off automatic and changed to 3g only...I haz 3gz...!

Speedtest.net: 2.43 down 1.02 up

Feels zippyyy...and I am indoors. Typically in this location 3g is pretty slow compared to other areas I frequent. Home is usually much faster.
Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
eKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2011, 02:08 PM   #182 (permalink)

As a reminder, any of you who are using an EU Pre 3 in the USA and you only see Edge data connection on it, first try enabling data roaming. Making that change usually resolves the problem.

As for T-Mobile USA you will only get Edge data, no 3G, no matter why you try. It's not possible for either the EU or the AT&T Pre 3 to make a 3G data connection on T-Mobile's USA network due to the AMS 1700 band they use in conjunction with the 2100 band. Gotta have both on TMO and the Pre 3 (any varient) doesn't have 1700.

TTB
Old 10/28/2011, 06:51 PM   #183 (permalink)

Just got my pre 3 UK version up and running on the GO plan ... I went into the store asked for a sim and payed the $56 bucks and went home slapped in the sim and BAM! It was all ready to go with data speeds faster then my pre2 on Sprint was getting ... very happy with the switch and I could care less about 4G at the moment as long as im faster then sprint its a win win in my book. So far no issues but we will see after I get some more usage out of it. #ProudPre3Owner
Ziplock is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by TopTongueBarry likes this.
Old 11/10/2011, 04:58 PM   #184 (permalink)

How can I view the bands the phone has for data? Is it 850,1900,2100 or is it 900,1900,2100? Is there a way to view that on my device. TIA !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
As a reminder, any of you who are using an EU Pre 3 in the USA and you only see Edge data connection on it, first try enabling data roaming. Making that change usually resolves the problem.

As for T-Mobile USA you will only get Edge data, no 3G, no matter why you try. It's not possible for either the EU or the AT&T Pre 3 to make a 3G data connection on T-Mobile's USA network due to the AMS 1700 band they use in conjunction with the 2100 band. Gotta have both on TMO and the Pre 3 (any varient) doesn't have 1700.

TTB
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2011, 05:12 PM   #185 (permalink)

mine has (I think) quad for 2g and tri for data ...can I query the phone to see what bands it actually has? TIA !!

Quote:
- Let's put the discussion on software flashing the EU Pre 3 modem to enable 850 MHz on the device to bed.
- Rod Whitby has chimed in and given us the facts about the Pre 3 modems.
- Pre 3 modems (comms boards) are NOT quad band UMTS capable like their sisters and brothers inside the Samsung Galaxy i9000 S.
- Theres no way software flashing will enable 850 MHz UMTS on the modem inside the EU Pre 3.

The only way to convert an EU Pre 3 so it will work using both 850 MHz and 1900 MHz UMTS will be a comms board swap. Unfortunately the comms boards that could be used for this purpose were only manufactured for the NA AT&T and NA Rogers Pre 3 devices. No one is expecting these NA Pre 3 devices to ever see the light of day, so it's not worth wasting time speculating if their comms boards might become available. They probably won't!

There is nobody in the webOS community with more knowledge about this subject than Rod Whitby - WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer.

Finally to answer lingering questions that continue to pop up:
- 850 MHz on AT&T will give you HSPA+. and 3G
- (AT&T HSPA+ is only available on 850 MHz along with 3G, 2G edge, and GPRS data.
- 850 MHz is more robust than 1900 MHz and therefore is more suitable for multiple protocol layering.
- 1900 Mhz on AT&T will give you 3G, 2G edge, and GPRS data.
- HSPA+ will not be deployed on the 1900MHz spectrum.

The push is to deploy 4G LTE on multiple frequency spectrums. I won't bother discussing which spectrums because it is a moot point as far as the Pre 3 is concerned. It's comms board does not support LTE.

Since there's nothing that can be done to enable HSPA + and the 850 MHz band as a whole on the EU Pre 3, and the device functions pretty doggonne well here in the USA even if limited to 3G on 1900 MHz, I'd say it's about time those of us lucky enough to have an EU Pre 3, sit back and enjoy using it the way it is.
Old 11/10/2011, 08:25 PM   #186 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
How can I view the bands the phone has for data? Is it 850,1900,2100 or is it 900,1900,2100? Is there a way to view that on my device. TIA !!
If it is an AT&T Pre3, then it has the following bands:
GSM (Voice & 2G data) - 850/900/1800/1900
HSPA (3G data) - 850/1900/2100

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2011, 10:11 AM   #187 (permalink)

Help me out here please. I have a Pre3 came sealed in a box AT&T branded. I have a Veer same AT&T box, both unlocked. Why is my data aquisition seemingly better with the Veer? How can I be sure the Pre3 is not somehow a 900,1900,2100 instead of 850 which is the stronger USA data band (having read your posts)? I like the Pre3 form factor better for visibility but the Veer seems stronger for data and has a clearer speakerphone as well ...I don't get it !!
Old 11/11/2011, 01:17 PM   #188 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
Help me out here please. I have a Pre3 came sealed in a box AT&T branded. I have a Veer same AT&T box, both unlocked. Why is my data aquisition seemingly better with the Veer? How can I be sure the Pre3 is not somehow a 900,1900,2100 instead of 850 which is the stronger USA data band (having read your posts)? I like the Pre3 form factor better for visibility but the Veer seems stronger for data and has a clearer speakerphone as well ...I don't get it !!
Although i would not put any failure beyond HP, but even then I seriously doubt that you have accidently gotten a UK/Euro Pre3. If your Pre3 is branded with AT&T and has the AT&T apps installed, I think you can be almost certain, that you do have an AT&T Pre3 with the HSPA 900/1900/2100 band radio.

From personal experience, I have found the Veer radios to be stronger than the Pre3 radios. My wife an I both have the same Vodafone service and while she has almost 'five' bars of signal most of the time, my Pre3 can barely manage 2 to 3 bars at best. I have tried two different AT&T Pre3s and have come to the same conclusion, that the Pre3 radio sucks big time.

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2011, 02:32 AM   #189 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice748 View Post
thats good to know thanks for pioneering this. i wonder if the pre 3 uses the same coms board as the pre 2, original pre etc. It would be awesome to have a frankenpre 3
It does not. See http://bit.ly/frankenpre3

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2011, 07:15 AM   #190 (permalink)

I am a new owner of HP Pre 3 ATT 4G 16 Gigs unlock bought from EBay last week.

I have inserted a SIM Card from BELL and enter the unlock code that was with the phone and everything is working very Well

It's very speedy phone compare to my old Palm Pre minus that was overclock 1,005 !!

Have a good day everyone

Alain

HP TouchPad 16 Gigs Wifi
With UberKernel 3.0.4 1,8 Ghz
Cyanogenmod 7 Alpha 3,5 Android 2.3.7

PS: sorry for the bad english, it's not my native language
abellemare44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2011, 10:16 AM   #191 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
Although i would not put any failure beyond HP, but even then I seriously doubt that you have accidently gotten a UK/Euro Pre3. If your Pre3 is branded with AT&T and has the AT&T apps installed, I think you can be almost certain, that you do have an AT&T Pre3 with the HSPA 900/1900/2100 band radio.

From personal experience, I have found the Veer radios to be stronger than the Pre3 radios. My wife an I both have the same Vodafone service and while she has almost 'five' bars of signal most of the time, my Pre3 can barely manage 2 to 3 bars at best. I have tried two different AT&T Pre3s and have come to the same conclusion, that the Pre3 radio sucks big time.
I believe you have made an error sanjay ...ATT USA uses HSPA 850/1900 and UK uses 900/1900 so I believe you mean to say I got an ATT Pre3 with "HSPA 850/1900/2100 band radio" ...am I correct here?
Old 12/16/2011, 02:26 AM   #192 (permalink)

Are you guys running the EU Pre3 wz EU firmware on US Networks?
Or did you flashed the EU phone with AT&T Firmware?
Thanks!
bluetiger512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2011, 02:32 AM   #193 (permalink)

EU firmware aka EU doctor
Liked by JesseJstreet likes this.
Old 09/26/2012, 04:21 PM   #194 (permalink)

So I've had my EU 8gb pre 3 for a year on the GO phone plan.... And im starting to wonder how much faster it would be to get the ATT branded 16gb Pre3 that has the "4g" can anyone do a speed test maybe a tell if its worth the switch.... I'll end up with more storage and if data is faster it would be worth the extra $15 a month in data charges on the go phone plan. On mobilespeedtest.com im getting about 500-600 kbps when doing the 100kb test.
Old 01/25/2013, 03:29 AM   #195 (permalink)

Quote:
No, the comms boards are different. This has been discussed extensively already.

Pre 3 has Tri-Band UMTS
All other Pre's = legacy Pre's = Pre 2, Pre + and Pre - have Dual band UMTS
Hello; I have seen a pre 3 (from ATT) unlocked and new on ebay from California.
Can you tell me, please, if it wil work well in Spain (Europe).
Thanks a lot.
Gabriel.
<edited by mod>
Thanks again.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/25/2013 at 03:49 AM. Reason: email address removed - not allowed
Gabriel Gerez Kraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 11:45 AM   #196 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Gerez Kraemer View Post
Hello; I have seen a pre 3 (from ATT) unlocked and new on ebay from California.
Can you tell me, please, if it wil work well in Spain (Europe).
Thanks a lot.
Gabriel.
<edited by mod>
Thanks again.
It depends...

Pre 3 has these frequency bands on the comm board...
2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 900 / 1900 / 2100

This List shows the major carriers using 2100 for UMTS. That would be 3g signal and you would be good.

If you are on an MVNO check around and find out what frequency they run 3g on. MVNOs in Spain are not shown on the table for which bands are in use.

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: creepingmee

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0