Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    I cannot seem to log into my profile or even create a new one with my Pre3 on AT&T.
    Says I need to contact Palm support for assistance.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I cannot seem to log into my profile or even create a new one with my Pre3 on AT&T.
    Says I need to contact Palm support for assistance.
    Do you also have a Veer using that profile?
    Quote Originally Posted by seretogis View Post
    Do you also have a Veer using that profile?
    I had a sprint pre(-) with that profile; but I removed my pre(-) running meta 2.1 from my profile and still cannot get first use to pass.

Says sign in failed, call palm support.
    Could be my sim card though; which I am checking out on thurs.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Might be worth putting up a collaborative google map where folks can file their device + country of phone origin + observations.

My 2Ę
    As another data point:

I was in NYC yesterday and the signal and call quality was much better than in the suburbs. Odd because I thought that the band that we don't have was supposed to be helpful in the situation where there are lots of tall buildings. But maybe the difference is the sheer number of towers that must be in the city. Anyway, fwiw.
    I understand that the antennas might be different but are the chips the same? Is it possible to pull the firmware from an AT&T comm board and flash it to a UK one? Keep in mind I have little experience hacking phones in comparison computers, video cards, etc so I do not understand everything involved such as efuses.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    can you use the pre 3 on AT&T with a pay as you go sim?
    Hey, I have to ask some questions here... I do have a EU (United Kingdom) Pre 3. I've been using it for at least 2 weeks now. It is 2.2, Build 3171 and I want to see if anyone has experienced any similar problems...

1. webOS 2.2, Build 3171.
    2. Factory unlocked, no crapware from any carrier.
    3. I use it on T-Mobile in the US. I live in Chicago.
    4. I have 1 Exchange account for work that syncs eMail, Calendar and Tasks. I have 3 gMail accounts which all 3 sync eMail and only one does Contacts. I have a Yahoo! account that only syncs eMail.
    5. All of the updates, with the exception of the Exchange account, are set to manual. Exchange syncs every 15 mins.

So, I did have problems with the phone locking up severely the first couple of days. I had other services like Facebook and Foursquare which have been completely disabled and has somewhat reduced the number of lockups. I think I've narrowed it down to using the locations services (GPS?). Everytime I run an app with location services, seems like there is a lockup later on. I ended up deleting the FB and FSq apps completely (I know do updates via Web browser with no location services) and will run the phone without using any other location services and see what happens (e.g. no running HP's Maps app).

Also, I've noticed that for prolonged periods of inactivity (when I put it on the dresser before going to sleep) it does lockup. During the day, lockups are a lot less prevalent. Needless to say, I've missed my wake up alarms a couple of times --which kills me!

One thing I've also noticed is that, when the phone locks up, the notification light is blinking --but I cannot get any response from the phone whatsoever. The only way of bringing it back to life is by performing the "triple toggle" reset or the taking the battery out. I always go for the first one since it does the trick every time.

Anyone experiencing any of these issues?
    I've been using mine for the past couple of weeks on AT&T using a GoPhone account. I'm in the Princeton area but do travel to NY quite a bit. The speeds vary a lot. Sometimes I get slightly over 1Mbps and sometimes it's really slow (around 100Kbps) when showing 3G.
    Edge is almost always faster than 1x on Sprint (comparing to my Pre Plus on Sprint).
    In general, coverage is okay. Not that great indoors, but OK. In some areas where I have strong Sprint reception, I have weak AT&T reception, vice versa.

Outdoor coverage in Manhattan is okay. Download speeds varied there a lot, too. Not sure if it has anything to do w/ being on a GoPhone account...

The phone is great. Screen is beautiful, super responsive, and keyboard is the BEST ever.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Tested my UK Pre 3 for several hours in Downtown Manhattan NYC in an indoor location and was getting 3 bars and about same download/upload speed as 3G on 850mhz (AT&T). Will be doing more testing when my screen protector arrives.
    Quote Originally Posted by iofer View Post
    can you use the pre 3 on AT&T with a pay as you go sim?
    Yes, I am doing just that right now.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Tested the UK Pre 3 in downtown Manhattan indoor location over AT&T 3G. Download is 5-8 Mbps and upload is 1-1.5 Mbps around midnight today. Hope this is helpful to anyone who lives, works or travels to NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by hkgnyc View Post
    Tested my UK Pre 3 for several hours in Downtown Manhattan NYC in an indoor location and was getting 3 bars and about same download/upload speed as 3G on 850mhz (AT&T). Will be doing more testing when my screen protector arrives.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkgnyc View Post
    Tested the UK Pre 3 in downtown Manhattan indoor location over AT&T 3G. Download is 5-8 Mbps and upload is 1-1.5 Mbps around midnight today. Hope this is helpful to anyone who lives, works or travels to NYC.
    Yeah, I'd expect they use the higher bands (which are common for EU and US Pre 3) for inner-city small-cell coverage.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    In North Seattle I am getting 1.6 mb down, 1.0 mb up with a UK GSM Pre 3. That's 3x faster than Sprint's 3G on my old HTC Evo. :P
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Just got my eu qwerty Pre 3 here in Florida. I am only gettin Edge on AT&T. I have driven from Miami Lakes to Plantation and no 3g. Changed the carrier strings.

sadddd for me...sigh...

Anyone else in FL not getting 3g?

**Edit - went into the phone setting and turned off automatic and changed to 3g only...I haz 3gz...!

Speedtest.net: 2.43 down 1.02 up

Feels zippyyy...and I am indoors. Typically in this location 3g is pretty slow compared to other areas I frequent. Home is usually much faster.
    Last edited by lstrike; 09/23/2011 at 03:35 PM.
  16.    #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by lstrike View Post
    Just got my eu qwerty Pre 3 here in Florida. I am only gettin Edge on AT&T. I have driven from Miami Lakes to Plantation and no 3g. Changed the carrier strings.

sadddd for me...sigh...

Anyone else in FL not getting 3g?
    NO dont change carrier strings for att not needed on theEU PRE 3. you can hose them. Sometimes the only way to fix will be a doctor.

All you need to do is go to the phone app, then the settings. enable data roaming. accept the prompt that informs you that you could be subject to additional changes (Don't worry, You're NOT going to be charged domestically for any data roaming, what happens if you end up roaming so much that its costly to the carrier, guess what you get a get out of your contract free email pass from them.
    All us carriers have domestic roaming agreements now a days. Heck if you happen to be on Sprint, half the time you are on 1X EvDO you are actually piggy backing on Verizon for your data.

They'll just send you a letter suggesting that you might be served better by a different carrier based on the coverage in the area you use you r device the most. That's usually after you rack up a ton of roaming charges they have to pay but not pass on to you (domestically)) . They will go on to inform you that if you do choose to switch to a different carrier then they will let you out of your contract free, no early termination fee.

Here's the scoop. enableing data roaming is good, the device is free to latch on to whichever data signal it can lock on to. instead of only the data signal your carrier sim may specify and those settings do change over time such that the carriers have to send updates ota to change settings and configuration on your sim card every now and then. if you missed it , or your phone is off for an extended period when they are sending them out, your sim does not get the update and so with data roaming off, your device keeps trying to lock onto the one string specified by your sim. Even if they dont turn that setting off or make it unavailable which they almost never do, it ends up becoming less available over time.

You should also know your carrier likely has many data connection strings active at any one time depending on where in their coverage area you are.

As for the lack of 3G on an EU pre 3 using AT&T, note the eu pre 3 can only offer 3G in the USA IF there are 1900 MHz UMTS signals present. if your data roaming is turned on, and if you are in the continental USA, using an AT&T pre or post paid sim card, and you do not get a 3G connection on your EU pre 3, then you are not in an area served by 1900 , and yes there are some large swaths, mostly rural.
    Also Also you can't get HSPA+ on that band so your EU pre 3 is basically going to only get edge and 3g data .
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Wow thanks for all the info! I think I just confused my language. I just made the changes posted on page 8 of this thread the default carrier stuff. Is that not necessary? Should I change it back? Is that why I can't seem to flash uberkernel?

I made the changes under the phone setting as per your instructions for roaming and what not. Phone is working brilliant. Seriously I am not worried 1 bit about missing hspa+. At home I am getting 4mb down and 1 up.

I am very satisfied so far. I panicked and ordered an AT&T pre3 in the process. I seriously sparked but I guess its ok as I wanted the 16gb version anyways so I guess I will have a EU qwerty to sell once I get the domestic one.

I am loving life though the resolution is great, the screen is beautiful and the build quality is amazing. Palms fortunes could have been very different if this device had been the first.
    want a Pre3..live just north of Boston, MA. I didn't read every post, but if you or if you have heard anything about service or which carrier would be the best bet for me, please help me out. I can't find ANYTHING CLOSE to an acceptable replacement for my Pre minus and I'm close to pulling my hair out here. T-Mobile is less spendy than At&t and it seems the roaming setting is the way to go anyway. I don't live in the city, so is it worth me paying for this baby? Any info you can give me is appreciated...pm me. Thanks my webOS devotees...I'm thrilled I'm not the only one!
    Palm Pre Legacy WebOS 2.1
    http://www.prethemer.com/profile/holley2583/themes, Checkum' Out!
    I received and set up a Pre 3 on ATT here in the San Francisco Bay Area and took it with my family on a trip to the Sierra Foothills this weekend. I have to report that while there is definitely some minor difference on 3g receptivity and speed, it has been negligible and the phone has performed admirably everywhere I need it to thus far.
  20.    #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggiffin View Post
    Started testing with Bell yesterday in Halifax. In city and outskirts have 3G everywhere but only 1 or 2 bars most places. Download rates comparable to Rogers. With only 1 bar there were a couple of dropped calls.

Outside of Halifax there is absolutely NO coverage as indicated on the website below. Bell has only 850Mhz in rural areas. Not sure if its worth testing Telus as I suspect they are just using Bell's infrastructure.

I have to decide if having a Pre3 is worth going down to 2G data rates offered by Rogers.
    If you purchase an AT&T Pre 3 with both 850 and 1900 Mhz for 3G/4G and you get it unlocked (easy - codes are everywhere) why would you need to settle for only EDGE 2.5G data? You should have 3G on both Rogers and Bell GSM using this model.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast