Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    (That gives me time to figure out what WOSQI is!)
    WebOS Quick Install. http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v4-3-0-a.html

It's useful for various kinds of modifications. Everyone should get it, even if only to install PreWare.
    Yep. Thanks. I just didn't know the acronym. I've had it installed since day 1 with my Pre+. Spose I'll have to upgrade when the Pre3 comes.
    Receiving my Pre3 UK sometime tomorrow in Anchorage, AK. I'll let everyone know how it goes. If I read and understood what was all said in this thread, I think I shouldn't have any problems. First, I'll have to activate one of SIMS from an older phone since I'm currently using an iPhone 4 on AT&T. Hopefully, AT&T won't give me any problems.
  4.    #144  
    You can get a microsim adapter your current sim will fit into for insertion into a regular sim slot. Available on eBay and many other places.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacstar View Post
    Receiving my Pre3 UK sometime tomorrow in Anchorage, AK. I'll let everyone know how it goes. If I read and understood what was all said in this thread, I think I shouldn't have any problems. First, I'll have to activate one of SIMS from an older phone since I'm currently using an iPhone 4 on AT&T. Hopefully, AT&T won't give me any problems.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    I spoke to an AT&T rep last night online, and he advised I go into the store. Since I'm an iPhone 4 owner, I'll have to make some changes to my account plan. Then we lost connection, and I couldn't ask him about the SIM swap or any other extra charges... so we'll see how it goes.
    Installed new SIM, and everything working great. Rep made it sound like I had to go make a bunch of settings to get data working but seems to be fine. So, I'll assume Anchorage has the coverage.

Now to learn the phone. Once I get all my apps loaded, I'll do some more testing.

North Anchorage - 3G 1.9Mbit/s dwn: 316Kbit/s up
    South Anchorage - 3G 1.3Mbit/s dwn: 39Kbit/s up
    Last edited by Bacstar; 09/12/2011 at 06:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggiffin View Post
    Bell Canada implemented a brand new HSPA network in 2009 but it appears to operate exclusively on the 850 frequency. If we can get the Pre3 to be dual band I suspect we will get better data transfer rates on the newer Bell network.
    Have been testing on Rogers network for 3 days. Getting 3G only in Halifax. 2G everywhere else. This is consistent with Rogers coverage map. Only 3G in major cities. 3G download speeds are between 0.9 and 1.8Mbits/s. 2G speeds are pathetic at 40-90Kbits/s. Have been able to get some form of coverage everywhere I have tried.

Now in downtown Toronto and getting 3G inside the Royal York Hotel and at 1.8Mbits/s. (still on Rogers)

Stopped briefly at Bell Store on outskirts of Halifax on way to airport. Tried a sim from the employee and was able to get 3G. This is counter to the coverage shown at Canadian Cellular Towers Map which indicates only 850 everywhere. Will get a sim on Monday to start testing on Bell. This is encouraging as Bell has far better 3G coverage. No one at Bell knows anything about frequencies (850 vs 1900). Stay tuned.
    Have been testing on Rogers network for 3 days. Getting 3G only in Halifax. 2G everywhere else. This is consistent with Rogers coverage map. Only 3G in major cities. 3G download speeds are between 0.9 and 1.8Mbits/s. 2G speeds are pathetic at 40-90Kbits/s. Have been able to get some form of coverage everywhere I have tried.

Now in downtown Toronto and getting 3G inside the Royal York Hotel and at 1.8Mbits/s. (still on Rogers)

Stopped briefly at Bell Store on outskirts of Halifax on way to airport. Tried a sim from the employee and was able to get 3G. This is counter to the coverage shown at Canadian Cellular Towers Map which indicates only 850 everywhere. Will get a sim on Monday to start testing on Bell. This is encouraging as Bell has far better 3G coverage. No one at Bell knows anything about frequencies (850 vs 1900). Stay tuned.
    Just got my UK pre3 in the mail. I will hopefully get it up and running by sunday. I will be testing it on the Bell network in the Ottawa area.
    Just got my pre3 active about an hour or so ago. Everything went smooth. Profile was restored perfectly, the device recognized the Bell sim card and the apn settings were automatically inserted and the 3G icon went up. I have yet to place any real calls (i called my voicemail which went through).

I only seem to have one problem, and this is a problem to me. When receiving a text message, it will come in 3-5 minutes late. I am not sure as to why this is happening, i do believe it has to do with the device and not the network. Going in an out of airplane mode does not fix the problem (as it once did on my pre2), but i will receive the message a few seconds after restarting the device and it will show the correct time of which it was sent. Does anyone have any idea on this?
    Now time for a little status report from my first day.

So far the service on the pre3 has been very similar if not the same as my pre2. I went to work (located downtown), and i was getting reception. Data was working as i was able to surf the web, i placed a few phone calls, and text messages where going through aswell. I will be going to school tomorrow and will be testing it there (Carleton), but so far reception is not an issue.

On a side note, my battery died extremely quickly, and when i say extremely i mean in about 3-4 hours. But it is the first day so it may still have been syncing itself with all my accounts, i will give it a few more days before giving a final say on the battery.

As to my previous text message issue, it is still occurring, and has gotten worse. I had to reset the device to get the messages, which gets extremely annoying as you can imagine. I decided to then doctor the device and see if it will make a difference. I preformed a full erase and then doctored and the problem is still happening.

Does anyone have any idea what so ever? At this point it could be either the device or the network, and i am completely baffled :/
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I have now had an chance to check and my /usr/bin/modem/palm_nv_items.txt file does contain the change noted above, confirming the change works. If you want to replace the entire section here it is - changes in bold:

#PALM NV ,Set Default Carrier to AT&T for now.
    8001,NV_PALM_LPM_MODE_I,1
    8500,NV_PALM_UIM_POWER_DISABLE_I,0
    8502,NV_PALM_CARRIER_I,2
    8503,NV_PALM_INTERNAL_TEST_OPTIONS_I,1,0,0,0
    So, TTB:

I just got my UK Pre3 but, uh, have no idea how to find this file. I did a search of the forum but it must be ultra-basic noob type stuff because I can't find anything on how to do it.

Some of what I saw suggests that it requires linux command-line access? If so, I'll probably pass as I worry I'd do more damage than good. Anyway, thanks as always.
    I have now had an chance to check and my /usr/bin/modem/palm_nv_items.txt file does contain the change noted above, confirming the change works. If you want to replace the entire section here it is - changes in bold:

8502,NV_PALM_CARRIER_I,2
    I just received my UK Pre3 last night and have been getting everything setup since then. I did have a 3G signal and data seemed to work ok from home. On the train ride to work this morning (in Chicago) I lost 3G and didn't regain it until I switched airplane mode on/off. So the first thing I wanted to do this morning was try this fix. However, I don't seem to have this file on my Pre3. I made my way to /usr/bin on Internalz, but I don't even have a modem folder.

I noticed the Jason mentioned the files in /usr/lib/modem. Mise and/or TTB, can one of you confirm that this is the correct location for the palm_nv_items.txt we should edit? Or should we copy/move those files to /usr/bin/modem and create the directory?

Thanks guys.
    For what it's worth, my limited experience after having received mine yesterday:

I'm in Westchester County, NY (just outside of NYC) and my 3G is spotty, even outside of my house. Walking around my yard yesterday it went to Edge, something my Pre+ never has. I'm also wondering if Bluetooth is a bit glitchy as I had a call earlier this morning that dropped out a couple times. Bluetooth sounds scratchy. There were no more dropouts after I turned off my headset, but I'm wondering if it could've been the voice connection. (Other caller was on a landline.)

Come on HP! Release the ATT Pre3!
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I have my 3G turned off
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  15.    #155  
    EDIT 9/13: Path corrected to /usr/lib/modem

I have now had an chance to check and my /usr/lib/modem/palm_nv_items.txt file does contain the change noted above, confirming the change works. If you want to replace the entire section here it is - changes in bold:

8502,NV_PALM_CARRIER_I,2
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    dadueler likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    So, TTB:

I just got my UK Pre3 but, uh, have no idea how to find this file. I did a search of the forum but it must be ultra-basic noob type stuff because I can't find anything on how to do it.

Some of what I saw suggests that it requires linux command-line access? If so, I'll probably pass as I worry I'd do more damage than good. Anyway, thanks as always.
    To answer my own question, in case anyone else is wondering, TTB replied to me via PM stating that command line was necessary and to use WOSQI. However, I found another way:

Load up Internalz Pro (careful with the order in which you load various components) and then enable Internalz Pro as a text editor and enable master mode, both in preferences. Navigate to the file per TTB's direction, edit it accordingly, save, close, and reboot.

Huzzah!
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I edited the file via vi from novaterm, but haven't yet rebooted...notice any changes circadia?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Not really. But if it's only to make it easier or slightly quicker for the phone to connect to the ATT network, I didn't expect to really see a huge difference. TTB thought it was notable, but I think he pays better attention than me!
    Started testing with Bell yesterday in Halifax. In city and outskirts have 3G everywhere but only 1 or 2 bars most places. Download rates comparable to Rogers. With only 1 bar there were a couple of dropped calls.

Outside of Halifax there is absolutely NO coverage as indicated on the website below. Bell has only 850Mhz in rural areas. Not sure if its worth testing Telus as I suspect they are just using Bell's infrastructure.

I have to decide if having a Pre3 is worth going down to 2G data rates offered by Rogers.

Anyone else having spotty call quality and questionable bluetooth sound?

One of the things I've always loved about Palm devices is their excellent (relative to other mobiles) call and connection quality. I don't know if it's because it's the UK version, or there's problems with the phone itself, or even if it's because of where I am in relation to cell towers, but I'm having a number of things happen which never happened with my Pre+:

1. My Motorola Bluetooth earpiece which worked fine with my Pre+ drops out here and there and when it's not dropping out the sound is often distorted. The drop outs alone make me turn it off and use the phone normally. (Many people don't like or use them, but if I'm on the phone with a client and need to be typing, it's essential.)

EDIT: A reboot seemed to fix this when testing it for one call. An hour later (without much use of the Pre3), I received a call and the problem returned.

2. I think that the phone (not using Bluetooth) occasionally drops out. But it's hard to tell for sure. Sometimes it seems like it's dropping out when in fact the person on the other end is just pausing. When this happens the sound goes dead--meaning you can't hear any, what I would call, "line noise". It's very disconcerting because, in those brief moments, I can't tell if the call has dropped completely, if it's just dropped a small portion of what the other person was saying, or if it's just that that person is pausing mid-sentence.

3. Even when listening to the person on the other end, the volume at the beginning and end of statements or sections of speech is extremely muted but, in the middle, very loud--even clipped. For those familiar with sound engineering and the like, it's almost like there's some kind of weird limiting/gating/compression going on.

So, is anyone experiencing these kinds of issues? Either way, does anyone have any thoughts? I love my Pre3, but my cell is my primary line for business and leisure, and these issues will make it very difficult to use it as a phone.

Keep in mind that I've only had it a couple days and haven't ventured far from home yet, so maybe it'll get better. (That's silly hope, eh?)

EDIT: No response yet. Anyone else experiencing this? Maybe I should start a new thread?
    Last edited by circadia; 09/14/2011 at 08:28 PM.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast