Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1.    #101  
    I'm at work today so I won't be much help or able to look at this any more until tonight.

Here's the link to the Android community's modem flasher for the Samsung Galaxy i9000 S that enables the 850 MHz band.

Hopefully with this and the palm_nv_items.txt files found in the Pre 3 doctor we can establish a clear path forward .

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10422332/modem_I9000ugjl2.zip
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Mize and Jason R. Can you please look at this ASAP. It looks like both palm_nv_items.txt files are in this doctor, and would only need to be moved?
    Honestly, I would have no idea where to even start, sorry.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    If you go to the HP website for webOS (not hpwebos.com), you will see the Pre3 is no longer listed on the US site.

HP webOS | TouchPad and Veer| HP Official Site | U.S.
  5.    #105  
    I've opened up the Android flashing hack for the Samsung Galaxy i9000 S and am looking to possibly change the palm_nv_items.txt files.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Honestly, I would have no idea where to even start, sorry.
    Jason,
    I can. Could you take a look at this ipk in the Pre 3 doctor and let me know what it contains and what it looks like it does.Won't do any good for me to edit the nv_items text files if this ipk does all the dirty work.

Don't laugh, I've never opened one up before.

resources\wr.tar\mantarayumtsfw-row_1.0.1-3500_armv7.ipk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.
    dadueler likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-E-A-S-T View Post
    The page "exists," but it's not linked on the main page. It's only the Veer and TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I should have my pre3 by the end of next week & will give it a shot.

later today I'll pull apart the doc and compare the nv items with my veer's and open the ipk.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    I've opened up the Android flashing hack for the Samsung Galaxy i9000 S and am looking to possibly change the palm_nv_items.txt files.

Jason,
    I can. Could you take a look at this ipk in the Pre 3 doctor and let me know what it contains and what it looks like it does.Won't do any good for me to edit the nv_items text files if this ipk does all the dirty work.

Don't laugh, I've never opened one up before.

resources\wr.tar\mantarayumtsfw-row_1.0.1-3500_armv7.ipk
    There's 2 different palm_nv_items.txt files in that ipk. One that installs to /usr/lib/modem/palm_nv_items.txt and another within /usr/lib/modem/mantarayumts.tar.gz

FYI, you can install 7zip (version 4.65 specifically) and that'll work to open .ipk files.

Maybe a dumb question, but on the hardware size of things, would the UK triband 3G even be capable of adjusting for 850MHz 3G?
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Hey TopTongueBarry,

I recently got a unlocked uk pre 3. Do you know how well it would work on the t-mobile network? I know your using at&t. btw I'm located in NYC if this helps. What do you recommend?
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    There's 2 different palm_nv_items.txt files in that ipk. One that installs to /usr/lib/modem/palm_nv_items.txt and another within /usr/lib/modem/mantarayumts.tar.gz

FYI, you can install 7zip (version 4.65 specifically) and that'll work to open .ipk files.

Maybe a dumb question, but on the hardware size of things, would the UK triband 3G even be capable of adjusting for 850MHz 3G?
    The chipset specs state that the modem can do 850/900/1900/2100 for UMTS, so in theory it's possible.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by dfranco711 View Post
    Hey TopTongueBarry,

I recently got a unlocked uk pre 3. Do you know how well it would work on the t-mobile network? I know your using at&t. btw I'm located in NYC if this helps. What do you recommend?
    I am sure TopTongueBarry can provide a more enlightened opinion, but as far as I know T-Mobile uses the 1700 and 2100 band for 3G but unlike AT&T, which too uses two bands (850, 1900) for 3G, their 3G networkiuses the two bands simultaneously. One band for uplinking and one band for downlinking. Thus with the 1700 band missing from the Pre3, there is no way that 3G would work on the T-Mobile network.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 09/03/2011 at 11:10 AM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I am sure TopTongueBarry can provide a more enlightened opinion, but as far as I know T-Mobile uses the 1700 and 2100 band for 3G but unlike AT&T, which too uses two bands (850, 1900) for 3G, their 3G network iuses the two bands suimultaneously. One band for uplinking and one band for downlinking. Thus with the 1700 band missing from the Pre3, there is no way that 3G would work on the T-Mobile network.
    Thanks for the input Sanjay. I know there are some limitations with us carriers but im not much of a tech person myself. Just want to get the most use out of the Pre 3. So your saying at&t is my best bet.
  13.    #113  

Same thing I've found in the doctor. Are the two files in the ipk different? In the doctor it appears one of them is for the Pre 3 with the EU modem specs, and the other one is for the Pre 3 with the NA modem specs. I'm thinking we determine where we need to put the NA spec'd file so the flasher will use it.

Maybe Rod can offer some input?

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    The chipset specs state that the modem can do 850/900/1900/2100 for UMTS, so in theory it's possible.
    Specifically, the EU flasher enables 900 1900 and 2100
    The NA flasher enables 850, 1900, and 2100.

The Android community has had some success flashing to quad band, but inconsistent. I posted a link to their flasher which enables 850MHz on the EU Samsung Galaxy i9000S modem in an earlier post.
    dadueler likes this.
    if we get 850 i'll pay my verizon ETF and ebay one of these suckers immediately! HP is so stupid.
    is the radio chipset the same as the veer and therefore could you use the modem software from that device to get 850Mhz going?

if this works I'm getting one asap too!
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B-E-A-S-T View Post
    is the radio chipset the same as the veer and therefore could you use the modem software from that device to get 850Mhz going?

if this works I'm getting one asap too!
    It's the same family, but not the identical chipset. I'm not sure if the modem/radio is the same.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Same thing I've found in the doctor. Are the two files in the ipk different? In the doctor it appears one of them is for the Pre 3 with the EU modem specs, and the other one is for the Pre 3 with the NA modem specs. I'm thinking we determine where we need to put the NA spec'd file so the flasher will use it.

Maybe Rod can offer some input?
    I've looked at the two nv_items files and they're totally different...perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place. Once is short and clearly states UMTS for "ROW" but I don't see one that references NA?
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Okay, I've compared the /usr/bin/modem/palm_nv_items.txt from my AT&T Veer with this ROW Pre3. Here is where they define character in the Veer:

#PALM NV ,Set Default Carrier to AT&T for now.

8001,NV_PALM_LPM_MODE_I,1
    8500,NV_PALM_UIM_POWER_DISABLE_I,0
    8502,NV_PALM_CARRIER_I,2
    8503,NV_PALM_INTERNAL_TEST_OPTIONS_I,1,0,0,0

and here is that same section in the pre3:

#PALM NV ,Set Default Carrier to ROW.

8502,NV_PALM_CARRIER_I,0
    8503,NV_PALM_INTERNAL_TEST_OPTIONS_I,0,0,0,0

I've boldfaced the only difference.

I have no idea if this one line alone tells the ROM what modes to enable on the radio/modem, but it's a thought...
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Interestingly the palm_nv_items.txt files in the corresponding tar.gz directories (broadway for Veer, Mantaray for Pre 3) are mostly identical. Mantaray has a dozen or so additional settings, but the line for defining the carrier (same as above) is commented out in mantaray and non-existent in broadway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Okay, I've compared the /usr/bin/modem/palm_nv_items.txt from my AT&T Veer with this ROW Pre3. Here is where they define character in the Veer:

#PALM NV ,Set Default Carrier to AT&T for now.

8502,NV_PALM_CARRIER_I,2
    8503,NV_PALM_INTERNAL_TEST_OPTIONS_I,1,0,0,0

and here is that same section in the pre3:

#PALM NV ,Set Default Carrier to ROW.

8502,NV_PALM_CARRIER_I,0
    8503,NV_PALM_INTERNAL_TEST_OPTIONS_I,0,0,0,0

I've boldfaced the only difference.

I have no idea if this one line alone tells the ROM what modes to enable on the radio/modem, but it's a thought...
    Actually you overlooked the difference highlighted in red.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad