Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 196
Like Tree23Likes
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    LOL. At home RF, board-level hacking? Good luck!
    I wasn't referring to actually physically hacking the comm board in the device to try to enable the 850 MHz frequency. Just from doing some google searching, I have stumbled upon some devices that were produced for the NA and EU. The difference between the 2 devices is obviously the bands the devices can run on.

    In some cases, the comm boards/antennas were identical and had the capability to run on both NA and EU bands, it was simply the firmware or OS that disabled the appropriate frequencies depending on the model.

    If this is the case for the Pre3, it is feasible that the device has 850 MHz capabilities but they are simply disabled by the firmware version or the OS.

    To determine this, we would need a bit more information than we currently have:
    1. The FCC # for the EU model users are currently purchasing
    2. The FCC # for the Pre3 model that was going to be on the AT&T network
    3. The component ID listings from both of the FCC filings (currently under a long-term confidentiality clause)

    If the component models are the same, 850 MHZ is, in theory, a possibility.
  2. #62  
    That would be amazing!
  3. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #63  
    See the someone needs to tear down a EU pre3 thread - chipset info there.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  4.    #64  
    Here's the link in here , this is an appropriate place to continue we're stickied.
    WHo's going to try this. I'm going to wait until I have anbother Pre 3 in hand before doing it unless someone else is more daring and trys it first without bricking their modem.

    Support HOW TO: Enable 850Mhz 3G Network Frequency on your Samsung i9000 Galaxy S - Android Forums
    I fibbed, coundn't resist. I tried it and the *#*#0011*#*#* too .
    No menu opened up
    But im wondering if we access the modem service menu using novacom with our Pre 3 attached to the PC by USB

    One more thing, if the same hardware is on both the NA and the EU Pre 3's then it's possible we can examine the modem flashing routine in the doctor , when its released. Might be able to make the change in the modem flasher using meta doctor. Oh this is sooo exciting
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 08/24/2011 at 07:34 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  5. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #65  
    thing is, by all accounts, the chipset's modem supports 850 MHz. Now we just need a guru to work up a ROM hack
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    thing is, by all accounts, the chipset's modem supports 850 MHz. Now we just need a guru to work up a ROM hack
    Its looking that way.
    Thing is, no one will touch this project until after HP releases a webOS doctor for the Pre 3.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  7. #67  
    Just got mine, ATT 3G in Los Angeles works fine. Some apps I had on my pre+ doesn't seem to be available to the pre3, the devs probably haven't checked the pre3 box in app catalog yet. (That includes a few of my own apps)
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    Just got mine, ATT 3G in Los Angeles works fine.
    Yup, Im in the OC and 3G with 1900 MHz only is reliable enough here too. It's mostly rural areas that don't have the coverage in that spectrum. Once they let loose with the webOS doctor for the Pre 3, and the modem flasher can be extracted we're hoping to enable the 850MHz band on these the same way the android folks have come up with a method to enable the 850 MHz band on the modem of the EU Galaxy S smartphone. A byproduct of this effort will be HSPA+ faux 4G that works. Looks like both the Samsung and Pre 3 use the same chipset.

    TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 08/25/2011 at 12:44 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  9. #69  
    Thought I would share some info I have found while digging.

    The Pre 3 User Manual (PDF) can be found here:
    HP Pre 3 User Manual Guide PDF Download (Orange) - Owner's Manual & User's Guide - PDF eBook Download

    If you look in the "Regulatory and safety information" section in the user manual, you can find some more information relating to the NA and EU models. This includes the FCC ID for the model this user manual is for.

    You can view information on the FCC report at fcc.gov./oet/ea/fccid
    The FCC ID for this model is B94HHF30CE (The 'CE' pretty much gives away that this is the European model).

    Here comes the interesting part. Some of the documents from the FCC filing are under a confidentiality clause. Some of these are long-term confidential and the others expire on 11/29/2011.

    One of the documents currently available is a "GRANT OF EQUIPMENT AUTHORIZATION" form. The frequency ranges that were tested are listed on this form and are as follows:
    824.2 - 848.8
    1850.2 - 1909.8
    1852.4 - 1907.6

    (Some of these are duplicated on the list because the have different output watts).

    The last interesting thing to note is the info at the bottom of this form. It states: "This device contains functions that are not operational in US Territories. Filings under FCC ID are applicable only for US operations."

    Maybe the frequencies listed here are only the GSM frequencies making this irrelevant. I am sure there are some people out there on this forum that have more wireless/mobile technical knowledge than me, so I will let them take it from here.

    Please post of you are able to interpret this form!
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticalman2 View Post
    Thought I would share some info I have found while digging.

    The Pre 3 User Manual (PDF) can be found here:
    HP Pre 3 User Manual Guide PDF Download (Orange) - Owner's Manual & User's Guide - PDF eBook Download

    If you look in the "Regulatory and safety information" section in the user manual, you can find some more information relating to the NA and EU models. This includes the FCC ID for the model this user manual is for.

    You can view information on the FCC report at fcc.gov./oet/ea/fccid
    The FCC ID for this model is B94HHF30CE (The 'CE' pretty much gives away that this is the European model).

    Here comes the interesting part. Some of the documents from the FCC filing are under a confidentiality clause. Some of these are long-term confidential and the others expire on 11/29/2011.

    One of the documents currently available is a "GRANT OF EQUIPMENT AUTHORIZATION" form. The frequency ranges that were tested are listed on this form and are as follows:
    824.2 - 848.8
    1850.2 - 1909.8
    1852.4 - 1907.6

    (Some of these are duplicated on the list because the have different output watts).

    The last interesting thing to note is the info at the bottom of this form. It states: "This device contains functions that are not operational in US Territories. Filings under FCC ID are applicable only for US operations."

    Maybe the frequencies listed here are only the GSM frequencies making this irrelevant. I am sure there are some people out there on this forum that have more wireless/mobile technical knowledge than me, so I will let them take it from here.

    Please post of you are able to interpret this form!
    When I have time after work today I will look at the
    824.2 - 848.8 band.
    Maybe you have something here. Maybe not. Like you say, that part of the 800MHz block may just be for GSM. Hopefully someone else here might have more informnation to offer before I can look it up .

    Thanks to the Android hacks already in use to enable the 850 MHz UMTS band on other EU devices with this same chipset it is looking more and more likely we might be on to something, though I learned not to get too optimistic too early on while working on the Telcel Pre unlock a few years ago. Taking it all in as it comes our way.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  11. #71  
    Wiki lists the 850 band as having user equipment transmit frequencies of 824 to 849 which matches 824.2-848.8 (rounded). See: UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    That said, I know little to nothing about this stuff.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    Wiki lists the 850 band as having user equipment transmit frequencies of 824 to 849 which matches 824.2-848.8 (rounded). See: UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    That said, I know little to nothing about this stuff.
    Ha, I am in the same boat circadia. I really know nothing about any of this, but I am learning as I go. That is what I love about this forum. It is a great place to learn new things and get help from experienced knowledgeable users.
  13. #73  
    Agreed!
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    When I have time after work today I will look at the
    824.2 - 848.8 band.
    Maybe you have something here. Maybe not. Like you say, that part of the 800MHz block may just be for GSM. Hopefully someone else here might have more informnation to offer before I can look it up .

    Thanks to the Android hacks already in use to enable the 850 MHz UMTS band on other EU devices with this same chipset it is looking more and more likely we might be on to something, though I learned not to get too optimistic too early on while working on the Telcel Pre unlock a few years ago. Taking it all in as it comes our way.
    I have also learned to be very hesitant when it comes to things like this. Just because it has been done on a previous device doesn't necessarily mean it will be possible on a different device. But, we will just have to keep digging and get as much info as possible. There are some amazing webOS enthusiasts out there with technical expertise and if it is possible, I am sure the solution will be made available eventually.

    That is just one of the many things I love about webOS. It is one of the most open mobile platforms out there. If you can think of something you would like to do on webOS, there is almost always a way to do it.

    Hope we get more info soon!

    Still waiting to see if I am going to be able to get one of these devices. Sounds like I will be waiting until tomorrow. If I do end up getting one, expect an update on how reception and data speeds are in the Minneapolis/St.Paul, MN area. I'll keep you all posted.
  15. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #75  
    I'm just hoping that it's as simple as writing a new value to an NV_Item per my other thread. Unfortunately we don't have a doctor for the Pre3 and it would be easiest to ID a workaround if we had a doctor for both the EU and the US versions.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  16. akshunj's Avatar
    Posts
    379 Posts
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    Wiki lists the 850 band as having user equipment transmit frequencies of 824 to 849 which matches 824.2-848.8 (rounded). See: UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    That said, I know little to nothing about this stuff.
    I'm pretty sure the lower portion of the band (the freqs you listed) is used for one half of the full duplex connection and the higher half of the band is used for the other half.
  17. #77  
    Yep. Agreed. According to that same page, those frequencies apparently are just transmitting (meaning "up"?) whereas the receive ("down"?) frequencies are 869 to 894. So, if the CE device is capable of the lower range, does that mean that it can only transmit on 850? Or is it implied that the other range is in there too. I'm afraid without the doctor and or the FCC/CE confidential docs, it might be a while before we know.

    First step, as noted above: Gotta get the dern thing first! (At least I do.)
  18. #78  
    Has anyone tried a t-mobile sim card to see the speed of the 2100 mhz HSPA?
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

    George Orwell.
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by D0lphin View Post
    Has anyone tried a t-mobile sim card to see the speed of the 2100 mhz HSPA?
    Tmob divides their 3G and HSPA+ 1700 up and 2100 down so no way to test with just one freq band.

    AT+T 3G sends up and down in 1900 and also 850 MHz bands.Depend son where you are and what device you have because they send up and down HSPA+ only in the 850 MHz band. That's why 1900 MHz band allows 3G to function, but no HSPA+ availability.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 09/01/2011 at 12:31 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I'm just hoping that it's as simple as writing a new value to an NV_Item per my other thread. Unfortunately we don't have a doctor for the Pre3 and it would be easiest to ID a workaround if we had a doctor for both the EU and the US versions.
    Doubt a doctor for the US ATT Pre 3 will ever see the light of day. Eventually we should see a doctor for the EU Pre 3.
    That one doctor and the modem flasher being used by the Android community to enable the 850 spectrum on the Galaxy 9000 S should be all we need to put together what changes to make.
    Crossing my eyes, toes AND fingers.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions