Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but why would the 'voice call' quality be affected due to the lack of the 850 MHz HSPA+ band? If I am not mistaken, all 'Voice calls' are carried over the GSM network and the EU Pre 3 has full support for AT&T GSM bands. Thus, I do not understand the logic of why the missing 850MHz HSPA band would affect 'voice call' quality.
    Voice and data go over the same bands with both GSM and UMTS.
    The notion that your voice is on GSM and your data is on UMTS is incorrect.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    kbubk likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Voice and data go over the same bands with both GSM and UMTS.
    The notion that your voice is on GSM and your data is on UMTS is incorrect.
    Once again, pardon my ignorance, but how ould you get 3G data over the GSM bands? Also, I always thought, that it is due to the voice and 3G data being on different bands is what enabled them to function simultaneously. With EDGE/GPRS the data stops during a phone call, due to both being on the same band. I may be incorrect and I would appreciate it if you or someone lese could shed more light on this.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    You don't get 3G over GSM bands. Not sure how you got that from what I wrote.

With EDGE/GPRS data does not stop during a call.
    You are thinking of CDMA. I certainly surfed while on the speakerphone on my Treo 650 and Centro many times.

Here's the deal: GPRS is a subset of GSM that sends data packets simultaneous to voice.

UMTS is also called WCDMA or wideband CDMA and also sends voice and data simultaneously.

When you are connected to a tower you are connected on a single frequency band, not two, and all your packets go over this band. You can be on one of four GSM bands or one of five UMTS bands (850/900/1700/1900/2100) depending upon where in the world you are located.

So if you have a tri-band UMTS (900/1900/2100) Pre3 in the US you will likely often drop to GSM for voice (when no 1900 tower is close enough) and you will get good old GSM hiss and pop. When you have a 1900 MHz tower you will have a much cleaner, WCDMA call.

Many people, myself included, force "2G" modes (tells phone not to use UMTS) to save power when we know it will be some hours before we can recharge as GSM is less power-hungry. You can also force 3G if you'd rather only have clean calls and faster data.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    @Mize Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    When you are connected to a tower you are connected on a single frequency band, not two
    Voice calls are full duplex, so they are using two frequencies. I'm pretty sure the data connections are full duplex as well, which would be two frequencies.

edit: you said said single band, my bad...
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    @Mize Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    No problem. It wasn't that long ago I had to figure all that out too
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    Voice calls are full duplex, so they are using two frequencies. I'm pretty sure the data connections are full duplex as well, which would be two frequencies.

edit: you said said single band, my bad...
    Indeed, akshunj points out that these are frequency bands (ranges of frequencies) and that communication is "full duplex" meaning talking in both directions simultaneously.
    checking handtec right now
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I'd wait to read more results from our field tests. Remember the FruitPhone dropped calls issue ....... was linked to how the device handled switching from 1900 to 850 and visa versa for 3G.

Remember, these devices don't have 850 MHz available and 1900 MHz isn't deployed everywhere.

Don't rush just yet is all I am saying.

Hey TopTongueBarry,

My biggest question is, is the Pre 3 completely incapable of transmitting on the 850 MHz frequency or is this frequecy simply not active in the device. I know there have been other European mobile devices that did not have the 850 MHz frequency, but this frequency was actually accessible in the device with a bit of hacking.

Is the Pre 3 hardware technically capable of using the 850 MHz frequency?
    1 more question. Are you able to access the webOS app store? If so, are you able to download & install apps? Do they work?

I am currently on Sprint, would my Palm profile sync with the Pre 3 on AT&T's network?

I guess that was more than 1 question...
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Can you post speedtest.net results?
    Attn: Canadians

Here is a link with every cell tower location. Zoom in, click on a tower (of your carrier) it will tell you what frequency is available.

Canadian Cellular Towers Map
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticalman2 View Post
    Hey TopTongueBarry,

My biggest question is, is the Pre 3 completely incapable of transmitting on the 850 MHz frequency or is this frequecy simply not active in the device. I know there have been other European mobile devices that did not have the 850 MHz frequency, but this frequency was actually accessible in the device with a bit of hacking.

Is the Pre 3 hardware technically capable of using the 850 MHz frequency?
    If its a pre 3 manufactured with a comms board that handles 850 MHz for distribution in the USA then yes that model is technically capable of HSPA+ data on 850 MHz.
    I have never heard of hacking an EU comms or main board built to transmit receive, poll etc the EU bands getting hacked so it works on a different spectrum, ie North American 850.

I suppose it may be possible for someone who understands how to design and troubleshoot this type of circuitry to do this.. If you can share some documentation, that would be great. Right now, I'll continue to sit at the doubters table until I can see some documents You may want to PM rwhitby ask him if this is possible. If anyone would know , Rod would.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticalman2 View Post
    1 more question. Are you able to access the webOS app store? If so, are you able to download & install apps? Do they work?

I am currently on Sprint, would my Palm profile sync with the Pre 3 on AT&T's network?

I guess that was more than 1 question...
    The answers you seek are in the Impostah thread in the webos internals forum.

But in a nutshell; it is possible.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    If its a pre 3 manufactured with a comms board that handles 850 MHz for distribution in the USA then yes that model is technically capable of HSPA+ data on 850 MHz.
    I have never heard of hacking an EU comms or main board built to transmit receive, poll etc the EU bands getting hacked so it works on a different spectrum, ie North American 850.

I suppose it may be possible for someone who understands how to design and troubleshoot this type of circuitry to do this.. If you can share some documentation, that would be great. Right now, I'll continue to sit at the doubters table until I can see some documents You may want to PM rwhitby ask him if this is possible. If anyone would know , Rod would.

TTB
    LOL. At home RF, board-level hacking? Good luck!
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    I have received my Pre 3 UK today and am currently testing in Detroit MI. I work downtown and live in the suburbs.

My initial results are quite good. 3G in buildings have been fine. Comparing to my Pixi Plus, the Pre 3 has three bars where the pixi had full, but even with full bars with my Pixi Plus voice calls would crack, so perhaps the Pre 3 renders actual signal strength more accurately.

I will be testing the entire metro Detroit area in the next week and will share results later.
    sepherous likes this.
    Does MMS works in US for the Pre3?
  18.    #58  
    LOL. At home RF, board-level hacking? Good luck!
    Wouldn't even attempt it. Don't know where he came up with that one about hacking an EU device to work on NA spectrum. Don't think it's possible.

On the other hand finding some of the Pre 3's parts that were being made for the NA version and getting the comms boards before they crush, burn and recycle them into other circuit boards - Now that'd be something I'm interested in running across..
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Wouldn't even attempt it. Don't know where he came up with that one about hacking an EU device to work on NA spectrum. Don't think it's possible.

On the other hand finding some of the Pre 3's parts that were being made for the NA version and getting the comms boards before they crush, burn and recycle them into other circuit boards - Now that'd be something I'm interested in running across..
    Since I just ordered a UK Pre3 (and hope it will go through) I'm keenly interested in this option as well...from the Veer teardown it doesn't appear it would have a compatible radio.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Just found that some phones (these were samsung) have a firmware-selection for UMTS bands...hmmm...wouldn't that be nice?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast