Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 196
Like Tree23Likes
  1. #21  
    can a veer comm go into a pre3 ? Id rather have a bigger phone.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    When I stated 3G coverage is not bad, I was referring to the area near my home. I can already see differences between the two devices.

    The Veer has 850 MHz and can be pegged with 5 bars of HSPA+ signal at the same time I'll look at the EU Pre 3 with a 2 1/2 bar 3G connection. This all makes sense due to differences in these two frequency spectrums. I also found out today that it takes twice as many cell sites at 1900 MHz to cover the same swath of area as it takes to cover with 850 MHz.

    So far since I live in Orange County , south of LA and am in a highly populated area with dense coverage, I have not dropped a call , but I've been asked to repeat myself several times because callers tell me my voice was cutting in and out on them.
    Pardon my ignorance, but why would the 'voice call' quality be affected due to the lack of the 850 MHz HSPA+ band? If I am not mistaken, all 'Voice calls' are carried over the GSM network and the EU Pre 3 has full support for AT&T GSM bands. Thus, I do not understand the logic of why the missing 850MHz HSPA band would affect 'voice call' quality.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but why would the 'voice call' quality be affected due to the lack of the 850 MHz HSPA+ band? If I am not mistaken, all 'Voice calls' are carried over the GSM network and the EU Pre 3 has full support for AT&T GSM bands. Thus, I do not understand the logic of why the missing 850MHz HSPA band would affect 'voice call' quality.
    I'm not certain how one set of radio bands can impact another set of radio bands. I took information I read on the issue and might have reworded it incorrectly in my explanation. Considering the radio bands and commiunications are all handled by a single communications board on most of these devices, its conceivable a problem with one band could impact another band controlled by the same board.
    I thnk a couple valid analogies might look similar to these. Remember how your old Windows 98 Operating system and PC hardware responded whenever a single application window hung up or froze? How about your Windows 2000 server blue screening when two serial ports grabbed the same IRQ during boot?

    These are just guesses,
    I will remove the reference you have pointed out to me.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    can a veer comm go into a pre3 ? Id rather have a bigger phone.
    You're jokiing right.
    It's silly time again.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    This scares me more than anything. I would be far less concerned with spotty 3G coverage than having to deal with poor voice quality. Yikes--this could be a hardware issue too and with no support in the US for a UK designed device this could be bad. I really hope these issues for you were isolated and they don't repeat themselves again, or at least with any frequency...good luck!
    Don't be scared, read my review of day one for the EU Pre 3 in the US coming up. I think all is well. Everyone gets those cellular calls with the caller's voice dropping in and out sometimes. Just another hazard of cutting the cord. IMHO.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 08/23/2011 at 04:21 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    rinodattilo likes this.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    I agree Dsol,

    I was going to try and use the pre 3 with ATT but I think this thread might have scared me off. HP Veer here I come!
    Don't be scared off just yet. I may have been premature in posting that information. the device rocks so far. As long as you live in a metropoliton area and can do without the HSPA+ I think you will be happy!

    TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 08/23/2011 at 04:21 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  7. #27  
    awesome i just emailed a uk retailer about shipping to the us and if they planned to drop the price on the phone at all. Btw since you work for att is there anyway this can be used with a prepaid plan from att?
  8.    #28  
    Day 1 review - Using the SIM Free EU Pre 3 on AT&T in USA
    For webOS lovers, the EU Pre 3 with its Tri-Band UMTS, and Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE radio inside is an absolute must have device whether you own a HP Touchpad or not. If you do have a Touchpad then trust me now please, stop reading and pick up your current telephone (or any phone that happens to be nearby), get online, or do whatever you need to do right this instant to secure yourself one of these baby's from across the pond before they're all gone. It's a no brainer. 3g works well enough and I couldn't find one reason not to use this device even with its single band non-robust 1900 MHz UMTS radio doing all the heavy lifting of north american 3G data services. If you act fast enough you'll be able to score one of these magnificent devices for a paltry $75 USD.

    No HSPA+
    To be honest, the first thing I realized after signing on to my Palm profile, the same profile I've used previously with a retail AT&T Veer 4G device, and for two days with an AT&T Pre 3 prototype we passed around the office for a couple days last month doing carrier testing was the lack of HSPA+ (faux 4G). This discovery was a complete surprise to me as I expected whatever 3G UMTS features that were available from AT&T to be available on both the 850 and the 1900 MHz bands. I've written enough about this discovery in my earlier posts so I don't need to elaborate here. In short, on AT&T's network, HSPA+ is only available for devices that can access UMTS services in the 850 MHz spectrum. Therefore, you can immediately cross that one off your list of must haves because you won't be able to have it.

    3G UMTS on 1900 MHz and Outdoor reception
    - After using my EU Pre3 device on AT&T's 1900 MHz 3G band all day long, I can honestly say that 3G connectivity is acceptable at its worst. Actually, it worked just fine for me. HSPA+ doesn't need to be a must have feature. 3G signal strength on the 1900 MHz band is stable at almost every location I tested and monitored for signal strength and/or made phone calls. The Veer device with both 1900 Mhz and 850 Mhz for 3G, Edge, and HSPA + I carried with us to use for comparison purposes was consistently reporting one more bar of coverage than EU Pre 3
    - The Pre 3 dropped down to Edge data during calls twice this afternoon. Both times the geography (hilly terrain) had to be the factor, but the EU Pre 3 managed to switch back and forth between Edge and 3G without even a hiccup to report.
    - I live in a metropoliton area, a suburb of Los Angeles. There shouldn't be bandwidth issues near the big cities where coverages overlap and I can vouch that's the case near the Los Angeles / Orange County California metropoliton area. I haven't found many gaps in 3G coverage to report. It's more likely there will be gaps in coverage found in rural areas where there's also a much lower population density.

    3G UMTS on 1900 MHz and Indoor reception
    - Fairly decent and stable in metropoliton areas. - Problem is overblown on the web. I consistently had 4 bars of 3G while in my office this afternoon.
    - If there's any location you regularly frequent that suffers through reception issues, try to assist your carrier by identifying dead spots by lat/long and report them - you'll also need to note the signal strength then reference it when you call to AT&T Mobility technical support to report the dead areas.
    - Use WiFi for data when at home, but if you still don't have a stable 3G signal on the Pre 3 indoors and you desire it (I sure would) you may want to consider purchasing a AT&T Microcell device, a femtocell device providing round the clock 3G and HSPA+ coverage to your family inside your home as needed.
    - If you already know you're in a fringe reception araa before getting the EU Pre 3, don't count on things getting any better on their own. Remember, you're most likely going from a dual band UMTS radio to a device with only one band to work with. On the other hand, if your house happens to sit near or under an AT&T cell tower, you'll be fine with adequate 3G signal and no need to consider a femtocell.
    - You could always swear you're done with mobile telecomunnications forever.

    Voice call quality -
    - Consistently good - Twice was asked to repeat what I had just said by callers due to signal dropping in and out, however that's a common complaint heard from customers of all mobile carriers.

    TTS, Voice and SMS sharing via bluetooth with the TP
    - All of this works as designed, FINALLY!

    Hardware issues
    - Every one of my Palm Touchstone chargers has trouble supporting the weight of the EU Pre 3, especially if its the Touchstone mounted on the dashboard of my car. Take the speed bumps too fast, and you'll watch in horror as your Pre 3 flies off the daashboard mounted Touchstone heading for either the floorboard or your freshly brewed hot cup of coffee. I think you get the point.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    brdl04, geekaren and Unit 4 like this.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0t03speed View Post
    awesome i just emailed a uk retailer about shipping to the us and if they planned to drop the price on the phone at all. Btw since you work for att is there anyway this can be used with a prepaid plan from att?
    Yes, theres a whole thread for that too. Search go phone
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  10. #30  
    Moderators. can we sticky this, please, to make it easy to find?
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  11. brdl04's Avatar
    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Day 1 review - Using the SIM Free EU Pre 3 on AT&T in USA
    For webOS lovers, the EU Pre 3 with its Tri-Band UMTS, and Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE radio inside is an absolute must have device whether you own a HP Touchpad or not. If you do have a Touchpad then trust me now please, stop reading and pick up your current telephone (or any phone that happens to be nearby), get online, or do whatever you need to do right this instant to secure yourself one of these baby's from across the pond before they're all gone. It's a no brainer. 3g works well enough and I couldn't find one reason not to use this device even with its single band non-robust 1900 MHz UMTS radio doing all the heavy lifting of north american 3G data services. If you act fast enough you'll be able to score one of these magnificent devices for a paltry $75 USD.

    No HSPA+
    To be honest, the first thing I realized after signing on to my Palm profile, the same profile I've used previously with a retail AT&T Veer 4G device, and for two days with an AT&T Pre 3 prototype we passed around the office for a couple days last month doing carrier testing was the lack of HSPA+ (faux 4G). This discovery was a complete surprise to me as I expected whatever 3G UMTS features that were available from AT&T to be available on both the 850 and the 1900 MHz bands. I've written enough about this discovery in my earlier posts so I don't need to elaborate here. In short, on AT&T's network, HSPA+ is only available for devices that can access UMTS services in the 850 MHz spectrum. Therefore, you can immediately cross that one off your list of must haves because you won't be able to have it.

    3G UMTS on 1900 MHz and Outdoor reception
    - After using my EU Pre3 device on AT&T's 1900 MHz 3G band all day long, I can honestly say that 3G connectivity is acceptable at its worst. Actually, it worked just fine for me. HSPA+ doesn't need to be a must have feature. 3G signal strength on the 1900 MHz band is stable at almost every location I tested and monitored for signal strength and/or made phone calls. The Veer device with both 1900 Mhz and 850 Mhz for 3G, Edge, and HSPA + I carried with us to use for comparison purposes was consistently reporting one more bar of coverage than EU Pre 3
    - The Pre 3 dropped down to Edge data during calls twice this afternoon. Both times the geography (hilly terrain) had to be the factor, but the EU Pre 3 managed to switch back and forth between Edge and 3G without even a hiccup to report.
    - I live in a metropoliton area, a suburb of Los Angeles. There shouldn't be bandwidth issues near the big cities where coverages overlap and I can vouch that's the case near the Los Angeles / Orange County California metropoliton area. I haven't found many gaps in 3G coverage to report. It's more likely there will be gaps in coverage found in rural areas where there's also a much lower population density.

    3G UMTS on 1900 MHz and Indoor reception
    - Fairly decent and stable in metropoliton areas. - Problem is overblown on the web. I consistently had 4 bars of 3G while in my office this afternoon.
    - If there's any location you regularly frequent that suffers through reception issues, try to assist your carrier by identifying dead spots by lat/long and report them - you'll also need to note the signal strength then reference it when you call to AT&T Mobility technical support to report the dead areas.
    - Use WiFi for data when at home, but if you still don't have a stable 3G signal on the Pre 3 indoors and you desire it (I sure would) you may want to consider purchasing a AT&T Microcell device, a femtocell device providing round the clock 3G and HSPA+ coverage to your family inside your home as needed.
    - If you already know you're in a fringe reception araa before getting the EU Pre 3, don't count on things getting any better on their own. Remember, you're most likely going from a dual band UMTS radio to a device with only one band to work with. On the other hand, if your house happens to sit near or under an AT&T cell tower, you'll be fine with adequate 3G signal and no need to consider a femtocell.
    - You could always swear you're done with mobile telecomunnications forever.

    Voice call quality -
    - Consistently good - Twice was asked to repeat what I had just said by callers due to signal dropping in and out, however that's a common complaint heard from customers of all mobile carriers.

    TTS, Voice and SMS sharing via bluetooth with the TP
    - All of this works as designed, FINALLY!

    Hardware issues
    - Every one of my Palm Touchstone chargers has trouble supporting the weight of the EU Pre 3, especially if its the Touchstone mounted on the dashboard of my car. Take the speed bumps too fast, and you'll watch in horror as your Pre 3 flies off the daashboard mounted Touchstone heading for either the floorboard or your freshly brewed hot cup of coffee. I think you get the point.
    Great work Barry,

    But you may have forgotten one very big +...... $15 unlimited data with Att....because the phone is not in their system you can use the $15 non smartphone plan and tether your touchpad.
  12. #32  
    Barry: Great review and thank you for the insight! First things first, I live about 45 minutes from Cleveland, Ohio, 25 minutes from Akron and Youngstown. You mentioned about living in a metropolitan area and it working just fine. In your expert opinion, do you think that I will have the same success in a rural setting?

    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    If you act fast enough you'll be able to score one of these magnificent devices for a paltry $75 USD.
    Where can the Pre3 be found for just $75's? Am I looking in the wrong places?
    Proud owner of a TouchPad, a Pre3 and a Veer!
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    Great work Barry,

    But you may have forgotten one very big +...... $15 unlimited data with Att....because the phone is not in their system you can use the $15 non smartphone plan and tether your touchpad.
    I do like my job, and am thankful I don't need to worry about whether or not my paycheck is going to clear or not each month (although wouldn't it be a lot of fun to play baseball for the Dodgers!).

    I purposfully left that tidbit out figuring you or some other bright P|C member would be happy to share the wealth.

    Thanks,
    Barry

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  14. brdl04's Avatar
    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I do like my job, and am thankful I don't need to worry about whether or not my paycheck is going to clear or not each month (although wouldn't it be a lot of fun to play baseball for the Dodgers!).

    I purposfully left that tidbit out figuring you or some other bright P|C member would be happy to share the wealth.

    Thanks,
    Barry

    Good point.

    For all reading,

    This idea is in theory only and does not reflect the views of Barry or his employer.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by k7brown View Post
    Barry: Great review and thank you for the insight! First things first, I live about 45 minutes from Cleveland, Ohio, 25 minutes from Akron and Youngstown. You mentioned about living in a metropolitan area and it working just fine. In your expert opinion, do you think that I will have the same success in a rural setting?

    Depends on what bands are deployed in your area. There's a map for that .
    See this post for more details and look up your specific area. Then by using the color codes and the descriptions I offer, you may be able to figure out how well your area is blanksted by 1900 MHz

    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post3088058

    Where can the Pre3 be found for just $75's? Am I looking in the wrong places?
    UK Fire Sale on Pre 3's scheduled to begin later today or tomorrow.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  16. rhp525i's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    #36  
    I am new to this forum, but thanks for your informative review of pre 3 in US. I am in upstate New York and wonder if it is worth getting the EU pre 3. Since you are an Att employee, I suppose you could answer my question best.

    Can I swap out my microsim from IPhone 4 via microsim adapter and still use it for the pre 3. Is it worth it since I still have almost a year left on contract?
  17. #37  
    Excellent thread. I really wanted a Pre3. I have been looking at the Atrix as an alternative. Will wait a week or 2 to see how things shake out.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by rhp777 View Post
    I am new to this forum, but thanks for your informative review of pre 3 in US. I am in upstate New York and wonder if it is worth getting the EU pre 3. Since you are an Att employee, I suppose you could answer my question best.

    Can I swap out my microsim from IPhone 4 via microsim adapter and still use it for the pre 3. Is it worth it since I still have almost a year left on contract?
    Not my area of specialty, sorry.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  19. rhp525i's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Not my area of specialty, sorry.
    Thanks anyway. Will have to some more digging.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    UK Fire Sale on Pre 3's scheduled to begin later today or tomorrow.
    I believe the UK firesale will bring the price down to 100 Pounds, or about $165. I sure hope it's down to $75. I'm planning on getting refunded from Handtec.

    Looks like you will be too.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions