Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
Like Tree2Likes
  1. methods's Avatar
    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
       #1  
    From PhoneDog.com

    Should Verizon take a chance and release the HP Pre 3 anyway?

    By now, youíve heard what HP has done with webOS and the hardware that runs the mobile OS. And by now, weíve heard from just about everyone how HP probably made one of the worst moves in the companyís history. Truthfully, it canít be said enough, because itís true. webOS is one of the most unique and interesting operating systems out there and the simple fact that HP didnít have the drive or desire to follow through with the mobile OS is disheartening to say the least. But, while the hardware has been discontinued, there does still seem to be some hope out there for the OS itself, in that there are still rumors and talk about HP licensing webOS out to some other manufacturer. With that in mind, thinking that the OS might not be all that dead quite yet, should Verizon still consider launching the Pre3?

    Itís been a long time since we heard anything about the Pre3 launching with Verizon branding. We all know that itís been way longer than ďthe coming months,Ē and even before the expiration of the webOS-based hardware by HP, some people probably already assumed the device wasnít coming to Big Red anyway. But, the handset is probably still out there, and itís probably still sitting in a warehouse somewhere, just waiting to see the light of day. And with talk that webOS may live on in some fashion or another, would it be possible for those handsets to actually ever launch?

    The conversation on webOS is bleak, thereís no escaping that. HP has, for all intents and purposes, sounded the death knoll for the OS that Palm built and loved, but letís try and think about something positive, even if it does seem remarkably far-fetched. Namely, the release of the Pre3 on Verizonís network. Why? Because while it may not have been as obvious as some would like, thereís obviously a following to webOS. There are obviously plenty of people out there who didnít want the OS to die. On that same side of the coin, there are probably still plenty of people out there who still wanted to get their hands on the Pre3 and test out the new hardware, with the most updated version of webOS for smartphones. Those people are still out there, but now they donít have much to look forward to.

    That could change if Verizon were to launch the improved handset. Right now, the attention on webOS has never really been higher, so by launching the handset, the results could work positively two-fold. First, it shows that HP hasnít completely given up on the mobile OS, even if we know that they wonít be making any new hardware in the future. It shows that the company isnít leaving those who had faith in HP out in the cold, at least not entirely. Sure, theyíll be getting the boot to the cold in no time, but at least right now it wonít look as bad. And second, it shows that HP is really committed to making something happen with the OS itself. Why? Because if they release the Pre3 (and letís not forget that 64GB TouchPad, shall we?), then it means that they still plan, one way or another, of keeping up with the software and not letting it flat-line completely.

    Then again, it could very well not mean that at all. Thereís a small, very small chance that HP does still slip the Pre3 out into the States on a specific carrier (even if it doesnít look like AT&T will be that carrier), but that may not mean that HP cares about updating the software in the future, or supporting it at all. After they release the hardware and people buy it, future support isnít all that essential, is it? Customer retention doesnít seem to be a high priority for HP at this point in time, anyway.

    This is just cloud talk, or hopeful thinking. Wishing, even. But, Iím okay with that. The Pre3 was actually an enticing device, especially with its interconnectedness with the TouchPad. But, we may never get a chance to see the device on the market, and thatís unfortunate on so many levels. Do you think HP should still release the Pre3, or should HP just drop off the face of the map already? Let me know what you think should happen to the Pre3 in the comments below.


    I say Yes!! I want one even for full price
    Last edited by methods; 08/22/2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: added paragraph breaks
  2. #2  
    I think the best hope you have is that HP firesales any ATT stock that they might have built up as unlocked GSM phones directly on their website, woot or ebay.

    I do not think you will see them on Verizon. Öor Sprint.

    -Suntan
  3. Greyfish7's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    #3  
    I vote yes. not that my vote counts. but my upgrade is at the end of sept on vzw and my preplus has finally started to fail on me. gonna actually need a replacement. and I won't use my upgrade pricing to get a pre2, not with webos in limbo. a pre 3? larger screen? YES. pre2 -more or less what my OCed preplus is? no.
  4. #4  
    Well, I, ME, PERSONALLY would love to see that.

    Verizon, on the other hand, is highly unlikely to do any such thing. If HP could not get them to take the '3 on PRIOR to killing line, what the heck would they do it now?

    A more interesting possibility, is would HP be able to ditch/dump Verizon-compatible Pre3 stocks (assuming they had CDMA phone already manufactured), or would that be legally/technically impossible?

    Anyone?

    russ
  5. Tikkanen's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #5  
    One would still need for Verizon to activate the phone (ie: add the unlisted ESN to their system), which they and Sprint won't do.
  6. #6  
    If HP was gonna kill off all devices, at least do it Nokia style. Release one last device in the works (Meego N9) and then kill it. At least give the loyal fans something to live off by.
  7. #7  
    Seeing how people went through dozens of Pre's, how would VZW handle replacements or refurbs if availability is not there? It's not as if Palm is going to be making anymore units onwards. I'm not confident that the slider isn't going to konk out like the previous models e.t.c...

    And lastly why waste money on a dead/dying platform when Android and iOS is reaping for them good benefits.
    What will Tue Pre 3 bring to their financial bottom line? It definitely won't be a hoard of customers like Android and iOS would.

    Sent from my Nexus S 4G
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
    One would still need for Verizon to activate the phone (ie: add the unlisted ESN to their system), which they and Sprint won't do.
    Well, this is preceisely the essence of my question.

    Can HP produce phones with (pre-allocated?) ESN's? If so, you would just get Verizon to activate the new ESN (like I did with my Pre2). So, do you think HP already had blocks of ESNs assigned from Verizon (if that's how it works)?

    ???

    russ
  9. #9  
    Rumor has it the pre3 had some technical issues that needed fixing for the vZw network. And remember it was not on verizon's roadmap for devices after september. If at all it was coming to verizon it probably was coming out in the winter time. With hp no longer making devices I doubt they care to fix any technical issues with the CDMA pre3. It will not therefore come out on verizon. Let's hope samsung or htc picks up the slack for future webos phones
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Rumor has it the pre3 had some technical issues that needed fixing for the vZw network. And remember it was not on verizon's roadmap for devices after september. If at all it was coming to verizon it probably was coming out in the winter time. With hp no longer making devices I doubt they care to fix any technical issues with the CDMA pre3. It will not therefore come out on verizon. Let's hope samsung or htc picks up the slack for future webos phones
    Yeup - more realistically, this is how I see it.

    +1 Fingers, toes and other dangly bits crossed to get Samsung/HTC to pick up WebOS and run with it!
  11. #11  
    VZW could look at the massive craze surrounding the TP firesale as evidence that people will still buy WebOS devices...for the right price. Not sure what that price would be for the Pre 3. Certainly not over $100 though. If they put it out there at $50 w/ contract, I think it'd sell well. If they were going to do it, then I'd think they'd need to do it soon while there's still something of a buzz surrounding WebOS. They could stand to pick up a lot of suscribers if they were the only one selling the device.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    VZW could look at the massive craze surrounding the TP firesale as evidence that people will still buy WebOS devices...for the right price. Not sure what that price would be for the Pre 3. Certainly not over $100 though. If they put it out there at $50 w/ contract, I think it'd sell well. If they were going to do it, then I'd think they'd need to do it soon while there's still something of a buzz surrounding WebOS. They could stand to pick up a lot of suscribers if they were the only one selling the device.
    As a company that has to perform well (well, as best they can, anyway) when it comes to customer service, it is probably a still-born idea to even CONSIDER selling/promoting hardware that has no manufafacturer support.

    Come to think of it, Verizon's (and all carriers) tightening up of upgrade rules and schedules makes it even more unlikely.

    The only way I see us getting our mits on Pre3's is if HP sells them direct, on Amazon, etc... no contracts or anything. And I have no idea (see posts above) if that is technically or legally possible.

    russ
  13. lactose's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    #13  
    I was thinking, if there already are a bunch of CDMA Pre 3s in the pipe, HP should just make a killer offer to Verizon and Sprint that they can't refuse. Software updates, we barely get them now, so not much difference. Phone replacement ? They would just have to offer the customer another brand of phone, which occasionally happens now anyway.

    My Pre Plus is almost unusable now, I need to do something. I would just like to know if I should wait more, or bite the bullet and get something on contract now. I will probably have to pickup a craigs list phone this week to keep a working phone.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    As a company that has to perform well (well, as best they can, anyway) when it comes to customer service, it is probably a still-born idea to even CONSIDER selling/promoting hardware that has no manufafacturer support.

    Come to think of it, Verizon's (and all carriers) tightening up of upgrade rules and schedules makes it even more unlikely.

    The only way I see us getting our mits on Pre3's is if HP sells them direct, on Amazon, etc... no contracts or anything. And I have no idea (see posts above) if that is technically or legally possible.

    russ
    To be fair, HP has insisted they will maintain support for WebOS.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    To be fair, HP has insisted they will maintain support for WebOS.
    To be fair, they also insisted that I'd have Flash support on my Sprint Palm Pre "in the coming months" after I bought it in Summer of 2009, and that I'd also be able to upgrade to WebOS 2.0 "shortly".

    I trust HP's promises about as far as I can comfortably spit a rat.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    To be fair, they also insisted that I'd have Flash support on my Sprint Palm Pre "in the coming months" after I bought it in Summer of 2009, and that I'd also be able to upgrade to WebOS 2.0 "shortly".

    I trust HP's promises about as far as I can comfortably spit a rat.
    Yes, HP has been poor at getting updates out, but it can't be said with any certainty that there will no longer be support for WebOS.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    To be fair, HP has insisted they will maintain support for WebOS.
    Hi again, guys

    I don't think you can separate the hardware from the O/S that simply. Sure HP has said they will continue to support WebOS...

    ... How many warranty/insurance swaps have you guys done on your Pre hardware?

    I went through 5 (yes, FIVE) Pre+'es.
    Then I bought a Pre2 a few weeks ago on eBay (yeup - feel like an ***** now!), and while it is a great improvment, it is currently driving me nuts - loose slider, went crazy after 2.1 OTA update, etc, etc, etc.

    Who will support this kind of cwap if Verizon sells a non-supported device?

    russ
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by lactose View Post
    I was thinking, if there already are a bunch of CDMA Pre 3s in the pipe, HP should just make a killer offer to Verizon and Sprint that they can't refuse. Software updates, we barely get them now, so not much difference. Phone replacement ? They would just have to offer the customer another brand of phone, which occasionally happens now anyway.

    My Pre Plus is almost unusable now, I need to do something. I would just like to know if I should wait more, or bite the bullet and get something on contract now. I will probably have to pickup a craigs list phone this week to keep a working phone.
    The Pre 3 is not going to be launched on Verizon or on any other US carrier. If you really want one, you could buy it from Europe and use it on AT&T.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    Hi again, guys

    I don't think you can separate the hardware from the O/S that simply. Sure HP has said they will continue to support WebOS...

    ... How many warranty/insurance swaps have you guys done on your Pre hardware?

    I went through 5 (yes, FIVE) Pre+'es.
    Then I bought a Pre2 a few weeks ago on eBay (yeup - feel like an ***** now!), and while it is a great improvment, it is currently driving me nuts - loose slider, went crazy after 2.1 OTA update, etc, etc, etc.

    Who will support this kind of cwap if Verizon sells a non-supported device?

    russ
    I had to exchange 1 Pre Plus. My Pre 2 has been solid as a rock, and I haven't been that gentle with. Build quality was significantly improved from the Pre Plus to the Pre 2. In any event, Verizon could do what they normally do when the phone you have is no longer available, simply exchange for a comparable device.
    11B1P likes this.
  20. #20  
    Im extremely sad to hear of this. When i got my pre plus I love it, and looked forward to a software update and flash that never arrived. My waiting switched to the pre 3 that i anxiously awaited and now not sure i am ever going to get. I am pretty disappointed in the waiting game that we have all been waiting and then we are all thrown to the curb. It really has reduced my faith in the company and I may have to suck it up and go to Android.. which I not wanting to do. I would think that they could end up releasing what has already passed FCC, yet knowing that updates and new software may not ever come about for it not sure its even worth it to release it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions