Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 13 5358596061626364 LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1263
Like Tree68Likes
    I wish I had AT&T, I refuse to pay more than $400 (and I would still have to think) for a Verizon Pre 3 but unfortunately it doesn't look like that is going to happen. There is only a few up right now on eBay. The lowest I saw it go for is $425. I have my Pre 2 now and I like it a lot, its hard to spend that much money on something with no future. No matter how much I love webOS I just cant make that kind of investment.
    I got one for $230 (UK version, not quad-band though) on Amazon a month ago. Wish I had been paying more attention to the quad-band AT&T version vs. the tri-band UK version at the time, but oh well!
    Last edited by jason_mc99; 11/24/2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: (oops, $230 not $209)
    Quote Originally Posted by jason_mc99 View Post
    I got one for $230 (UK version, not quad-band though) on Amazon a month ago. Wish I had been paying more attention to the quad-band AT&T version vs. the tri-band UK version at the time, but oh well!
    I thought people prefered the unlocked uk one? Didn't know the uk verison was tri-band?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk
    According to HP UK, the UK Pre3 phone has GSM quad-band:

"...3G/UMTS information for Europe: GSM bands (850/900/1800/1900), UMTS bands (900/1900/2100), HSDPA up to 14.4Mbps..."

Source: (http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb2...n/page_en.html , or Manual Page223,
    PDF File: http://www.hpwebos.com/us/support/ha...UG_WR_enUK.pdf)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    GSM quad band, but UMTS/3G tri-band. All Pre 3 devices are the same in this respect, the only difference is the third UMTS band.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    GSM quad band, but UMTS/3G tri-band. All Pre 3 devices are the same in this respect, the only difference is the third UMTS band.

-- Rod
    Gotcha, thanks. Wonder if any UK people got the AT&T one and want to trade.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Ebuyer seem to have the QWERTY Unlocked model for 199.99 if anyone is interested

5 in stock...
    I've just got one from Ebuyer that'll arrive next week. I'm a Symbian user (N8) and have read so many good things about WebOS that I thought, for the sake of 199, I'd take a look. People are astonished that I'm moving from one dead platform (Symbian) to another (WebOS) but the devices don't just stop working - they still do what they do and, from what I've read about the Pre 3, it does it very well. Can't abide the ethos behind iAnything (although my wife does love her iPhone 4), I do like Android but I find the battery life appalling (I currently also have a Galaxy S II that I'm selling) and I find myself spending more time flashing ROM's and tweaking it that I do using it as a mobile device, and Windows Phone 7 is lovely, but I refuse to be locked into using a desktop control (in this case Zune) to get my phone to do what I want it to do. As someone wiser than me once said "Just because Apple do it doesn't make it right...". So I'm keen to see whether WebOS lives up to my expectations and whether all the very positive reviews are actually justified. And if it's all as good as i hope then the 5 Pre 3's in Ebuyer may soon become 4...
    There's not much point in worrying about the "future".

All we have to worry about is the next 1-3 years (depending on your personal cycle - mine is ca 2 years).
    Anything beyond that is irrelevant. We don't know what will be around and in what state in a few years.

The last couple of years saw the rapid rise of Android, the rise and fall and rise and fall of webos, the launch of WP7, the death of Windows Mobile and Symbian and an explosion of IPads from "can-it-succeed?" to utter-and-total-domination of the now fast expanding Tablet market.

So the real question boils down to: Is the Pre3 good for the next couple of years.
    The HP account servers won't shut down during that time. They hardly cost anything to keep running and shutting them down early would get HP into marketing and legal troubles. And with no updates coming out anyway (assuming for the moment the not-too-unlikely worst case scenario) we could probably get by without the servers if need be.

The likely lack of any further (official) platform support influences the price we are willing to pay. But other than that - if you don't miss any critical apps and the Pre3 otherwise appeals to you - don't worry about what will happen in 3+ years - it really doesn't matter much atm.
    Last edited by tholap; 12/04/2011 at 04:28 AM.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    RoverNole and gastr like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by keefsloan View Post
    I've just got one from Ebuyer that'll arrive next week. I'm a Symbian user (N8) and have read so many good things about WebOS that I thought, for the sake of £199, I'd take a look. People are astonished that I'm moving from one dead platform (Symbian) to another (WebOS) but the devices don't just stop working - they still do what they do and, from what I've read about the Pre 3, it does it very well. Can't abide the ethos behind iAnything (although my wife does love her iPhone 4), I do like Android but I find the battery life appalling (I currently also have a Galaxy S II that I'm selling) and I find myself spending more time flashing ROM's and tweaking it that I do using it as a mobile device, and Windows Phone 7 is lovely, but I refuse to be locked into using a desktop control (in this case Zune) to get my phone to do what I want it to do. As someone wiser than me once said "Just because Apple do it doesn't make it right...". So I'm keen to see whether WebOS lives up to my expectations and whether all the very positive reviews are actually justified. And if it's all as good as i hope then the 5 Pre 3's in Ebuyer may soon become 4...
    Hope you like it...you will find yourself tweaking the Pre3 now and then but probably not as much as an Android phone. In terms of raw usability appeal I am amazed at how popular Android is...as an OS I quite liked it because you can tweak and tweak until your heart is content (and for many things it is necessary) but 99% of people don't have a clue how to use 75% of their phone (nor do they care), and colleagues are always complaining about this or that on their Samsungs or HTCs simply because they haven't the knowledge or the time to work out what is wrong. This is where HP missed out big time...webOS could have been the number 2 but Palm didn't have the money or marketing sense to really push the Pre (and the hardware was lacking), and HP completely threw it away. I mean in the UK, I was reading about the Pre in Jan 2009, really wanted one but it didn't appear on US shelves until Jun and in the UK until Oct...which is ridiculous, they completely missed the boat and the only advertising I saw was an occasional half-hearted TV ad by O2 (the exclusive telco who got the Pre). On top of that, the rumour was that O2 only bid for the Pre to kill any potential competition (as O2 also had the iPhone exclusively at this time). Really annoys me that Palm could never see what O2 were doing; for about a year I would walk past the O2 shop and the Pre was relegated to a sad-looking little stand in the corner with the plastic dummy Pre hanging off a cord on the shelf. And then yeah, as I said, HP bottled it and killed the whole thing.

So...in conclusion, I really hope you like your Pre3, be sure to pick up Preware and patch it. You got a good deal for it, I paid £299 for mine!

Incidentally, as an N8 owner, have you tried Belle on it yet? I have on mine, i think it's great! It's a far from dead OS, I think Symbian is so polished it is more ideal for the average person than Android. Nice to see Nokia raising their game.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kanaka View Post
    Ebuyer seem to have the QWERTY Unlocked model for 199.99 if anyone is interested

5 in stock...
    Only 4 now !

Alan [just got one]
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I just picked up a Pre3 for AT&T this past week on Ebay for $200, free shipping. Came in yesterday, and I must say I love it. The simple usability of WebOS was what was always so attractive about the OS to me.

Funny thing was, I was switching from an iPhone 4 to the Pre3, so I needed the older style larger SIM card, so I popped in to the local AT&T store to get one. They fixed me right up, but the Pre3 caused quite a stir! I had a crowd in no time, some of them were the staffers - they'd never seen one, and all of them said about the same thing... 'Man, I wish we'd actually SOLD that phone!'
    gastr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
    I just picked up a Pre3 for AT&T this past week on Ebay for $200, free shipping. Came in yesterday, and I must say I love it. The simple usability of WebOS was what was always so attractive about the OS to me.

Funny thing was, I was switching from an iPhone 4 to the Pre3, so I needed the older style larger SIM card, so I popped in to the local AT&T store to get one. They fixed me right up, but the Pre3 caused quite a stir! I had a crowd in no time, some of them were the staffers - they'd never seen one, and all of them said about the same thing... 'Man, I wish we'd actually SOLD that phone!'
    Does the at&t pre 3 have any branding on it with at&t logos? If so where at?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHotshot View Post
    Back cover.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHotshot View Post

Back Cover, at the bottom, just above the back cover latch. Still has HP right in the middle like a normal Pre3.
    In stock form it also has a big AT&T blue deathstar "Think Different" logo that pops up in the final seconds of the luna boot. but that can be eliminated or replaced (mine now shows an old-school blue Palm logo), as can the physical logo on the back with gentle application of fingernails and pencil eraser.
    Quote Originally Posted by mark-dj View Post
    Hope you like it...you will find yourself tweaking the Pre3 now and then but probably not as much as an Android phone. In terms of raw usability appeal I am amazed at how popular Android is...as an OS I quite liked it because you can tweak and tweak until your heart is content (and for many things it is necessary) but 99% of people don't have a clue how to use 75% of their phone (nor do they care), and colleagues are always complaining about this or that on their Samsungs or HTCs simply because they haven't the knowledge or the time to work out what is wrong. This is where HP missed out big time...webOS could have been the number 2 but Palm didn't have the money or marketing sense to really push the Pre (and the hardware was lacking), and HP completely threw it away. I mean in the UK, I was reading about the Pre in Jan 2009, really wanted one but it didn't appear on US shelves until Jun and in the UK until Oct...which is ridiculous, they completely missed the boat and the only advertising I saw was an occasional half-hearted TV ad by O2 (the exclusive telco who got the Pre). On top of that, the rumour was that O2 only bid for the Pre to kill any potential competition (as O2 also had the iPhone exclusively at this time). Really annoys me that Palm could never see what O2 were doing; for about a year I would walk past the O2 shop and the Pre was relegated to a sad-looking little stand in the corner with the plastic dummy Pre hanging off a cord on the shelf. And then yeah, as I said, HP bottled it and killed the whole thing.

So...in conclusion, I really hope you like your Pre3, be sure to pick up Preware and patch it. You got a good deal for it, I paid 299 for mine!

Incidentally, as an N8 owner, have you tried Belle on it yet? I have on mine, i think it's great! It's a far from dead OS, I think Symbian is so polished it is more ideal for the average person than Android. Nice to see Nokia raising their game.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I remember walking into an O2 shop in London when I got my wifes iPhone 4 earlier this year and, while standing around waiting, playing with the Pixies / Pre 2's that they had in there. But you're right - they were basically there as also rans, with no promotions or other carrier marketing behind them. Oh well...

The one thing (well, two things actually) I think I am going to miss from the N8 (although I have no plans to sell it - and yes, it is running a custom version of Belle...) is navigation and the camera.

Nokia maps is fantastic. I've used it to drive from London to Cannes for a family holiday and it never, NEVER missed a beat. It got me to backwoods hotels and farmhouses on the way down there and, because it was running on an E71, I almost never needed the in-car charger that I had because the battery life was stellar. On the N8 it's my main navigation solution, and I've also used it for European business travel to Sardinia, Spain and other parts of Italy.

The other thing that the N8 is untouchable for is the camera. Being able to take PROPER and HIGH RESOLUTION pictures of my kids / days out etc. with a PROPER flash, and then being able to plug that into a TV via HDMI and show family etc. is incredibly valuable. I'm under no illusions that the Pre 3 is out of its league here but I have resigned myself to perhaps carrying two devices when out and about with the children, and just using the Pre 3 for general snaps (of which I don't take that many). If everything else lines up (e-mail / calendar / web browsing / calling and general usage) then I'll be happy to stick with the Pre 3 for my main device for a while.

Got to agree though that, with the introduction of Belle onto Symbian, reports of that OS's death have been greatly exaggerated. I'm excited about the prospect of having a top of the line WebOS device AND the worlds leading camera phone (with Belle installed) to play with over the coming weeks. I've even ordered a touchstone charger for my desk BEFORE receiving the phone. Want to have everything lined up and ready for when I get my new toy later this week!
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
    haha brilliant. brings a tear to the eye!
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    I've just got one from Ebuyer that'll arrive next week. I'm a Symbian user (N8) and have read so many good things about WebOS that I thought, for the sake of 199, I'd take a look. People are astonished that I'm moving from one dead platform (Symbian) to another (WebOS) but the devices don't just stop working - they still do what they do and, from what I've read about the Pre 3, it does it very well. Can't abide the ethos behind iAnything (although my wife does love her iPhone 4), I do like Android but I find the battery life appalling (I currently also have a Galaxy S II that I'm selling) and I find myself spending more time flashing ROM's and tweaking it that I do using it as a mobile device, and Windows Phone 7 is lovely, but I refuse to be locked into using a desktop control (in this case Zune) to get my phone to do what I want it to do. As someone wiser than me once said "Just because Apple do it doesn't make it right...". So I'm keen to see whether WebOS lives up to my expectations and whether all the very positive reviews are actually justified. And if it's all as good as i hope then the 5 Pre 3's in Ebuyer may soon become 4...
    i hope you like it. i think you've made a good decision beautiful phone. not without it's quirks and bugs, but what is? and there's precentral forums to help you
    I remember walking into an O2 shop in London when I got my wifes iPhone 4 earlier this year and, while standing around waiting, playing with the Pixies / Pre 2's that they had in there. But you're right - they were basically there as also rans, with no promotions or other carrier marketing behind them. Oh well...

The one thing (well, two things actually) I think I am going to miss from the N8 (although I have no plans to sell it - and yes, it is running a custom version of Belle...) is navigation and the camera.

Nokia maps is fantastic. I've used it to drive from London to Cannes for a family holiday and it never, NEVER missed a beat. It got me to backwoods hotels and farmhouses on the way down there and, because it was running on an E71, I almost never needed the in-car charger that I had because the battery life was stellar. On the N8 it's my main navigation solution, and I've also used it for European business travel to Sardinia, Spain and other parts of Italy.

The other thing that the N8 is untouchable for is the camera. Being able to take PROPER and HIGH RESOLUTION pictures of my kids / days out etc. with a PROPER flash, and then being able to plug that into a TV via HDMI and show family etc. is incredibly valuable. I'm under no illusions that the Pre 3 is out of its league here but I have resigned myself to perhaps carrying two devices when out and about with the children, and just using the Pre 3 for general snaps (of which I don't take that many). If everything else lines up (e-mail / calendar / web browsing / calling and general usage) then I'll be happy to stick with the Pre 3 for my main device for a while.

Got to agree though that, with the introduction of Belle onto Symbian, reports of that OS's death have been greatly exaggerated. I'm excited about the prospect of having a top of the line WebOS device AND the worlds leading camera phone (with Belle installed) to play with over the coming weeks. I've even ordered a touchstone charger for my desk BEFORE receiving the phone. Want to have everything lined up and ready for when I get my new toy later this week!
    Yeah I've done the same before, carry two phones. The N8 is smaller than most cameras anyway so it's no big deal. Got to say that the N8 is probably tougher than most cameras too, I dropped it once from chest height flat onto solid marble (the step to my flat) and there wasn't a scratch on it! The Pre 3 doesn't feel quite as tough but it feels like it should take a fair few knocks - the gorilla glass is naturally tough and the back is soft rubber so will absorb some of any impact you can throw at it anyway.

The camera on the Pre 3 is not too bad either, it's far better than any previous webOS model (though that isn't saying much). The touch to focus is quite neat.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it, it's a great phone, though not without its quirks...and it isn't a BlackBerry, iPhone or Android variant so be prepared for some questions from people! Personally I like that, the world and his dog has an iPhone now...it's such a boring handset these days.