Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334353641 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes
    Azerty keyboardnwill work as qwerty if you change the typing to english. There is no difference. They cannot rewrite the whole english keyboard to map with azerty and qwertz. I have a touchsmart tm2 from germany with qwertz but in english I write like normal, bu instead of Y I press Z and Y appears on the screen.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    JUST after I had made a decision not to buy the Pre 3 at full price if they have any stock left when they get down to me on the list, I get an email from PC World to say that my Touchpad order is being shipped. I had a similar email a few days ago and when I called them I was told they were out of stock and it was just an automated response - they offered to cancel the order but I asked to keep it running and I'd cancel it in a few weeks, just in case they came across any new stock. This time, however, I have a tracking number and when I called it seems more promising. This really throws a cat amongst the pigeons now!

Anyone waiting on a Touchpad order with PC World that hasn't yet been cancelled? I'd recommend leaving it going a little longer...
    Quote Originally Posted by Riyaah View Post
    Did anyone go for the AZERTY Pre 3 from expansys.fr? As mentioned earlier it's 200€ and they seem to ship worldwide.

I've just ordered one to Sweden. Hopefully it'll be possible to remap the keyboard to QWERTY with a patch, otherwise I think I'll live with the french way. I can try to convince myself it's to improve my AZERTY-skills, which is at least remotely useful since there's a chance I'll end up working in France...

Had just made up my mind to get a Pre 3 when the discontinuation-bomb hit, and I decided to wait a few days and see what happened. Big misstake.
    I can't seem to find a shipping option to the U.S. When I select 'Rest of World' I only see an option for South Africa and then for Australia.

If anyone reads French and can help that'd be much appreciated!
    Just placed an order in "expansys.fr"! Their Pre 3 is undoubtly french, as it's described with an AZERTY keyboard. Final price, with VAT and two day shipping is 212.54 euro.

I Will keep you posted with its progress. Let's see if they really have stock!
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I can't seem to find a shipping option to the U.S. When I select 'Rest of World' I only see an option for South Africa and then for Australia.

If anyone reads French and can help that'd be much appreciated!
    It seems they don't list all destinations in their shipping options, but you can enter any address. Here's how it worked out for me:

Sweden is not considered to be Eastern Europe, but that was the closest thing, so I choose it. About an hour later I got an email from the swedish branch of Expansys, in Swedish, that pointed out that it's an AZERTY-keyboard and that they had no information about imminent price drops "like in the US" [sic]. I also got an email asking for a photo of my ID to be uploaded on a special page, which I did.

I thanked them for the consideration and said that Pre 3's are pretty hard to come by so I didn't mind the AZERTY, to which they replied "Your right, better a Pre3 with AZERTY than none at all".

I would choose the South America option, put in your US address and hope that the order gets transferred to expansys USA just as mine apparently got transferred to expansys Sweden.
    Placed my order as well, let's hope I get it by next week. AZERTY here I come :P
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Azerty keyboardnwill work as qwerty if you change the typing to english. There is no difference. They cannot rewrite the whole english keyboard to map with azerty and qwertz. I have a touchsmart tm2 from germany with qwertz but in english I write like normal, bu instead of Y I press Z and Y appears on the screen.
    But is it possible to change input language on the Pre 3 without a patch?
    After a little discussion about how people are going to respond to their eurostore calls and specifically whether or not they will just get it anyway at the full price (which is what it seems the eurostore folks are asking)... This poll was made.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...eurostore.html
    There is no way in hell I'm paying the full price for a discontinued product. I'd gladly pay even £399 if they are willing to provide full technical support both in the device itself as well as the webOS. However, at this point in time where all aforementioned supports are dead in the water, it would be insane to pay for the full price. I cannot even say £299 is cheaper than buying iPhone4 or SGSII because of such an abandoned product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riyaah View Post
    But is it possible to change input language on the Pre 3 without a patch?
    No need to patch; just select a different kb layout/language (or should be ...).

But that does not change the printed labels on the physical keys on the unit. And 10-finger blind typing is beyond me on these tiny kb's
    Quote Originally Posted by idczar View Post
    There is no way in hell I'm paying the full price for a discontinued product. I'd gladly pay even £399 if they are willing to provide full technical support both in the device itself as well as the webOS. However, at this point in time where all aforementioned supports are dead in the water, it would be insane to pay for the full price. I cannot even say £299 is cheaper than buying iPhone4 or SGSII because of such an abandoned product.
    Who says support is dead? You have your warranty, and HP repeatedly mentioned they are dedicated to the OS. And the homebrew people will not stop even if HP does.

Worst case you have a non-repairable hardware problem, and they cannot provide a replacement unit. At that time they need to compensate you within the warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by grotevoet View Post
    No need to patch; just select a different kb layout/language (or should be ...).

But that does not change the printed labels on the physical keys on the unit. And 10-finger blind typing is beyond me on these tiny kb's
    Sounds good!

One reason I want a keyboard-slider so badly is that I still can type entire messages on my old Treo 650 without even looking at the screen or keyboard. Try that with a touchscreen.

And landscape kills one-handed operation, which is nice if you're on your bicycle a lot.
    Last edited by Riyaah; 08/26/2011 at 09:53 AM.
    Aw, this could be bad. Expansys lists my order as "Waiting for stock to arrive"...

However, it still says expected to ship within one day. Could be that the french branch is sending it to the swedish one in order to ship it out from there, or it could be that I'll have to get on eBay for an overpriced QWERTY Pre 3.
    I did a quick google search on expansys and found the reviews atrocious... anyone confident about this e-retailer?
    Quote Originally Posted by raven3k View Post
    Is that real? I mean, do we finally get the reduced price? Has somebody tried to purchase one?
    Doesn't seem to be a purchase option--only find a local retailer which doesn't really take you anywhere useful.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by perni4an4e View Post
    Is that real? I mean, do we finally get the reduced price? Has somebody tried to purchase one?
    You cant buy it yet, its just a listing.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    So, quick summary as of Friday at 16:15 GMT (please correct me if wrong):
    QWERTY is available basically nowhere. Maybe at mobilephonesdirect for 315 quid, but basically vanished everywhere else, right?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dansus View Post
    You cant buy it yet, its just a listing.
    I can't buy it YET, but the fact that they listed it does mean there's a possibility for price reduction, doesn't it?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Sounds about right.

One on Amazon for £299