Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jcohengd
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  1.    #1  
    Anyone notice how HP snuck the Pre 3 release in Europe before their announcement the very next day? Anyone also notice that the Pre 2 and Veer $50 "firesales" sold out in like a hot second? I find this very fishy as I would would assume that most WebOS devotees already had their hands on a Pre 2 or Veer. I was looking to get a Veer in addition to my Pre 2 but it sold out super fast. Like almost instantaneously. I wonder if this has something to do with the rumors about licensing?

It is possible that HTC or Samsung (etc.) might not want HP to dilute the market with WebOS devices. Maybe this is part of the negotiating deal that they are having with potential WebOS suitors. HTC and Samsung, while having great success (borat style), with the phone market have been struggling with the tablet market. Investing in the tablet market is far more risky now than the phone market is. The HTC Flyer/Evo View have NOT been selling well. The Galaxy Tab has had more success but not near to the level that Samsung wanted (or even to a level that could be deemed a success). I can see them NOT wanting to try WebOS on a tablet for quite some time. But WebOS on a smartphone? Well HTC and Samsung both know how to sell smartphones and sell them well. They could probably make that work.

So, the fire sale for the Touchpad gets people using WebOS and loving it. This will allow HP to simultaneously get rid of all of their Touchpads (they want out of hardware, right?) while not forcing the other manufacturers to make a tablet for a while. Also $100 dollar tablet sounds like a much better deal than a $50 phone off contract (though they are actually sort of equal deals based on MSRP). The "firesale" on the phones would drag; no one would be rushing to Best Buy (or even HPs website) to get a $50 Veer. Also, it is clear HP is willing to take a hit to get out of the hardware market ($100 touchpad, etc.) while keeping their seasoned WebOS user base (early adopter refunds) and their retailers happy (refunding retailers for WebOS purchases - they will be selling future devices that have WebOS. If WebOS is to be successful devices that have WebOS need to be successful). Especially if getting out of the hardware business means they can still get revenue coming in via licensing.

The Pre 3 comes into play as they simply could not get carriers to sign off releasing them in the US before their "deadline". It is a casualty of the licensing agreements that are in negotiation.

The Touchpad on the other hand, well that wasn't a casualty since HTC/Samsung don't have plans for a WebOS tablet for awhile. What the firesale was was a HUGE advertising campaign. Users will see how awesome the Touchpad/WebOS is, tell their friends and family, and then this would generate interest in a WebOS phone. But alas, all are "sold out". So they wait on the edge of their seats until HTC/Sammy release a new WebOS device and that sells like hotcakes. And it might come soon. HTC/Sammy already have the hardware; they just need to optimize WebOS to work on the hardware (something HP was just not interested in).

If the Pre 2 and Veer were still around, especially for cheap, people might be tempted to pick them up and not buy the HTC/Sammy WebOs phones. So HP takes the hit on the current stock of those phones. WebOS devotees would almost all pick up a Pre 3 on contract, so that would limit the early adopter user base of the HTC/Sammy WebOS phones. So HP killed the Pre 3.

However, the Pre 3 is like the martyr that will save WebOS. While the Pre 3 dies, WebOS will live on.

Thank you Pre 3.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    lots looking for some deep meaning to HP's choices, unfortunatly there is no plan, they ****ed up, plain and simple, everything after is damage control.
    65fastback likes this.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Anyone notice how HP snuck the Pre 3 release in Europe before their announcement the very next day?
    This is simply because nobody connected with WebOS knew what was coming, they found out with the rest of us when HP's senior management released a press release. They thought it was business as usual.
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    Modidying the WebOS source code to work with other SoC is/will be a pain in the ****. So, the future of our favorite OS is looking rather...dead.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d3ac0n View Post
    Modidying the WebOS source code to work with other SoC is/will be a pain in the ****. So, the future of our favorite OS is looking rather...dead.
    I don't know, all these phones and tablets run on the same ARM chips. The exact same guts of the toucpad power the evo3d. I don't understand why it would be so complicated.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by eallan View Post
    I don't know, all these phones and tablets run on the same ARM chips. The exact same guts of the toucpad power the evo3d. I don't understand why it would be so complicated.
    Exactly and isn't WebOS Linux based like Android?
    You know by that Logic they wouldn't be deving for android or WP7.

Also we still not sure how many units the tab has sold and alot of retailers have stated it was the fastes selling since the ipad.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    I was looking to get a Veer in addition to my Pre 2 but it sold out super fast.
    Not sure where you are - but Handtec are saying they will have some Veers in stock shortly. They are already selling the Pre 3.

I really love my Pre 3 - not sure any HTC or Sammy webOS devices would do touch-to-share?

But new devices will be critical. Phones are where the focus should be, tablets are longer term.
    ___
    My Palm PDA history: m130 > Tungsten T > Tungsten T|X > Pre 2 > HP Pre 3 (unlocked)
    My Mobile history: Nokia 5146 > 3110 > Samsung D900 > N73 > Nokia 6300 > Pre 2 (convergence!) > HP Pre 3
    My Tablet history: HP TouchPad 32Gb (model A - 1st gen)
  9.    #9  
    What's Handtec? And I meant a Pre 2 or Veer from HP Home and Office's firesale. ($50 off contract)
    I wish I had known about the Palm Pre 2 selling so cheap. Their sold out and have the "Check back later" signs. Everywhere else they're selling at normal price. Aw well. At least I got the HP TP!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    What's Handtec? And I meant a Pre 2 or Veer from HP Home and Office's firesale. ($50 off contract)
    It is a UK electronics retailer/website. Their price for the Pre3 is 249.16GBP excluding VAT or about 410USD.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    It is a UK electronics retailer/website. Their price for the Pre3 is 249.16GBP excluding VAT or about 410USD.
    Link?
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eallan View Post
    You don't need to understand why it would be so complicated.

You just have to know that Honeycomb is confined to tegra 2 chipset, Windows Mobile is confined to Qualcomm chipset. BB7 handsets were massively delayed when RIM changed from Marvell to Qualcomm chipset. It is that complicated, period.