Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    So I only have to wonder, now that AT&T cancelled their orders for the Pre3, how about HP try to cut their losses and offer the phones unlocked? Doesn't sound like it would be too much work eh?

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    So I only have to wonder, now that AT&T cancelled their orders for the Pre3, how about HP try to cut their losses and offer the phones unlocked? Doesn't sound like it would be too much work eh?

I doubt HP wants to go through the expense of unlocking and doctoring them to non-AT&T software. Net: If HP sells them, they'll be locked to AT&T. However, if enough hit the market, NextGen might make an unlock code available (~$50USD).
    Dan Donovan
    I don't care if they're locked to AT&T. I just want one.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    sooby77 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I don't care if they're locked to AT&T. I just want one.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Agreed, also for under $100 would be great too.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    I want one. Unlock using digital unlock should be possible. If HP firesale Pre3 , that would be awesome.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    I doubt HP wants to go through the expense of unlocking and doctoring them to non-AT&T software. Net: If HP sells them, they'll be locked to AT&T. However, if enough hit the market, NextGen might make an unlock code available (~$50USD).
    They don't need to doctor it themselves. All they need to do is in each of the boxes, slip in a piece of paper saying that this device will not be supported by AT&T and call a toll-free HP number to obtain an unlock code.

Then make a doctor available on their website if they need to wipe the AT&T software.

Heck I would even get one now if they made me sign something to say they won't provide any warranty, if that's what they're worried about.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI╔ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    sooby77 likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Would HP actually be able to do that? Sell an device that AT&T cancelled? Wouldn't that device be bundled with some sort of AT&T software? And with AT&T packaging?

Would HP actually be able to do that? Sell an device that AT&T cancelled? Wouldn't that device be bundled with some sort of AT&T software? And with AT&T packaging?

I see AT&T and T-Mobile discontinued phones showing up in discount computer liquidators all the time.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI╔ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I see AT&T and T-Mobile discontinued phones showing up in discount computer liquidators all the time.
    That's for phones that were officially released to begin with.

If the Samsung/HTC rumor posted in the TP thread is true, I'd guess that the Pre3 is not going to be released... it would compete with any WebOS smartphone they would make, and, I would think that they'd be moving along very quickly wth those designs.

IF, and this is a huge, HUGE "if"...

That rumor is true.

If it isn't, HP probably won't produce a single more Pre 3 unless they have a sudden change of policy, which is quite likely very unlikely.

They said more info/details about how they plan to put this whole ordeal into place within the next two weeks.

I can wait for my next smartphone decision until then.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    If the Samsung/HTC rumor posted in the TP thread is true, I'd guess that the Pre3 is not going to be released... it would compete with any WebOS smartphone they would make, and, I would think that they'd be moving along very quickly wth those designs.

IF, and this is a huge, HUGE "if"...

That rumor is true.

If it isn't, HP probably won't produce a single more Pre 3 unless they have a sudden change of policy, which is quite likely very unlikely.

They said more info/details about how they plan to put this whole ordeal into place within the next two weeks.

I can wait for my next smartphone decision until then.

I really doubt the current number of Pre3s they have in the warehouse would cause any serious harm to hardware that may or may not come later.

It's not like they ordered millions, did they?

Scale.
    Would HP actually be able to do that? Sell an device that AT&T cancelled? Wouldn't that device be bundled with some sort of AT&T software? And with AT&T packaging? [/url][/i]
    Yes but how hard would it be to flash the device to stock ROM and put it in a different box? Pretty sure the Pre 3 doesn't have any carrier labeling on it (maybe save for the mirror like the original Pres/Pre 2s).
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    Yes but how hard would it be to flash the device to stock ROM and put it in a different box? Pretty sure the Pre 3 doesn't have any carrier labeling on it (maybe save for the mirror like the original Pres/Pre 2s).
    Not hard, but labor intensive and expensive. As part of the contract, AT&T probably had a hefty cancellation fee, particularly this close to launch. It might sound crazy, but I'd pay $200 for a new Pre3 off contract.
    Dan Donovan
    sooby77 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I really doubt the current number of Pre3s they have in the warehouse would cause any serious harm to hardware that may or may not come later.

It's not like they ordered millions, did they?
    Toni;

I would syspect a million, at most, but, only in staged production orders.

This IS the question of the day though.

The AT&T launch was pending, if at most, a month a way, right?

Those US Pre 3's have got to go somewhere.. so, see my post above - any substantial # of them in the market could potentially cause a wrinkle in any new MFR partner's webOS phone's release, especially if they fond a way to retrofit it onto hardware they had in the late stages of desin or is ready for production (if they did a concept design as a part of their own due dillgence to see how WebOS would work on their own device).

At this point, we have to wait, per my post above.

That's the safest bet, IMO.

I personally want a Pre 3 above anything else available today - the only thing that would make it better is a 3G radio for T-Mobile USA.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Anyone else sign up for the "notify me" option on the HP Pre 3 website? I'm hoping we'll get some info from that.

Pre3 Smartphone | Business Mobile Phone | HP« | U.S.
    I'd buy one. My 18 month old ATT Pre+ is already on its last legs and I've got 5 months before qualifying for a low/now cost upgrade. A Pre3 would last me hopefully until some other manufacturer starts shipping new WebOS hardware. (Yes, I'm dreaming and holding on to any last bit of hope there is, no matter how much of an insane fantasy it might be.)
    As we speak the Pre's are being buried right next to the old copies of the atari ET game.
    remmy123 and cmgomes like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    Not hard, but labor intensive and expensive. As part of the contract, AT&T probably had a hefty cancellation fee, particularly this close to launch. It might sound crazy, but I'd pay $200 for a new Pre3 off contract.
    I would too. I want a VZW one badly. I am still holding on hope.
    I wonder if HP would even bother trying to sell those Pre 3s or just dump them. No one knows how many units they manufactured. I assume they number in the tens of thousands. It would be nice if they decided to sell them unlocked just to recoup some of their losses because I know a lot of us Pre fans would buy one. But HP seems like they're in a f*** this phase and won't even bother trying to sell them because they didn't manufacture millions like they did with the Touchpad. If they were willing to take that kind of loss on the Touchpad, they'll probably just dump whatever Pre 3s they don't sell in Europe and America will never see the phone released.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast