Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    That's not good business, and if they were in fact going to act like that, I predict a hearty shareholder reaction to it.

I suspect that the powers that be at Google and Microsoft realize all this, and will therefore NOT act in the irresponsible ways of spending billions without even so much as a clear financial goal to be attained that you describe.
    Good business or not, it doesn't matter. Irresponsible or not, it doesn't matter.

You have 4 mobile platforms that are controlled by their founders. It's a war of attrition that rational people don't want to get into --- and HP realized that now. Who is going to listen to shareholders first? It ain't these 4 companies. It is going to be HP that has to listen to their shareholders first.

The important point is that rational people don't want to get into this Mexican standoff in the first place. You have Steve Jobs the God, Bill Gates the Devil, the 2 Google kids who need adult supervision, and the RIM dynamic duo who would throw a hissy fit at a monent's notice. Then you have Steve Ballmer who literally would throw the chair at you. Would rational people want to get in the middle of this?
    Last edited by samab; 08/21/2011 at 07:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Uh...it's not about losing money. It's about a Federal judge telling your company that you can't import your product into the United States. HTC has already had a preliminary ruling against them in this fashion. If they lose, their product will be barred. Instead of going straight after Google, Apple is picking off the Android phone makers, one at a time. HTC is the closest to an Android product ban. No amount of money will make a ruling against your IP go away. As I have also mentioned, Moto Mobility's patents haven't been holding up either.

If I do recall, I believe Palm's already had some key patents upheld in the past, but I'm not sure. Nobody wants to take on the key smartphone patent because, if they lose, they'll be out big bucks to the current holder, and could be required to pay hefty licensing fees for every phone made from here on out.
    And according to this article, Palm doesn't even own the really good patents. PalmSource (aka the Japanese company Access) owns them.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...lm-source.html

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...oll-acacia.ars
    Last edited by samab; 08/21/2011 at 07:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    And according to this article, Palm doesn't even own the really good patents. PalmSource (aka the Japanese company Access) owns them.

Microsoft licenses Palm tech from patent troll Acacia
    Palm owns the patent to the smartphone...how is that not a good patent??
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    Palm owns the patent to the smartphone...how is that not a good patent??
    When patent trolls manage to get Microsoft to license their patents --- those are really good patents.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    webOS is alive, very much so.
    So is PalmOS
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post

Microsoft licenses Palm tech from patent troll Acacia
    Talking about the hardware patents here. Not the PalmOS software patents, of which, since Palm already has access, they wouldn't need any more to put webOS out there. Access my think otherwise, but they would be wrong.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12