Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    The phone will be pretty useless right? Since it depends on the cloud so much, no push notifications, no app catalogue, what else wouldn't function on the phone?
    Wrong. Read the tweets from webosinternals
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kiukiukiu View Post
    Wrong. Read the tweets from webosinternals
    Not every helpful...can you show me the tweets with the information that I'm referring to?

I found the tweet, but you can't "patch" push notifications and the app catalogue into your phone, they completely server-side dependent.
    I am afraid push-notification never exist on WebOS
    they are not shutting the cloud down
    webos isn't going anywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    they are not shutting the cloud down
    webos isn't going anywhere
    This was confirmed by Richard Kerris, himself.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    it was confirmed that it's not going anywhere, or did i miss something from kerris that they are shutting something down? lol
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    That's good news, but I thought they said they aren't supporting WebOS devices anymore? which would include the servers that help run those devices, right?

Can you point out a source? thanks.
    Nice guitar, LCGuy, got the same one

On webOS, the cloud only does a few things:
    1. Let's you go through first use (bypassable with homebrew)
    2. Gives you access to app catalog (Preware)
    3. Gives you backup/restore capabilities (a convenience, not a requirement)
    4. Gives you remote device management (somewhat irrelevant to savvy users)

So even if HP did shut down the cloud, which they said they're not, you'd still be able to use your phone without it there. And with the awesome homebrew community, you'd still get things like patches, tweaks, homebrew apps, and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    That's good news, but I thought they said they aren't supporting WebOS devices anymore? which would include the servers that help run those devices, right?

Can you point out a source? thanks.
    rashad1,

when they said they weren't supporting webos devices anymore, what they meant was that they do not want to invest the money into developing and building devices themselves.

the cloud and everything is done via software. the servers webos data runs on is not going anywhere.

HP just doesn't want to invest money into building a device itself, but will continue developing and refining webos itself.
    d503,
    Can you still access the app catalog via Preware? When I ran it today there was a notice saying Kerris had specifically told WebOSInternals that no 3rd party apps were allowed to access it any more. Any thoughts on why? Still tempted by a fire sale Pre3, but I don't want a brick.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftRightFire View Post
    d503,
    Can you still access the app catalog via Preware? When I ran it today there was a notice saying Kerris had specifically told WebOSInternals that no 3rd party apps were allowed to access it any more. Any thoughts on why? Still tempted by a fire sale Pre3, but I don't want a brick.
    Preware and AppCat are two completely different App Cats
    The support server hardly cost them anything.

And shutting these down early would likely get them sued.

Not too worried about this happening within the next couple of years.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5