Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TopTongueBarry
  1.    #1  
    Someone please do a tear down of the EU GSM Pre 3. Those of us in the USA want to know how comms is handled, whether its on its own board like the legacy devices, or embedded on the main board.

Thanks in advance.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    LCGuy likes this.
    I believe the WOSI guys already have EU GSM Pre 3s ordered and they'll certainly check if it's franken'able.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    I believe the WOSI guys already have EU GSM Pre 3s ordered and they'll certainly check if it's franken'able.
    Well even if it is, I'm doubtful any NA comms boards from the AT&T version will ever see the light of day

We can hope!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Well even if it is, I'm doubtful any NA comms boards from the AT&T version will ever see the light of day

We can hope!
    But in the unlikely event it has a comm board setup like the pre and pre 2, all anyone on AT&T would need is a sim comm board from a Pre Plus or Pre 2. I know I have one not in use from my GSM Pre 2 since I Sprintified it...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ntjoe View Post
    But in the unlikely event it has a comm board setup like the pre and pre 2, all anyone on AT&T would need is a sim comm board from a Pre Plus or Pre 2. I know I have one not in use from my GSM Pre 2 since I Sprintified it...
    Let's get the facts straight before posting please.
    Even if the Pre 3 does have comms boards and the communications are not embedded on the main board,
    get it straight, you will not be able to swap a Pre + Pre 2 or Pre - comms board into a Pre 3 and visa versa - Nope, not possible, no way, sorry to burst your bubble!
    Completely different design, completely different form factor and completely different radios.
    Pre 3 is Tri-band UMTS with HSPA 14.4 - Legacy devices were dual band UMTS.

Please allow me to restate myself from an earlier post:
    I'm doubtful any NA comms boards from the AT&T version will ever see the light of day (so turning an EU or CDMA Pre 3 into a fully compatable NA UTMS Pre 3 will probably never happen).
    P.S. Though I hope I am wrong about the last point / opinion ....
    So, if its a legacy device it could be as simple as adding SIM card and away you go? Which, is what I am hoping..
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_osis_of_liver2002 View Post
    So, if its a legacy device it could be as simple as adding SIM card and away you go? Which, is what I am hoping..
    Hmmm, has nothing to do with the Pre 3 if your talking about a legacy device. Different thread, different era as in we've all been there - done that on the legacy devices (swapped out comms boards)

The Pre 3 isn't legacy, but you are on the right track with your statement about just swapping out the SIM. because the EU Pre 3 is a Tri-band UMTS device and one of those 3 bands is 1900 MHz which just so happens to be one of the two bands used by AT&T and Rogers for their 3G UMTS data. Coverage is the real unanswered question when it comes to the different frequencies used by carriers for 3G and HSPA+ these days.

I've been reading up on the 1900 MHz UMTS band and the way its been used for several wireless topology's in the USA since it's introduction. Many wireless engineers associate the much publicized iphone dropped calls issue that jumped to the front page in 2009 with two things, one, the 1900 UMTS 3G band, or at least the way 850 and 1900 were being implemented for 3G prior to 2009 in the USA and two, how the device in question handled its hand offs from one band to the other during a call. Things have changed for the better since then and that's largly a result of engineers shifting more 3G UMTS traffic over to the more stable 850 MHz band and the hardware in newer versions of that said device has been corrected since the root of that problem was discovered..

BTW In order to make room for the increased amount of 3G data traffic being moved from 1900 to 850 a majority of the 2G Edge data traffic was shifted from 850 to 1900. For the time being, both EDGE and 3G UMTS technologies continue to share both bands here in North America. Sooner or later Edge will probably go away in favor of increased spectrum availability for 3G and 4G technologies.
    J/ curious; there a difference between the FR and UK Pre 3s? I can order from either location so I was curious if both were tri-band or if the non-UK ones were quadband?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by crayolarocks View Post
    J/ curious; there a difference between the FR and UK Pre 3s? I can order from either location so I was curious if both were tri-band or if the non-UK ones were quadband?
    I've seen one spec sheet for the UK 8GB Pre 3 that identified the UMTS comms ad Quad Band, however after looking into it further, their information may be flawed.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post3076710

Except for the language difference, official specs gleaned from the user manuals that come with the French and the UK Pre 3 are identical. Both devices support the same tri-band UMTS for daata.

http://www.hpwebos.com/us/support/ha...UG_WR_enUK.pdf

North American Pre 3 devices also offer Tri-band UMTS support, but the bands are different (850, 1900, and 2100 US 3G bands) than those used in Europe. The manual for the AT&T North American GSM Pre 3 device isn't available yet.
    Thanks for your quick and super informative reply!

Except for the language difference, official specs gleaned from the user manuals that come with the French and the UK Pre 3 are identical. Both devices support the same tri-band UMTS for daata.

http://www.hpwebos.com/us/support/ha...UG_WR_enUK.pdf

North American Pre 3 devices also offer Tri-band UMTS support, but the bands are different (850, 1900, and 2100 US 3G bands) than those used in Europe. The manual for the AT&T North American GSM Pre 3 device isn't available yet.
    I checked the french version as well, and it does show the exact same specs:
    http://www.hpwebos.com/us/support/ha...UG_WR_frFR.pdf

Radio ē UMTS tri-bandes (850/1900/2100 ou 900/1900/2100)
    ē HSDPA 14,4/HSUPA 5,76
    ē Quadri-bande GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900)
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Here's a page that describes using service menus in a Samsung android phone to switch the UMTS bands: Support HOW TO: Enable 850Mhz 3G Network Frequency on your Samsung i9000 Galaxy S - Android Forums

Any chance the Pre3 has such a capability?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Here's a page that describes using service menus in a Samsung android phone to switch the UMTS bands: Support HOW TO: Enable 850Mhz 3G Network Frequency on your Samsung i9000 Galaxy S - Android Forums

Any chance the Pre3 has such a capability?
    Great find Thanks.
    Depends on how deep into the manufacturing process HP was with this product. We know Samsung is heavily involved all the way from start to finish on most of their products. The next question is was one comms board manufactured or two different models like the Pre +, Pre - and Pre 2 designs had.
    If only one with the ability to change bands using firmware flashing or a menu, then this is a real possibilityh!

I think this warrants further research into the qualcomm chipset used in the Pre 3. We might find answers there.

Since I only have the one Pre 3, I'm not rushing into testing out that code on my device just yet. I can't take the chance of bricking the modem on it.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I'm sure that code wouldn't work on a pre 3, but do you know which qualcomm chipset the pre 3 uses?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    From what I can tell it's a MSM8655T...now if I could just find the frequencies, but it appears that there is only one chipset for all Pre3s...!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    From what I can tell it's a MSM8655T...now if I could just find the frequencies, but it appears that there is only one chipset for all Pre3s...!
    According to what I found; its the MSM8255T
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    On wikipedia it lists the MSM8655T for Pre3 under the Snapdragon page, but I think that must be the CDMA version and GSM has MSM8255T.
  17.    #18  
    Oh my gosh the Samsung I9001 also has the MSM8255T.

I think that link to the instructructions on how to change the WCDMA band choices you sent me was performed on Samsung I9001 .
    im getting all sweaty now