Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dearthoir
  • 1 Post By Greg Mair
  • 1 Post By redmist
  1.    #1  
    I just got my Pre3 few days ago and despite the (really bad) news I wont return it I am actuall delighted with it, to me it is the perfect phone and only needs few software tweaks.

I actually think is the best WebOS device ever produced, which is quite ironic, given HP announcement last week.

I guess that there will be several thousands of devices already fabricated so this is my suggestion:

Since HP has stated that they wont develop their hardware line further I think their best way out would be to follow Google Android's launch strategy and use the Pre 3 as platform to sell the WebOS advantages to other manufacturers (the hardware is no different than other high end phones out there but the software architecture is way better than any Android/WM7/iOS).

In order to sell the Pre3's they should give a competitive price to developers and to start an advertising campaign focusing on WebOS not on the Pre3 and regain some contracts with phone companies on both sides of the atlantic and asia so they gain (even if small) market share.

I honestly think that WebOS (on the pre3) could be a real hit if it is properly managed (just the opposite of what HP has done so far).
    I personally agree with you, but do you think that possible hardware partners will trust HP with the announcement? Anyway, I really wanted a Pre 3, but they are incredibly rare on eBay (I'm in Australia)
  3.    #3  
    That is precisely why they should use the Pre3 already developed and produced. With very little additional cost they will have a platform to show another hardware manufacturers that WebOS is more than vaporware.

This is exactly what happened with android at the very beggining.
    A fire sale? It seems HP has more TouchPads in stock in US, and more if not all Pre 3 in Europe. A fire sale on TouchPad has began in US, so perhaps a fire sale on Pre 3 will begin soon in Europe.
  5.    #5  
    Well, not quite. I am proposing a reasonable re-launching of the Pre3 (which is a great phone by the way) with a damage limitation strategy (if possible, given the circumnstances) and since we have to believe that their goal is to focus on WebOS, to use the investment already done (in developing the Pre3) to promote Webos.

They can even rename the units without touching the hardware as WebOS Communicator or whatever the non-existant marketing guys at HP could come up with and use it to develop the software over and to attract developers (what Google did with Android).

Simultaneously, they could start dealings with third parties (HTC and Samsung would be very interesting in having a way out of potential suits that Android is threatening them with and WM is not an option after nokia).

I actually understand HP decision (the hardware business is not where the money is on, look at Apple's revenues, Itunes store makes much more than their hardware branch in phones and ipads), is just the way the have managed the transition which is amazing (I will find surprising if few people are not fired for this, apoteker included).
    Give one, along with a touchpad to the top 200-500 players of the launchline contest who didn't qualify for the other prizes. Yeah, I'm still trying to get one gratis, and I only made the 200's.

Seriously, sell them, but wait a couple of weeks so I can buy one, too. I'll assume they will all be gsm, but I'm willing to switch to att for this phone.
    Very Simple.

They should email every single webos User right now and say, We'll sell you an unlocked Pre3 for 200 off contract.
    Sukiyaki likes this.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    They should should give one to each of the early adopters of the touchpads also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    Very Simple.

They should email every single webos User right now and say, We'll sell you an unlocked Pre3 for 200 off contract.

Hmmm on the surface this sounds like the ultimate "Make good" offer, but there's two pieces which make it less so.

a). It's not Sprint compatable - That's the carrier with a majority of the disgruntled legacy device owners.

b). its a discontinued device - price should be in the $50 - $100 range.

other than that I love your idea!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knsnik View Post
    They should should give one to each of the early adopters of the touchpads also.
    As a day one adapter of the TP, I happen to be quite satisfied with the way things have turned out for me personally and financially regarding the purchase although saddened about what this means for the platform, its users and for its faithful followers, as well as disappointed knowing the future of webOS looks grim.

I'm on my way out to BB to return my day one purchase of a 32GB TP for a complete refund of my purchase price including the amount I paid for an extended accidental damage protection warranty, totaling around $700, still looking for the receipt.

Then on to Office Depot where I have two 32 GB TP's waiting for me pick up at $149 each. The other $400 I get back from BB goes towards the $438 USD I paid to purchase an EU Pre 3 that's arriving here in California on Monday. So now I've now got 2 32GB TP's and a Pre 3 and it cost me less than $100 more than my original TP and warranty purchase.

Can't say yet whether this will work out as well as I hope until I receive the EU Pre 3 and can test how well a 1900 UMTS only device works here in the USA. If it isnt acceptable, then instead of being able to have the ideal devices on the ideal OS platform that suits my mobile needs, I'll probably be left with having to take a huge loss on the Pre 3 purcahse and be very lucky if I can break even on the TP's.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, still have the $50 early adapter check supposedly on its way, and the $50 app credit is already applied to my profile.

Monday is just two days away
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 08/20/2011 at 12:15 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    They'd make a great beowulf cluster.....

Old slashdot humor....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    scunacc1 likes this.
    Do what the Engadget Podcast suggested Rebrand the Pre 2, veer, pre 3 and touchpad is the new dumbphone/tablet. Sell them off contract for cheap with a pay as you go and hit carriers like Virgin, boost, and Metropcs.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    They'd make a great beowulf cluster.....

Old slashdot humor....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I actually considered that. Building a Beowulf cluster out of TPs. A bookshelf of 40 - little heating overhead 80 cores on a shelf. Wireless comms. Not a bad solution for some applications :-)

Kind regards

D.