Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1.    #1  
    An HP Employee (in the hardware dept) is doing an AMA @ reddit. Noticed this amazing tidbit:

(The full AMA: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...employee_amaa/ )

The biggest problem was having products canceled. We had multiple phones coming out that were incredibly close to production, they got canceled. They were canceled for a number of reasons, but mostly because we weren't hitting deadlines and didn't have any carrier support. We started in a bigger hole than most people know because the carriers were always skeptical of our new products.

Was there a big beautiful 4" slab in the works?

There was, but it was cancelled back in June
    Makes sense. And carriers had the right to be skeptical given the sales of other webOS devices.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    That is why webos won't make a comeback and no one will license it. The carriers were already skeptical and they just burned At&t supposedly. I don't understand though how the veer was the only one to make it out...I'd love to hear the reasoning behind that...
    Thanks for the link. That was a fascinating read, especially given the assertion that they had a number of phones cancelled for various reasons at various times. Also, totally bums me out that he said he doubted that the Pre3 would ever be seen in the wild. Damn.
  5.    #5  
    What I want to know is why the heck they kept missing deadlines such that MULTIPLE phones got killed!
    and it won't be running soon on any Samsung device;

Most people don't realize that Web OS is far from ready to run on Samsung phones. They use a completely different chip set that requires major rework of the OS. I'm in hardware so I don't know all the details, just that there will be a lot of work to do before its ready to license. I also don't see any reason for other companies wanting to license it.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    What I want to know is why the heck they kept missing deadlines such that MULTIPLE phones got killed!
    Yeah, if that is true, webOS is dead. If webOS truly is hardwired for Qualcomm, then Samsung won't buy it, and no one else is going to want to go through the trouble of adapting it or using the existing hardware team.

Then again, if they did hack it to run on an iPad, then maybe it is not as hopeless as it sounds. Well, for WiFi tablets. But it sounds like the hardware group is incompetent in any case.

Sounds like the Pre3 is junk, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    and it won't be running soon on any Samsung device;
    Yeah, it sounds like donating it to Internals to make it open source a la Mozilla is the best option.

Do those guys know firmware?
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    Thanks for the link. That was a fascinating read, especially given the assertion that they had a number of phones cancelled for various reasons at various times. Also, totally bums me out that he said he doubted that the Pre3 would ever be seen in the wild. Damn.
    The Pre 3 is already out there. Several forum members already have their Pre 3.
    Let HTC buy webos and the protopye phones...they will get it on the market quick

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    An HP Employee (in the hardware dept) is doing an AMA @ reddit. Noticed this amazing tidbit:

(The full AMA: IAMA HP Web OS Employee AMAA : IAmA )
    Was there a big beautiful 4" slab in the works?

There was, but it was cancelled back in June
    This answer is not from the employee doing the AMA.
    ^ It looks like he had to use a number of different throwaway accounts. It's probably him.

Found it interesting that he said the Pre3 looks nice, but the user experience is "as bad as every other phone we've put out."
    Why would he need two other accounts? Original one was amaathrowaway, then amaathrowawayLOSTPW, and then even another one throwawayOS? I'm skeptical. I don't even see him saying that it's his new account anywhere.
    And additionally, as someone there pointed out, he's only ever talking about "Web OS", I don't believe someone from the Palm webOS team would spell it that way. I want that AMA verified, including the two other throwaways.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    The touchpads are being sold for 100 bucks at the office right now. I have no idea what will happen with the Veers. I don't think Pre 3's will ever be spotted in the wild.
    That's a ballpark price for those who are waiting like me
    HP should have just produced a few hudrewd thousand devices, all unlocked GSM with every worldwide frequency for 2G and 3G, and sold them straigh to consumers.

Within months they'd have a much higher demand for them, and eventually, the US carriers would have colimbed on board.

Stupid, stupid, stupid management.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

kjb86 likes this.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    The piece also explains why there is no gesture area on the Touchpad, I guess. The hardware was already done by HP before webOS was in sight, so they forced Palm to remove it I guess, instead of redesigning the stuff :/
    What, all the thread reveals is how much crap HP engineers are. Leo tried his best to change the culture over at HP but couldn't. He understood our frustrations as consumers waiting too long for a mediocre product.

How can it be shocking to the development team when they're consistently missing deadlines. I'd like to know how they think they could continue on this path without consequences like losing their jobs. I'd like to know what makes them think they should keep their current salaries or expect more from another employer. They couldn't even meet deadlines for the dumb downed devices that the corporate heads wanted. Corporate knew they couldn't innovate and build fast enough, hence the early talks/rumors of finding the right hardware partner.

I'm pretty sure that many would take Leo's stance in killing off a none productive unit. Still though Leo did not handle things the right way without letting their partners know about what was going on...and they still are, no real clarification whatsoever. They should've thought before they spoke.

It all sucks, but for what it's worth at least those of us that intend of keeping the tp have the best kindle reader for the price as HP intends on refunding the difference.
    Last edited by champiful; 08/20/2011 at 01:46 PM.
    gmlongo and spud101 like this.
    In fairness, has post-2008 Palm ever seemed like a truly competent company?
    stung and milominderbinde like this.
    I don't think Rubinstein ever quite knew what the hell he was doing.
    bausti25 likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast