Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    Woo
    Last edited by xBlackxBlood; 08/20/2011 at 04:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    As some of you may already know, I've ordered an EU HP GSM SIM FREE Pre 3 from handtec.co.uk that will arrive here (USA, California) on Monday or Tuesday. I had been under the impression the device on its way to me was a quad band GSM and tri-band UTMS device with the three UTMS bands being 900, 1900, and 2100 (900 and 2100 are EU UTMS bands, whilst 850 and 1900 are North American UTMS bands).

With those specs, the device will supposedly work on AT&T and Rogers UMTS networks although it would have marginal 3G (and HSPA+ faux 4G) data performance/connectivity indoors. I also knew the device on its way to me from the UK was an 8GB model, whereas the US Pre 3 was going to be a 16GB version. .

Something about seeing the leaked email document cancelling the US launch ( I don't really know what) caused me to wonder whether I had the correct specs in mind for the EU SIM FREE GSM Pre 3 I had just purchased.

Take a close look at these specs for the 8GB SIM FREE EU GSM Pre 3 headed my way as reported by Skinflint (UK) » Phone & Co » Mobile Phones » 3G Phones without Contract at:

HP Pre 3 8GB | Skinflint Price Comparison UK

HP PALM PRE 3 QWERTY SIM FREE 8GB - HP FB437AA#ABU
    Form factor: slider • EDGE/GPRS/HSDPA/HSUPA • WAP/MMS • GPS • CPU: 1.4GHz Qualcomm MSM 8x55 • OS: WebOS • GSM-quad band (850/900/1800/1900MHz) • UMTS-quad band (850/900/1900/2100MHz) • Full keyboard • colour display (16 Mio. colours, 800x480 pixels, 3.6", capacitive touchscreen) • Video-/MP3 player • 2 digital cameras (1.: 5.0MP, LED-flash, AF, Videos @720p; 2.: VGA, video telephony) • Bluetooth 2.1 • microUSB 2.0 • 3.5mm jack plug • WLAN (802.11b/g(n) • 8GB memory • Standby time: not specified • Talk time: not specified • Size: 111x64x16mm • Weight: 156g • SAR value: not specified • Special features: acceleration sensor, proximity sensor, light sensor, compass

Do you see what I see?
    This description clearly states: GSM-quad band (850/900/1800/1900MHz) • UMTS-quad band (850/900/1900/2100MHz) .Someone please slap me silly if I've been had by my own wishful thinking fed by inaccurate data published on a shopping website, and please do it soon so I don't spend this whole weekend thinking that I've managed to stumble on a Pre 3 with both NA 850 and 1900 MHz 3G UTMS HSPA+ band connectivity I can use without concern in the USA.

EDIT: Went to Palm UK and downloaded the User Guide:

Officially Tri-band UMTS
    Specifications

Radio • Tri-band UMTS (850/1900/2100 or 900/1900/2100)• HSDPA 14.4/HSUPA 5.76
    • Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900)
    Barry, do the specs above as edited by you mean 3g will work but not do well indoors then? Which I assume is because the missing band does better indoors? I may buy one too for ATT but don't want a crippled device.

Such a dilemma now. Need a new device to replace the pre plus but want faux 4g however not a mini veer. Pre 2 unlocked could work but won't have faux 4g....however does have user replaceable batteries and will work with my touchstones. TTS will probably make its way to pre 2 also right?

Barry, what do you think?
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Barry, do the specs above as edited by you mean 3g will work but not do well indoors then? Which I assume is because the missing band does better indoors? I may buy one too for ATT but don't want a crippled device.

Such a dilemma now. Need a new device to replace the pre plus but want faux 4g however not a mini veer. Pre 2 unlocked could work but won't have faux 4g....however does have user replaceable batteries and will work with my touchstones. TTS will probably make its way to pre 2 also right?

Barry, what do you think?
    - Do you mean 3g will work but not do well indoors then?
    I will not be able to answer this question until I have the device in hand on Monday or Tuesday, but from what I have been told, that should be the case. A workable solution for indoor UMTS connectivity at your home or office may be an AT&T Microcell device (femocell).

- TTS will probably make its way to pre 2 also right?
    NO TTS for Pre 2, hardware is incompatable.
    Bluetooth phone app compatability already works with Veer and Pre 2
    Bluetooth SMS compatability was previously announced as coming in an update for both devices. With recent developments my personal opinion is that all bets are off. HP could still deliver one last update to the Pre 2 and Veer which will enable this, but at this time its anybodys guess whether they will do so.

NOTE: One thought that crosses my mind regarding BT SMS compatability with the TP for Veer and Pre 2 devices, webOS internals may be able to dig through the Pre 3 doctors (which I'm certain will make their way out since the EU Pre 3 eek'd out a soft release - barely). Furthermore, there's been no word or rumor yet of a Verizon Pre 3 launch cancellation. Palm reps have been quoted in other threads as stating the Verizon Pre 3 launch is still on for Sept 18th. (Hard to believe, but we actually received a semi-official release date in the midst of all this).
    Hopefully Rod and his crew of technical all stars will figure out a way to add this ability via patching once those doctors are released. Only time will tell.

Apologies, I am unable to definitively answer any of the questions you ask, but hope the information I have shared at least offers some level of hope for the future, not much, but some ...
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 08/20/2011 at 10:41 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    i find it hilarious that the webos phones are going for 50 bucks on hp's site, but the iPAQ glisten is still 200 dollars. what the hell?
    As some of you may already know, I've ordered an EU HP GSM SIM FREE Pre 3 from handtec.co.uk that will arrive here (USA, California) on Monday or Tuesday. I had been under the impression the device on its way to me was a quad band GSM and tri-band UTMS device with the three UTMS bands being 900, 1900, and 2100 (900 and 2100 are EU UTMS bands, whilst 850 and 1900 are North American UTMS bands).

With those specs, the device will supposedly work on AT&T and Rogers UMTS networks although it would have marginal 3G (and HSPA+ faux 4G) data performance/connectivity indoors. I also knew the device on its way to me from the UK was an 8GB model, whereas the US Pre 3 was going to be a 16GB version. .

Something about seeing the leaked email document cancelling the US launch ( I don't really know what) caused me to wonder whether I had the correct specs in mind for the EU SIM FREE GSM Pre 3 I had just purchased.

Take a close look at these specs for the 8GB SIM FREE EU GSM Pre 3 headed my way as reported by Skinflint (UK) » Phone & Co » Mobile Phones » 3G Phones without Contract at:

HP Pre 3 8GB | Skinflint Price Comparison UK

HP PALM PRE 3 QWERTY SIM FREE 8GB - HP FB437AA#ABU
    Form factor: slider • EDGE/GPRS/HSDPA/HSUPA • WAP/MMS • GPS • CPU: 1.4GHz Qualcomm MSM 8x55 • OS: WebOS • GSM-quad band (850/900/1800/1900MHz) • UMTS-quad band (850/900/1900/2100MHz) • Full keyboard • colour display (16 Mio. colours, 800x480 pixels, 3.6", capacitive touchscreen) • Video-/MP3 player • 2 digital cameras (1.: 5.0MP, LED-flash, AF, Videos @720p; 2.: VGA, video telephony) • Bluetooth 2.1 • microUSB 2.0 • 3.5mm jack plug • WLAN (802.11b/g(n) • 8GB memory • Standby time: not specified • Talk time: not specified • Size: 111x64x16mm • Weight: 156g • SAR value: not specified • Special features: acceleration sensor, proximity sensor, light sensor, compass

Do you see what I see?
    This description clearly states: GSM-quad band (850/900/1800/1900MHz) • UMTS-quad band (850/900/1900/2100MHz) .Someone please slap me silly if I've been had by my own wishful thinking fed by inaccurate data published on a shopping website, and please do it soon so I don't spend this whole weekend thinking that I've managed to stumble on a Pre 3 with both NA 850 and 1900 MHz 3G UTMS HSPA+ band connectivity I can use without concern in the USA.

EDIT: Went to Palm UK and downloaded the User Guide:

Officially Tri-band UMTS
    Specifications

Radio • Tri-band UMTS (850/1900/2100 or 900/1900/2100)• HSDPA 14.4/HSUPA 5.76
    • Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900)

Hey Barry. I was wondering if you had any information on whether the 850 frequency can be unlocked on the EU version. I know this has been done before on other devices (simple on some and much more complicated on others). From what I have read through searching the web, most EU model mobile devices have all of the frequencies available on the device, but only some are activated depending on the market the device is intended for. The 850 band has been enabled on EU Android handsets in the past, do you know if this will be possible with the EU Pre 3?

This is kind of an open ended question since I am sure unlocking the 850 frequency is possible, it is just a matter of figuring out how to do it. If I end up getting one, I am up for the challenge of trying to figure this out.

Please let me know if you have any info on this. Thank you! You have been very informative to everyone interested in picking up a Pre 3. This will likely be our last and only chance.

Thanks again!!!
  6.    #26  
    I have a feeling pre-3 may still come out on Verizon
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Would at&t's system automatically switch my data plan from blackberry to smartphone if I put my sim into a veer or pre 2 or 3? Thanks!
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticalman2 View Post
    Hey Barry. I was wondering if you had any information on whether the 850 frequency can be unlocked on the EU version. I know this has been done before on other devices (simple on some and much more complicated on others). From what I have read through searching the web, most EU model mobile devices have all of the frequencies available on the device, but only some are activated depending on the market the device is intended for. The 850 band has been enabled on EU Android handsets in the past, do you know if this will be possible with the EU Pre 3?

This is kind of an open ended question since I am sure unlocking the 850 frequency is possible, it is just a matter of figuring out how to do it. If I end up getting one, I am up for the challenge of trying to figure this out.

Please let me know if you have any info on this. Thank you! You have been very informative to everyone interested in picking up a Pre 3. This will likely be our last and only chance.

Thanks again!!!
    Thankfully 1900 MHz is sufficient in metropolition areas of the USA. 3G is stable and nobody is reporting issues , yet. Not counting on that to be the case in rural areas. Coverage is likely to be spotty.

To answer your question about 850 MHz yes we are aware of the success in enabling the 850MHz bands on the Samsung Galaxy S 9000 which uses the same chipset as the Pre 3. The Android community has been very helpful. We probably won't be working on this further until the webOS doctor for the EU pre 3 is released by HP for the simple reason that it will contain the modem flasher we'll need to implement the fix/hack gleaned from the modem flasher being used on the Galaxy S 9000 to enable 850 MHz

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post3101852
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
    But I'm still wondering what is HP going to do with the now surplus units.

They are not going to just leave them in a warehouse.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIΙ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I have a feeling pre-3 may still come out on Verizon
    Wishful thinking but I'll jump on that wagon with you!
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    But I'm still wondering what is HP going to do with the now surplus units.

They are not going to just leave them in a warehouse.
    incinerator?
    incinerator?
    Let's hope not.
    I would put my money on them distributing the pre's inside the company. Boost employee morale , ... etc.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregor_lln View Post
    I would put my money on them distributing the pre's inside the company. Boost employee morale , ... etc.
    Given that it sounds like multiple hardware teams are getting the ax, probably not much compensation...
    hp has no direction what so ever
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    hp has no direction what so ever
    Downward is also a direction =)
    As much as id like to have a Pre3 I just dont see a way of getting one cheap
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12