Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi Guys,

What other phones out there do you think best match the webOS experience?

In terms of:

Ease of Use (Not clunky)
    Intuitive
    Apps
    Synergy
    Multitasking (As close to webOS as possible)
    Notifications

I'm considering the Galaxy S II and the iPhone 5 for Sprint(If it comes out on it). I think the iPhone has improved their notifications and their multitasking, even though it's not comparable to webOS. The big drag on the iPhone is the small screen size and no keyboard.

So what else is out there?
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I've been told that you can customize an Android using 3rd party apps and possibly hacks to get the card experience and all the other stuff you mentioned.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Wp7 meets all of those, or will in Mango. But I doubt anything will adequately emulate the cards experience.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Nokia N9... If it ever comes to US I am definitely going to buy it.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Coming form the Pixi Plus I'm thinking that something like the Blackberry 9900/9930 is very close in terms of hardware. I'm not familiar enough with Blackberry OS to know how close that would come to Synergy.

I have to say that the Blackberry Playbook is very nice with gestures -- in some cases they copied and improved on webOS, so QNX on a phone might be promising sometime next year.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    N9 is the closest one but remember it will probably not be available in US other than eBay and itself just like a Pre3 is running on almost abandoned software.
    I'm considering the Sony Ericsson XPERIA Pro when its released....
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    If you want an intuitive and non-clunky interface I'd say that you should avoid Android at all costs. The iPhone is an excellent choice, and given that the screen size of all webOS phones except the Pre 3 is 3.1 inches or smaller, the iPhone screen size shouldn't be an issue. It's 3.5 inches, whereas the Pre 3's is 3.58.

I use Windows Phone 7 now and love it. I've already loaded up the Mango RC and have found things to have improved quite a bit. Third party multitasking doesn't really work yet as app developers have not released apps that support it yet but I doubt it'll take long once Mango officially drops. I'm sure that Nokia + WP7 will have some compelling handsets soon.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post
    N9 is the closest one but remember it will probably not be available in US other than eBay and itself just like a Pre3 is running on almost abandoned software.
    True but I think it runs on QT apps and the same apps runs on s^3 devices so N9 will have app support. I am sure amazon will sell it at some point. Barring price it really looks promising at least for my needs.

If not I even like wp7 and that along with Nokia's hardware...!
    Closest thing for me is buying an unlocked Pre 3 and going month to month on at&t.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatila View Post
    Wp7 meets all of those, or will in Mango. But I doubt anything will adequately emulate the cards experience.
    is wp7 os as customizable as webos (i.e. Patches, overclock, etc.)?
    Quote Originally Posted by pk1234 View Post
    is wp7 os as customizable as webos (i.e. Patches, overclock, etc.)?
    Not a long time user of the platform, but I can tell you that WP7 does not need overclocking at all. It is uber super smooth, especially Mango. In some 3rd party apps, scrolling is not as smooth, but the core OS is a no lag, smoothfest.
  13.    #13  
    The WP7 looks very classy to me but I'm not really into the whole vertical tile based thing. I'm also not really into the whole people-centric type experience. Are there a lot for apps for it?

iOS is starting to seem dated with the UI being a grid of icons. It seems boring but the devices comes to life once you starting using those apps. They patched on a revamped notification & multitasking system but the core UI is still basically the same as the first iPhone. It needs something more now. Add something such as multiple homescreens, widgets, cards, gestures, tiles, etc. just to spice it up some. I say that the screen needs to be be bigger because it only has an on-screen keyboard that takes up real estate whereas on the pre you'd still have your full screen viewable.

Android seems very clunky to me. I kind of like the widgets and homescreens. but the notification system and the multitasking isn't anything special. The UI is also kind of depressing because most backgrounds are black and plain whereas the iPhone and Pre is very colorful. Windows phone also has very dark backgrounds.

I really hope HTC or Samsung licenses webOS and builds some nice devices to keep the OS alive.
    Galaxy s 2 that thing is gonna be a beast
    Closest thing to pre 3 hardware would be the dell venue pro. Its available for free with contract on either t-mo or at&t. Just go to dell's site.

As for a webOS type of experience, That would be a jailbroken iPhone 4 with pro switcher, though you won't have gestures, you will have cards.

Me personally I will be waiting until windows mango phones start being released and switch my pre line (work phone) to one of those, I will still use the iPhone as my personal phone.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    WP7 is fairly nice, but in my experience it was not at all customizable. No patches at all. That was two months ago, so things may have changed.

I will be sticking with webOS. I've used them all except symbian and webOS is by far the best for me. Even if no further development is done, I'll still be happiest right here.
    WP7 is VERY colorful. It's customizable in the fact that pictures are used as wallpapers of everything. Each live tile is unique. My "People" (Contacts) live tile would NEVER look like your "People" live tile. Therefore, without patches or extra add-ons, its already very "customizable". As stated above, its VERY fast, VERY responsive. I've yet to see a list have even a half second delay between when I slide my finger and when the list moves. It's instant and a huge refreshing change from webOS (sadly enough).

The Dell Venue Pro is the ONLY respectable portrait slider phone available today. It looks really good but I have yet to feel it. Grab a nice cheap 8 GB one and drop a 32 GB microSD card in it (will save you over $60). I'm very excited for WP7, even though it feels a lot like webOS in that it doesn't have TOO much support (way more than webOS already, though). Mango is fantastic. It's a huge upgrade from the NoDo (which is, I think, the previous version).

My biggest complaint though, is the fact that its impossibly difficult to hack. Custom ROMs are possible and every day there's an announcement about it, but it's very limited (side loading apps is next to impossible). Windows also is holding the reigns very tight on developers. Not too much access, you have to officially proclaim your device as a developer device just to beta test your apps on it (you can only have 3). etc. etc.

Its a change from webOS, and the future looks a lot like webOS (good potential, nice refreshing UI, but will it pick up enough to stay alive?).

Thats my two cents on WP7. You can read my blog posts about it for a bit of the same info I just condensed here: A Temporary(?) Dabble in Windows Phone 7 | Sirata Studios
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    WP7 is VERY colorful. It's customizable in the fact that pictures are used as wallpapers of everything. Each live tile is unique. My "People" (Contacts) live tile would NEVER look like your "People" live tile. Therefore, without patches or extra add-ons, its already very "customizable". As stated above, its VERY fast, VERY responsive. I've yet to see a list have even a half second delay between when I slide my finger and when the list moves. It's instant and a huge refreshing change from webOS (sadly enough).

The Dell Venue Pro is the ONLY respectable portrait slider phone available today. It looks really good but I have yet to feel it. Grab a nice cheap 8 GB one and drop a 32 GB microSD card in it (will save you over $60). I'm very excited for WP7, even though it feels a lot like webOS in that it doesn't have TOO much support (way more than webOS already, though). Mango is fantastic. It's a huge upgrade from the NoDo (which is, I think, the previous version).

My biggest complaint though, is the fact that its impossibly difficult to hack. Custom ROMs are possible and every day there's an announcement about it, but it's very limited (side loading apps is next to impossible). Windows also is holding the reigns very tight on developers. Not too much access, you have to officially proclaim your device as a developer device just to beta test your apps on it (you can only have 3). etc. etc.

Its a change from webOS, and the future looks a lot like webOS (good potential, nice refreshing UI, but will it pick up enough to stay alive?).

Thats my two cents on WP7. You can read my blog posts about it for a bit of the same info I just condensed here: A Temporary(?) Dabble in Windows Phone 7 | Sirata Studios
    I don't think you have to worry about it staying alive, Microsoft, unlike hp, is willing to invest heavily and not worry about getting an immediate return. Microsoft has more gumption in its left pinky toe than all of hp put together. Just look at xbox, it took them 6 years, lots of naysayers, and billions of dollars in losses before they finally came out as a viable game company, and in many respects are now leading it. Windows phone isn't going to fail because Microsoft won't let it, not matter the cost of the investment or time.
    Last edited by fernandez21; 08/19/2011 at 08:02 PM.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    Galaxy s 2 that thing is gonna be a beast
    pretty much this. I'm settling for Android. Next month I'll be choosing between a Motorola Photon and the Galaxy SII (presumably the Epic Touch 4G)

I'm really going to miss webOS but I'll get that big screen and fast performance I always wanted.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    does anyone know if they manufactured any CDMA Pre3's? I wonder if any of those might be out on the market.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast