Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By MihMih
  1.    #1  

After checking out what andro and wp7 had to offer and researching some of the ugliest phones i have seen in existence, the decision to get a pre3 is more firmer than ever, i will probably get a backup device and a veer just for kicks and because :

- they will be cheap as hell, i expect 150 euro for an unlocked pre3 and even less for the veer

- apart from its pebble appeal i have grown accustom to, pre3 is the only phone in existence with synergized skype and synergy in general (wp7 mango is rumored to integrate skype even deeper but it's not in the betas so noone can tell for sure yet)

- it is bigger, better, faster than my current pre+, which does everything i would expect from a smartphone - syncs my company email, full web, even runs office communicator (okay not without hitches, but does the only job i really need it to - appearing online for my bosses to see), syncs to my desktop for music and videos and i don't even have to do that now that kalemsoft media player is up and running and i can stream all of my home library on the fly with no conversion

- even if webos doesn't go opensource, i am 99% positive that a) HP is going to keep the activation servers running for the next 2-3 years because it is not an overhead for them at all or b) if the grim prognoses that HP is going to turn all the lights off turn out to be true I am certain they will leave the serverside software to webos-internals to run on the
    server they already gave them

- with xterm and xserver i can throw debian on it and basically do whatever i please including doc editing (which no professional would ever do on a phone, but alas)

- there is no way i am going back to the pre-inductive charging days of dangling cords out of computers and walls - i have touchstones at work, at home and recently integrated it in my car, which gives me speaking turn by turn (navit) and bluetooth streaming music player remix or internet radio to the car stereo by just throwing the damn phone there and letting mode switcher do its magic

- i will be the cool non-conforming to the trends techie among all of my colleagues

So, i have another 1 to 2 years of webos goodness regradless of if there's going to be new developments for it, which i am sure there will be and couldn't give a rats *** if HP and future devs are abandoning it. Who's with me ?
    joyu12, Xethur, Rnp and 1 others like this.
    Your getting a touchpad too?

I just hope HP does the right thing and sends the whole thing open source. I also want to see what webos on the pc would have looked like.
    Quote Originally Posted by MihMih View Post

After checking out what andro and wp7 had to offer and researching some of the ugliest phones i have seen in existence, the decision to get a pre3 is more firmer than ever, i will probably get a backup device and a veer just for kicks and because :

- they will be cheap as hell, i expect 150 euro for an unlocked pre3 and even less for the veer

- apart from its pebble appeal i have grown accustom to, pre3 is the only phone in existence with synergized skype and synergy in general (wp7 mango is rumored to integrate skype even deeper but it's not in the betas so noone can tell for sure yet)

- it is bigger, better, faster than my current pre+, which does everything i would expect from a smartphone - syncs my company email, full web, even runs office communicator (okay not without hitches, but does the only job i really need it to - appearing online for my bosses to see), syncs to my desktop for music and videos and i don't even have to do that now that kalemsoft media player is up and running and i can stream all of my home library on the fly with no conversion

- even if webos doesn't go opensource, i am 99% positive that a) HP is going to keep the activation servers running for the next 2-3 years because it is not an overhead for them at all or b) if the grim prognoses that HP is going to turn all the lights off turn out to be true I am certain they will leave the serverside software to webos-internals to run on the

- with xterm and xserver i can throw debian on it and basically do whatever i please including doc editing (which no professional would ever do on a phone, but alas)

- there is no way i am going back to the pre-inductive charging days of dangling cords out of computers and walls - i have touchstones at work, at home and recently integrated it in my car, which gives me speaking turn by turn (navit) and bluetooth streaming music player remix or internet radio to the car stereo by just throwing the damn phone there and letting mode switcher do its magic

- i will be the cool non-conforming to the trends techie among all of my colleagues

So, i have another 1 to 2 years of webos goodness regradless of if there's going to be new developments for it, which i am sure there will be and couldn't give a rats *** if HP and future devs are abandoning it. Who's with me ?
    You sir, are absolutely right!
    Hey, I agree.. but will the prices come down like that?

And if so, when?
    Quote Originally Posted by MihMih View Post
    I agree with you on everything, except maybe this part...
    I'm just really afraid they could pull the plug...

After what they did yesterday, one month after touchpad's release, I could very well see them turning off activation and the App Catalog, which would completely kill the devices. I will wait for a statement about it before I make a purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    Hey, I agree.. but will the prices come down like that?

And if so, when?
    Have you taken a look at the touchpad forum? I would say that half the current touchpad owners are trying to return them. I expect that in a month at the longest the touchpad will be available really cheap. how cheap really depends on what HP decides to do with WebOS. I'm optimist so I already have a $10 bid on a no contract veer on ebay.
    Problem is it seems HP is more keen on just scrapping them. They already stopped selling Pre3 in Germany it appears.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Problem is it seems HP is more keen on just scrapping them. They already stopped selling Pre3 in Germany it appears.
    Thank goodness my UK Pre 3 is already in Fed-Ex's possession. Set to arrive here in California on Monday!

Gosh I really hope 1900 alone for HSPA+ combined with a femocell device at my house turns out to be an acceptable solution!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    you sir are looking on the bright side of life! As long as what is currently there does what you want I see no problems with your decision at all. As long as a phone meets your needs for 2 years that is about all you need.

(Unless it breaks and you need to try to replace it.)
    Dumb question..is the 850 band that is missing only used for data, not calls and sms?