1.    #1  
    Hi All,

Like everyone else shocked at the news but having jumped back on webOS having had a pre-, 2 android phones (force close anyone?) iOS phones, N8 and HTC HD 7, I got a pre 2 and I remembered exactly why I loved it.

Always said that webOS was great but hardware sucked, the pre 2 experience made me buy the TouchPad ( yes had an iPad and Moto Xoom, won't touch another Android tab)

Now my quandary is I have the Pre 3 arriving today, what to do :'( return or keep!

It was a toss up between the 3 and a N9, and I thought the N9 was going to have little support.

I have to laugh when I had the N8 the Nokia ******* always moaned about being shafted by Elop, damn that was a light tickling compared to what HP has done to us!

B

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by barryb20; 08/19/2011 at 02:50 AM.
    I'd say keep the Pre 3 and hope that Webos goes opensource and Webos internals feel the gap.

Seems that your not into Android or the other big four so i say stick with the Pre 3.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply, I am swaying that way.

Imo the OS would stack like this
    WebOS, WP7,iOS,Android,Symbian

Despite the lack of apps from webOS and WP7 they are more enjoyable than iOS to use which has stagnated since launch with only drip feed of features :/ Android well yeah lol in another years time perhaps

B

I'd say wait and see what ICS is like. (im alittle android bias) also the beauty of android is XDA and making it whatever you really want. If you were a bug preware user i would say get the GS2 root it and sign up for XDA.

Might want to try putting MIUI rom on android

MIUI, Redefining Android – MIUI Android Developers
  5.    #5  
    I did go down the XDA route, modded my first Android phone with Cyanogen, and I got the Nexus One from the US on release before it was avilable over here as well (still have that, g/f uses)

3.0 on the Tablets kinda sucked, it was OK but fell way short IMO compared to iOS and even the TouchPad felt better, again IMO, just more enjoyable to use. 3.0 kept force closing the browser lol that really annoyed!

B
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Truthfully I'd refuse delivery and if you still want one, see what the price is like in four weeks time - I wouldn't be amazed if it's 55% off. I would think that the Carphone Warehouse in particularly is amazing ****ed off to have launched a phone that went EOL the day after they put it in their stores.
    yea, no sense in not returning something that is EOL and soon to be on firesale.
  8.    #8  
    Yeah it does seem to make sense but I'm still not 100%! And using my Pre2 today makes me wonder if I will ever find another OS that works so well for multitasking just soo intuative.

B
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Well, since you have ordered it online, you have seven days to return it - so maybe you could chance half a week and see how you feel?
    Mine is arriving today, I am going to give it a thorough testing this weekend and then decide whether to send It back or not. If my key apps are there I am happy. I have Android since Hero and still only use about 2 apps regularly.

My Pre I think I only bought official Risk game lol. Which I hope will work on 'Pre3 and I can still get it from my old profile :P
    I refused to accept my from the delivery guy this morning and have requested a full refund.

Slept on it last night and woke this morning, with mind made up! I want a divorce!
    you totally sounds like u'r in love with webos. So go ahead n take the delivery. Return it if you dun like it.

I've just ask handtec to deliver mine as well.
    I also have a similar quandry. I had my heart set on a Pre 3 since my contract with CPW is up for renewal. I had a SE Satio which went EOL pretty quick. I had hacked it but considering all the patches were done by a handful of guys I left patching and just used the phone as is.

The other operating system I am considering is WP7. It's the next best alternative. I have heard a few people raving about Mango. The only thing is I want something with a physical keyboard and those kind of handsets seem to be few and far between. Is the Dell Venue Pro any good - and does it support Mango?

So, I ask you all. Get a pre3 nad be stuck with it for 24 months or jump ship to WP7?
  14.    #14  
    Hi Snorri,

having had WP7 all release handsets are Mango updateable, But Dell did mess around for a bit with update timings and issues with firmware I think. Don't know of anyone who actually owned one.

WP7 is good tbh but for me not as good as using webOS, sure it has loads of games and apps, depends what your needs are.

If my Pre 3 is at home when I get there tonight I will look at it and then decide what to do with it, as mentioned before it's not as if it will stop working anytime soon! And for me even the Pre 2 feels good as a phone, will update on my decision.

Barry
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    Hi Snorri,

having had WP7 all release handsets are Mango updateable, But Dell did mess around for a bit with update timings and issues with firmware I think. Don't know of anyone who actually owned one.

WP7 is good tbh but for me not as good as using webOS, sure it has loads of games and apps, depends what your needs are.

If my Pre 3 is at home when I get there tonight I will look at it and then decide what to do with it, as mentioned before it's not as if it will stop working anytime soon! And for me even the Pre 2 feels good as a phone, will update on my decision.

Barry
    I think \ thought the same as you, but its thelack of future support and soon to be zero apps that made me return mine. its all too much to stomach tbh. RIP
  16.    #16  
    Well not sure why my Pre is box shipped it but so far it is mia.

However I spoke to someone in PSG this afternoon, he told me HP are NOT abandoning webOS as an ecosystem. So Pre 3 wherever you are your not being retirned!

B

[QUOTE=barryb20;3075055]
    However I spoke to someone in PSG this afternoon, he told me HP are NOT abandoning webOS as an ecosystem. So Pre 3 wherever you are your not being retirned![QUOTE]
    I am keeping mine too but I find it hard to believe they'll support a few hundred users for long.
    Maybe the Announcement is that HP is sending webos opensource and that way any phone could run it through root.

Also seeing as Webos was HP's play into the enterprise market with phones and tablets any word on how they did.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    Maybe the Announcement is that HP is sending webos opensource and that way any phone could run it through root.

Also seeing as Webos was HP's play into the enterprise market with phones and tablets any word on how they did.
    The announcement was that HP is getting out of the WebOS phone and tablet business. It's over. Might be a good time to buy a cheap Pre 2 though.

I think WebOS made zero impression in the enterprise market which is traditionally Blackberry. However, Android and iOS are starting to make significant in roads into that market. If RIM makes as bigger mess of the transition from BB OS as Palm did from PalmOS, the smartphone OS market may end up a duoply.
    Got my Pre 3 from Clove yesterday, played with it for half a day and it is going back. It's heavy, the keyboard is better than that on my original Pre but is still mediocre, screen is very nice, it's a heck of a lot quicker than the original Pre but I've already instigated a return with Clove. It's just not up to Android or iOS, it might have been a year ago but now, still love the OS but it already feels a bit dated....some of the apps that I used on the original Pre seem to have vanished from the store plus a lot of the apps I used don't seem to have been updated hardly in the past year.
    It might be great at multitasking but what use is that when there's a limited choice of decent apps to multitask with?
    I'm disappointed with the Pre 3, it has the feel of a 2010 device.