Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've been wanting a Pre3 since they announced it but since the recent announcement of HP not making anymore hardware of anything webOS, I'm pretty sure they won't be selling the Pre3 in the United States.

So if I bought a UK Pre3 from (for example), HandTec.co.uk, would it work for AT&T in the US?
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Yes, all unlocked GSM phone work on any GSM carrier, although not everything might work properly.
    As other has pointed out, it will work well outdoor with 1900MHz frequency band. But indoor reception will be limited due to the absence of 850MHz frequency band on the Pre 3.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kiukiukiu View Post
    As other has pointed out, it will work well outdoor with 1900MHz frequency band. But indoor reception will be limited due to the absence of 850MHz frequency band on the Pre 3.
    Would this affect the call quality and reception badly? Would the 3G go slower?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderJJJ View Post
    Sorry, I am not in the US. As far as I know, 1900MHz isn't good at penetrating walls or obstructions. So you can expect signal strength drops when you go indoor.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post3073438
    Quad band GSM GPRS and EDGE data will work fine. 3G and HSPA+ faux 4g will suffer while indoors. The device will still function, but the decrease in data speed will be noticable. I'm also expecting my AT&T Microcell Femocell device to save me while indoors at home. Supposedly having one of those is a viable way to get around the problem. Thing is you can't bring this device with you everywhere you go. Its only usable at the one location you configure it for. Internal GPS prevents its use in multiple or unauthorized locations.

Of course much of this information regarding the use of 3G / HSPA+ on 1900 MHz only in the USA is speculative or obtained indirectly from second hand sources. I won't be able to definitively answer this question until I receive and test out my EU Pre 3 here in the USA, Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Will post first hand results at that time.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Quad band GSM GPRS and EDGE data will work fine. 3G and HSPA+ faux 4g will suffer while indoors. The device will still function, but the decrease in data speed will be noticable. I'm also expecting my AT&T Microcell Femocell device to save me while indoors at home. Supposedly having one of those is a viable way to get around the problem. Thing is you can't bring this device with you everywhere you go. Its only usable at the one location you configure it for. Internal GPS prevents its use in multiple or unauthorized locations.

Of course much of this information regarding the use of 3G / HSPA+ on 1900 MHz only in the USA is speculative or obtained indirectly from second hand sources. I won't be able to definitively answer this question until I receive and test out my EU Pre 3 here in the USA, Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Will post first hand results at that time.
    You are still going ahead with the handset then?
    Quote Originally Posted by noxis View Post
    You are still going ahead with the handset then?
    Yes, Just got email from handtec.co.uk confirming my order so I called to make sure they still had them in stock and they told me yes adding my order would be shipping out today. The rep said it should arrive on Monday.

I questioned this delivery date and asked him: Monday, I'm in the USA?

He responded Yes! I'm not counting on it though. Figure it will be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'll post in here when it arrives and will certainly be reporting on how well the single band UTMS HSPA+ is working over here too.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 08/19/2011 at 05:57 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    I also ordered mine (NYC, USA) last night from handtec and I went through their confirm process this morning (since I was a 1st time customer). If for some magical reason stock runs out between now and processing my order; then that's life. That's why credit card protection is for anyway! LOL.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Well, if you don't care about 3G bands it is quad GSM, but I wouldn't go with it personally.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    when I bought US pre2 I could not get 3g network in UK. I assume its same for pre 3.
  12.    #12  

Thanks for your response. I'll probably make a decision once you get yours and post on how it's working out.
    Yes, Just got email from handtec.co.uk confirming my order so I called to make sure they still had them in stock and they told me yes adding my order would be shipping out today. The rep said it should arrive on Monday.
    Can you let me know how much the total cost was after exchange+shipping+everything?
    I've been wanting a Pre3 since they announced it but since the recent announcement of HP not making anymore hardware of anything webOS, I'm pretty sure they won't be selling the Pre3 in the United States.

So if I bought a UK Pre3 from (for example), HandTec.co.uk, would it work for AT&T in the US?
    I don't know the answer yet and may not know until Monday, however check this out. it's encouraging - specs for the EU Pre 3 8GB model seem to be different than the rest of them (16GB models) see for yourself:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post3076710
  15.    #15  
    I don't know the answer yet and may not know until Monday, however check this out. it's encouraging - specs for the EU Pre 3 8GB model seem to be different than the rest of them (16GB models) see for yourself:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post3076710
    Went ahead and bought one today from HandTec anyway. Haha. But you'll get yours first, so tell us how it goes when you receive it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kchan283 View Post
    when I bought US pre2 I could not get 3g network in UK. I assume its same for pre 3.
    Correct, the North American GSM Pre 2, Pre + and Pre - devices have dual band UTMS on North American UMTS bands 850 and 1900. The EU GSM models of those devices have dual band UMTS on European UMTS bands 900 and 2100. No way 3G in one region is going to work while using a device from the other region.

Pre 3 and Veer are different. They have tri-band UTMS instead of dual band radios. The EU models have both the EU bands listed above, 900 and 2100, plus 1900. The North American models have both the NA bands listed above, 850 and 1900, plus the 2100 band.

This allows the devices to function more like world phones, but without the higher cost of adding a quad-band UMTS radio inside. They will work in most country's worldwide, although there are exceptions. The 3G HSPA+ connectivity may be inconsistent due to the single UMTS band utilization. The Pre 3 and Veer fall into this category because they are tri-band UMTS devices.

For example EU 3G tri-band UMTS devices with only 1900 band functionality when used in the North Americian region will generally work just fine outdoors and in metropoliton areas, but will not have very good signal strength when used indoors due to the 1900 band's poor building penetration.

Often cell sites are built out initially in rural areas with equipment capable of communicating on one of the two regional bands with the second band added during future upgrades to the network.

Finally, some carriers will use one band for data transfer upload and the other band for data transfer download. This renders out of region devices with only one working UMTS band non functional for 3G UMTS HSPA+ connectivity.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 08/21/2011 at 08:53 AM.
    bevcraw likes this.
    Barry, or anyone else-- is the HSPA+ protocol band specific or does it function on the same bands as HSDPA?

Also, I assume voice calls will be identical on the UK version and my US ATT Pre plus?

thanks (again)
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Do you think Hadtec will honor a price drop if thie Pre 3 fire-sales? Are you planning on returning the device if this doesnt happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Barry, or anyone else-- is the HSPA+ protocol band specific or does it function on the same bands as HSDPA?

Also, I assume voice calls will be identical on the UK version and my US ATT Pre plus?

thanks (again)
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ults-here.html
    Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    Do you think Hadtec will honor a price drop if thie Pre 3 fire-sales? Are you planning on returning the device if this doesnt happen?
    Hope they do
    undecided about returing it though. Don't want to be getting rid of one I already have in hand without the promise of another on its way.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast