Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ok, ok...I get it HP, the joke's on us. Thank you and **** you. Thanks for making it right for us faithful WebOS people.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    This better not get deleted. Its so true.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Titan078, donm527 and Soorma like this.
    I think about all of the people who "knew somebody" and knew when there's be a Pre3. Whenever someone challenged them and asked that we only talk about things in the established fact set, WE were somehow the "trolls".

Well, the fact is, those rumor mongers were the real "trolls", who only got their jollies by jerking around board members who were only ******* and checked their dedication to factual analysis at the door. Who willfully and willingly suspended critical thought just for based on mere fantasy.

Fact is, HP has never acted as if they were committed to webOS devices. After a *February* event, it took them how long to finally launch a phone *in Europe only* with not even the benefit of a free Press Release from their media relations department. I give HP credit for at least being clear about their lack of commitment.

It's the "I know when it'll be released" guys on these boards and their followers. They're the guys holding the bag.
    clevin and Mikey47 like this.
    It's particularly true to the people that bought touchpads, veers and pre+s... it's 2 years for the pre- people and they can get an new phone for a cheap price. The others are stuck or buy a phone out of contract for a big chunk of change.
    February: This is the beginning of something big! Remember the first time you saw a PDA or an iPod? We know the situation looks bad, but it's a marathon, not a sprint, and we're committing to do this! Next year, all HP PCs will ship with webOS.

August: lol jk, we're actually not even going to make PCs anymore, either! We just didn't know all that half a year ago. Yeah, we mostly do things on spontaneous gut feeling around here.

Like, remember a year ago, we wanted to enter mobile devices? Ha, ancient history. It simply didn't catapult us to #1 within the first three months on the market, and we cannot be bothered to look at the longer term.
    But hey, we're NOW going to buy Autonomy for a cool $10bn. Sure, it won't earn us money within the first year, but the Long Term outlook.....
    You have a better chance of keeping this thread going if you abide by forum guides on civility and language. In other words, no cussing or flaming.
    Sad day, very sad day. As a long time PALM user who goes back to the Palm Pilot I am not thrilled to hear this. While I may have migrated over time to Android I always held out hope Palm/Webos would at least be some what succesful. Feels like I lost a old friend.
    I didn't have a lot of faith in HP from the beginning, though I thought with the money it could be ok.

I've had an Evo 3d for the last 2 months or so. If I can get an Android phone with cardview and webos style notifications, I would be a happy user.
    at some point last week i was willing to buy a veer, good thing i didnt!
    bad management...REALLY bad management!
    All the hopes and dreams *poof*... all the hours spent refreshing P|C for any new news... all the debate on when Pre3 was coming...

Thanks hp...
    Soorma, preak and MaverickC5 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmad View Post
    at some point last week i was willing to buy a veer, good thing i didnt!
    bad management...REALLY bad management!
    Bad *middle* management. Good job by upper management to recognize reality before more money was wasted. Of course, what where they thinking in the first place?

Makes you wonder how much Leo was involved during the palm liquidation. If he had been on the job a few months earlier, would HP have ever bothered with it? Anyone that's ever used the abomination tht is SAP would know that Leo couldn't possibly be expected to turn out good consumer devises with good user interfaces.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey32 View Post
    I think about all of the people who "knew somebody" and knew when there's be a Pre3. Whenever someone challenged them and asked that we only talk about things in the established fact set, WE were somehow the "trolls"...
    Even this week people were posting that they worked for a carrier and knew for a fact that the Pre3 was coming.

Looking back at some of their posts I wonder if some were not kids just having having fun watching us chase our tails.

I wanted to believe it. It was what I wanted to hear so I would think beyond.

I had even run numbers to see what it would cost my family in early termination and AT&T added months costs. (A lot up front and about $24 per person per month. Everyone on Sprint can get the EVP Discoumt.)
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/18/2011 at 09:15 PM.
    Well, let's be real here. When you see the reaction of the lower level executives, it's pretty clear that they had no idea this was coming either. Quite frankly, Leo just put HP in a huge bind. If they had already committed to carriers (some recent rumors indicated they had), then this could be grounds for some major lawsuits. Quite frankly, to be at this stage of introduction for the new hardware, and just quit, with millions and millions put forth for hardware already, is idiotic. I'm flabbergasted that the board hasn't already called a meeting to fire the guy. He just took one of the largest technology companies on Earth, and put it on the chopping block. How is this, in any way, shape, or form, good for shareholder value?

I was looking forward to the Pre 3 and seeing if it was a phone I would get my wife, and then, later, myself. I was excited seeing the unveiling by RedMist on his thread. The TouchPad Go was just around the corner. HP has already become the number 2 brand in tablet sales (everyone is sucking behind the iPad, but HP sucked the least in such a short time). And he pulls the plug NOW?! Why not wait until you've had the chance to see if all of the hardware would pull in the sales? Even worse, instead of just dropping the TouchPad to $300 and moving tons of units already built for a small loss and gaining marketshare, the moron makes this PRPRPR $disaster$, $and$ $makes$ $all$ $of$ $the$ $hardware$ $on$ $retail$ $shelves$, $and$ $in$ $HP$ $stock$, $absolutely$ $worthless$! $Now$, $instead$ $of$ $eating$ $$30$ $per$ $TP$, $you$ $have$ $to$ $eat$ $at$ $least$ $$330$, $and$ $risk$ $multiple$ $lawsuits$! $BRILLIANT$!

Wow. Just wow.
    Leo is a disgrace!
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I had even run numbers to see what it would cost my family in early termination and AT&T added months costs. (A lot up front and about $24 per person per month. Everyone on Sprint can get the EVP Discoumt.)
    AT&T also has employee discounts. Just a bit trickier to get a hold of. Switching to AT&T was the best thing I did in lieu of this news. I can now get any GSM phone I choose and use it at my leisure. Be it a Pre 3, or *SHUDDER* Android. Maybe WP7...

The world's my oyster!

the fact that they never even got to the "flagship phone" indicates to me that the first statements that they didn't buy Palm for phones was always true. that's why the tablet was the push. no word on veers even after launch. and it was the failure of the tablet that truly made the decision for them. I personally don't think they cared much about phones. they cared about tablets.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    ...Even worse, instead of just dropping the TouchPad to $300 and moving tons of units already built for a small loss and gaining marketshare, the moron makes this PRPRPR $disaster$, $and$ $makes$ $all$ $of$ $the$ $hardware$ $on$ $retail$ $shelves$, $and$ $in$ $HP$ $stock$, $absolutely$ $worthless$! $Now$, $instead$ $of$ $eating$ $$30$ $per$ $TP$, $you$ $have$ $to$ $eat$ $at$ $least$ $$330$, $and$ $risk$ $multiple$ $lawsuits$! $BRILLIANT$!

Wow. Just wow.
    I totally missed that. If Leo would have just shut up and smiled, they could have announced a price of $299 this weekend only.

The TouchPads would have sold out. Yes, HP may have taken a loss of maybe $30 per unit but that is better than $300 per unit.

Wow.
    dj ozone likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Was that really necessary?
    No, what isn't necessary is some kind of reference to this guy, coupled with talk of webos devices being available in the future...

I'm sorry to see all this happen this way, but it was really getting over the top with the willful disregard of reality around here.

Besides, what's left to do but smile?

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    the fact that they never even got to the "flagship phone" indicates to me that the first statements that they didn't buy Palm for phones was always true. that's why the tablet was the push. no word on veers even after launch. and it was the failure of the tablet that truly made the decision for them. I personally don't think they cared much about phones. they cared about tablets.
    You are right and they were wrong.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast