Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Apparently yesterday I bought a feature phone... I wonder who will provide support when the bugs start to show?
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    I'd cancel or return it.
    Dunno. I think we're yet to hear what HPs plans are for supporting their existing hardware.

I hope they'll continue to support, but its prolly naive to think that this will be much more than a 'tune up' for the US release.. dunno.

Its seems most of the WebOS hardware/software portion of the company was totally blindsided by this, so I'd think it will be days or weeks before HP work out what they are going to do about supporting existing devices
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    I'd cancel or return it.
    Not that easy... I'm not from the UK... also I really like the phone and I don't really need all the 3rd party apps that would have come.
    On the other hand, I think the least HP can do right now is remove the geo-lock
    Quote Originally Posted by surpass View Post
    Look in the mirror.
    All web Os products are officially cancelled. My touchpad hasn't arrived yet and I already have to return it. HP offered the 32G wifi unit for 250 to employees and now the product is cancelled.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
    Apparently yesterday I bought a feature phone... I wonder who will provide support when the bugs start to show?
    HP will.

For one, they're still saying they're committed to webOS software.

Even if that's just a lie or their shady way of saying "we're looking for someone else to do it", they can't just sell you something and not support it. You have a warranty. They have to honor that.

Today's announcement just said that HP isn't going to make webOS hardware in the future.

It most certainly doesn't turn a Pre3 into a feature phone. It'll still do everything it did yesterday, and when it breaks, they'll fix it for you, just as cheaply or expensively as they would have yesterday.

It just won't be followed up with a Pre4, and because they announced it just like that, without explicitly talking about future hardware manufacturers, our sparse developer population is probably already en route for the Android hills.

I'm not sure if I could in good conscience tell anybody to get a Pre3 now, not because HP isn't going to do hardware anymore, but because HP's announcement has pulled the rug from underneath webOS' feet. Even though the Pre3 at €350 is a hell of a deal, it would simply pain me to know it's a dead end, capable and awesome and pretty as it may be.

Just so sad. Everybody who said that HP didn't have the vision or willpower to actually pull through on webOS was right all along. They expected to come into the arena and win every fight just by standing there and smiling.

NOW, more than a year after the Palm buyout, HP's manager geniuses have found out that making webOS big would require more than just the initial investment, so they're scrapping webOS hardware, essentially saying that webOS hardware isn't profitable but if anybody else wants to try, they'll let them. Well said, HP.

The only people losing are the ones who actually believed HP in February when they said that HP is in it for the long haul... it's a marathon, not a sprint... all HP PCs in 2012 will run webOS... beginning of a new era... stuff like that. They apparently didn't mean one syllable of it.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    when it breaks, they'll fix it for you, just as cheaply or expensively as they would have yesterday.
    Yeah, I do have a warranty but support means more than fixing, it means adding features, optimizing performance and taking care of those pesky little bugs that doesn't qualify as malfunction but can drive you mad.
    Look in the mirror comment is even more ironic since it probably still has the built in mirror on the back. Lol
    It's hard to believe the - what? 10 of us maybe - will get more than token support now. What a day! Open the box in the morning. Activate the device in the afternoon. Watch its future wither in the evening.
    I'm gone now. This just ruined my day, my week, my month, MY LIFE! I've spent 2 1/2 yrs supporting and speaking good of Pre, then how ever many months speaking highly of HP for buying up Palm and "promising" us the phone we wanted. I feel like I married a lose women and now I have no choice to divorce her. But yet she stole my heart and now I gotta start from scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo.55 View Post
    I'm gone now. This just ruined my day, my week, my month, MY LIFE! I've spent 2 1/2 yrs supporting and speaking good of Pre, then how ever many months speaking highly of HP for buying up Palm and "promising" us the phone we wanted. I feel like I married a lose women and now I have no choice to divorce her. But yet she stole my heart and now I gotta start from scratch.
    I'm in the same boat as you. Except I don't plan on switching to another OS for as long as possible.

My Palm History- Palm Pilot 5000> Palm V> m105> m130> Zire 71> Sony Clie TH55> TX> Centro> Pre Plus> Pixi Plus> Pre 2
    Jive Turkey and liv4rc51 like this.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Based on my previous HP laptop issues, I don't think you are losing much in the way of support.
    How long before they pull the plug on the App Catalog server?

That's my main concern...
    yeah, imagine how it feels to developers
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokal View Post
    How long before they pull the plug on the App Catalog server?

That's my main concern...
    I'm sure they'll keep it up for a while for the existing devices. I just wouldn't expect any more app additions.

Quote Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
    Not that easy... I'm not from the UK... also I really like the phone and I don't really need all the 3rd party apps that would have come.
    On the other hand, I think the least HP can do right now is remove the geo-lock
    You don't think you need all the 3rd party apps until you need them. The point isn't you're gonna use and need every app in any given market, but that IF THE NEED arises, you know that it will be available to you.

This news pretty much killed app development, support, updates for even existing apps.

My recommendation is make the switch. The boat was already sinking, HP just shot a few torpedoes through it, now you REALLY need to jump.
    or stick with her if you can and have an affair :P
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    ...our sparse developer population is probably already en route for the Android hills...
    This, to me, is the complete death knell for webOS.

Let's just suppose for a second that some magical company, whether it be a handset manufacturer or software company, comes along and wants to continue where HP left off. Who would develop and app for that platform? It was already on very shaky legs, now it has been chopped off at the knee!

What about all those companies that expended **REAL** money to develop a webOS app for the TouchPad or Pre lineup, now HP just dumps them? They are not likely to be cajoled by this magical company that might pick webOS up.

A platform lives and dies on the shoulders of its developers. It is unfortunate that HP did little to ease their pain and help them out. The whole mojo vs. enyo fiasco is just a sign of how poorly things were run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    This, to me, is the complete death knell for webOS.

Let's just suppose for a second that some magical company, whether it be a handset manufacturer or software company, comes along and wants to continue where HP left off. Who would develop and app for that platform? It was already on very shaky legs, now it has been chopped off at the knee!

What about all those companies that expended **REAL** money to develop a webOS app for the TouchPad or Pre lineup, now HP just dumps them? They are not likely to be cajoled by this magical company that might pick webOS up.

A platform lives and dies on the shoulders of its developers. It is unfortunate that HP did little to ease their pain and help them out. The whole mojo vs. enyo fiasco is just a sign of how poorly things were run.
    As much as I hate what you are saying, I fear you are right.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to help out a guy who is having issues with one of my apps.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    box.co.uk want a 20% restocking fee GRRR to return it!
    So dam angry right now, I was on android and from February i was looking at this website everyday for news because the OS is so awesome looking and different from android.
    Then i bought it and was so excited and then went out in the evening came back to find HP had completely f*%&%&* me over!!!
    box.co.uk just rang me back and said they would give me the 50 refund of price difference so i will keep it and sell it on ebay i think :/
    such a shame because it works so well
    Quote Originally Posted by monotok View Post
    box.co.uk want a 20% restocking fee GRRR to return it!
    So dam angry right now, I was on android and from February i was looking at this website everyday for news because the OS is so awesome looking and different from android.
    Then i bought it and was so excited and then went out in the evening came back to find HP had completely f*%&%&* me over!!!
    box.co.uk just rang me back and said they would give me the 50 refund of price difference so i will keep it and sell it on ebay i think :/
    such a shame because it works so well
    1. How much did you originally pay for the phone?

2. Have you opened and used it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast