View Poll Results: Will you still wait for the Pre3 after today's news?

Voters
300. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, love WebOS even with the shut down and no future support

130 43.33%
  • No, waiting for the iPhone 5 now

36 12.00%
  • I think the Pre3 will never be released now

46 15.33%
  • Time to move on, why support a platform when I don't get any type of support from it

54 18.00%
  • Jumping ship to Android/Window now

34 11.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EN4CER View Post
    I need some help, guidance and assistance I just refused my Pre 3 from the courier this morning as it was DOA. RIP WebOS.

I need a new phone to replace my current Pre. The phone must have:

1. An OS that I can get straight to what I want.

2. A Physical Keyboard and Touch Screen.

Any recommendations guys ??
    Wait for the Dell Venue Pro after updates to WP7 Mango. Very similar to Pre3 if not slightly better quality.

I have just received my Pre3 & very good value for money imo.

Will be using this for now & most likely see how Nokia Meego or WP7 goes later in the timeframe.
    I am an ex-iPhone user and stuck with a Pre- I got off ebay 1.5 years ago and later a Pre2. This despite the lack of a real SatNav option (don't get me started on the Pre2 GPS bug), a Sip VOIP option, etc, and despite the bugs in WebOS and the build quality of my Pre and Pre2s. In particular SatNav and Voip are very key to me and I stuck with it.

Like many others I stuck with WebOS because when WebOS works, it works better than iOS, WP7, and Android all put together, and for me in particular the killer features were Synergy out of the box, the notification system and the fact that I could consult my calendar during a phone call or go change the screen brightness as I type an email.

I also have an Android tablet -an Archos 70. That has shown me how I hate rough edges, illogical groupings, SERIOUS bugginess, etc in lesser software. I know Android devices are all different and I have a rather old version in my Archos, and that you can get super hardware for less money if you court Android. But Software elegance is important to me.

That leaves me with iOS and WP7 (BB is out for now). Since I have never been a Microsoft fan, and I still have my software investment in iOS, I guess my next phone purchase will be an iPhone 5 in a few months, rather than a Pre3 in a couple of weeks, although that of course could change depending on what announcement we are going to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amohazab View Post

Like many others I stuck with WebOS because when WebOS works, it works better than iOS, WP7, and Android all put together, and for me in particular the killer features were Synergy out of the box, the notification system and the fact that I could consult my calendar during a phone call or go change the screen brightness as I type an email.
    I just bought a photon (android, motorola), and I miss my pre. I completely agree that when webOS works, it's better than Android,
    but this does work pretty reliably. In a sense I feel justified on my jump, but mostly I'm sad, as I'd still hoped I might get another pre some day.
    The news from HP seriously bums me out. I started using Palm devices way back when they came out with the clunky, but cool,Treo 300, and have stuck with the progression ever since. I was really psyched for the Pre 3! In addition, Ive been in the market for a phone for about 6 months and have been strung along by HPs "just a little longer" release news.

The thing that is so frustrating is that webOS is SO Good! And HP totally failed to show that to the public. The advertising, since the Pre 1 has been lame. Just plain weird, for the initial release of the Pre, and nothing substantial since. The HP tablet has totally fallen on its face. Why is Richard Brand and that boxer guy selling tablets? They are both on the fringe. I know I dont relate to either one of them for convincing me to buy electronics (tho I do think Brand is funny). WebOS marketing has been nothing less than a real flop. In addition, the timeing (or lack of) has been off for years. Want to go head to head with Apple? Release them within a month of each other. Not 6 months or more when all the buzz is over. Meanwhile, Andriod bombards me all night long when ever Im watching tv. And the commercials at least come off with a tech cool factor about them. Not like "eeeww, what was that?" that you get from Palm/HP.

It will make an excellent case study for marketing students on how a superior product can loose in the market. Shame on Palm/HP. Web OS devices should be racking up sales with the iPhone.

Reluctantly looking for a replacement phone.....
    Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    Wait for the Dell Venue Pro after updates to WP7 Mango. Very similar to Pre3 if not slightly better quality.

I have just received my Pre3 & very good value for money imo.

Will be using this for now & most likely see how Nokia Meego or WP7 goes later in the timeframe.
    Will the current Dell Venue Pro upgrade to Mango on it release?..

Been offered one for 300... Is it worth it!

Does look interesting tbh
    Last edited by EN4CER; 08/19/2011 at 08:28 AM.
    It's about time. The death of webOS is at hand!
    Apple Rules!! The iPhone is the best!
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    RIM is sadly ripping off WebOS with its strikingly similar QNX software
    I haven't seen the RIM QNX stuff, but isn't it interesting that other OSes (Mango comes to mind) seem to be moving in the direction of the WebOS interface ?
  9. mus
    HP is a horrible company. They are not Palm, but since Palm is dead, it's time to move on.
    Now I wait for the iPhone 5 with all it's WebOS like gestures and improved notifications etc. Who knows maybe they'll even surprise us with true multitasking.
    I will be purchasing a Pre 3 when they liquidate them and go month to month on at&t for now and keep my options open. I love my TouchPad and will continue to enjoy using it for my everyday computing.
  11. mus
    How does HP give up on mobile computing and expect to still be a dominant player in modern electronics? No one wants a printer for Christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by mus View Post
    How does HP give up on mobile computing and expect to still be a dominant player in modern electronics? No one wants a printer for Christmas.
    why do you think they are in the market of modern electronics ? they are in the market of making money, and are abandoning even the laptop business in favour of more profitable ventures. Webos was less than 2% of the company's worth - a bet easily swallowed. The recent acquire of Autonomy and going in the ERM and data mining software business is more significant bet but still in the 10% range and i am looking forward to how this will play out for them. I'm expecting to give up printing as well in couple of years.

Expectation of HP to care or accusations that they have mismanaged the palm division are about the same as people looking down on you leaving your penny change in the jar of your favourite fast food restaurant.

Business - it works like nothing else, especially nothing personal.

Oh, and I am so still getting a pre3
    I was going to upgrade to pre3 but with hp's announcement looks like i'll be waiting for the iphone5. i've been a palm fan since the palm pilot days, i've stuck with them thru good and bad. This is the worse, i'm sadden but not supprised that hp is dumping webos, like a lot of people i love the os but hate the hardware and was hoping hp would make this truely a great phone. i am grateful hp made the announcement before i bought the pre3. i will miss webos maybe some day, if it survives i will come back.
    i wish they would go and release the pre 3 in the us i still want one to go with my touchpad.
    After several hours of research. I think ths will be my next phone when released::

Sony Ericsson XPERIA Pro

Looking good thus far
    I'm thinking that maybe it's time to just go back to a dumb phone and my Palm T|X. It doesn't multi-task, but it does work solidly and I still use it for my calendar since that was the one thing WebOS never really got right (in my opinion, of course, even with UberCalendar...some things just weren't possible).

Then again, my upgrade with Verizon comes at the end of September, so maybe I'll wait and see what iphone 5 has to offer, or whatever the latest android phone is then.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EN4CER View Post
    Will the current Dell Venue Pro upgrade to Mango on it release?..

Been offered one for 300... Is it worth it!

Does look interesting tbh
    I'm looking at the Venue Pro as well and I've come to the understanding that it will be upgraded to Mango. It can load the current developer beta of it so I don't see anything in the way of an official release. If I'm not mistaken Mango will run on all existing WP7 hardware.

Too bad the Venue Pro has such an 'unprofessional' look to it; Glossy Black with a silly pattern + Chrome + Matte Black = inconsistency. Wish I could paint it all Matte Black.
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    does anyone know if any CDMA (VzW) Pre3's were manufactured? I'd love to pick one of those up in a fire sale.

Comments?
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Bah. I was hoping in WebOs 2.2 with skype support.

My next phone will be a wp7 mango surely ...
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Nope. Ordered it on Thursday morning, UK time, heard HP's announcement Thursday evening. Boy did I feel like a chump.

Over a year I've been a webOS supporter, convincing people to get webOS devices, preaching the benefits, ignoring every dud move HP made and telling myself it'll be fine, they just need time. Well time's up.

I cancelled my order from HP's Eurostore that very evening.

There's not even a FB app available for the Pre 3. This'll be like owning the Pixi+ all over again "This app is not available for your model". Screw that. After 2 Pixi+'s and a Pre+ I'm done for now.

I'd been waiting for the Pre3 since Feb and the Opal since it was leaked. Massively disappointed. webOS Internals and the Homebrew community did more for webOS than HP ever could. And people might be saying that the devices perform today like they did before HP's announcement but the spirit of webOS has taken a massive hit. Bigger than anything we've heard in the last 2 years. At least when people were returning their original pre's 5 times they knew they'd be able to get a new one.

HP's messed up too many times. I've ordered a Nexus S. Nothing will ever compare to webOS, but my Pre+ is on its last legs, and the Pre3 is out of the question now. I hate Android but at least I know it has the support, both from developers and Google. I'm not saying goodbye, or leaving PreCentral, I'm keeping my eye on webOS and waiting for HP to redeem themselves and at least license webOS to another handset maker so I can come back, but guess what, we've heard their "promises" before, their "Make it right" mumbojumbo.

I would've gone for an N9 but guess what, same situation. Tragic really.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast