Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    From what I understand from the Q3 Conference call, HP is "all out" of webOS. Should we assume that the Pre3 is dead, or will they sell what they had built?
    So far they say they are dropping all webOS devices. They havent really said anything about the webOS itself. But if they dont announce anything soon, it doesnt look good. I dont know what they are doing with the Pre 3. It wouldnt make sense to release a phone and then not support it.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    They will probably sell what they built. Pre3 will probably be free with contract.
    If the Pre 3 does launch in the US, just to get rid of inventory, why would anyone buy one? I mean, seriously: the chances of another major app releasing for the platform has now dropped to about zero. Might as well buy a feature phone for all the expanded functionality a webOS device will get.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    If the Pre 3 does launch in the US, just to get rid of inventory, why would anyone buy one? I mean, seriously: the chances of another major app releasing for the platform has now dropped to about zero. Might as well buy a feature phone for all the expanded functionality a webOS device will get.
    As a feature phone. I wouldn't mind the video cam for Skype built in.
    So why even launch the phone in the UK earlier this week? The handful of owners must be p/o'ed.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Just seems like they really messed up big time to me. They released the phone that few people wanted first, then released the TouchPad whose unique features were based around having a WebOS device, and then don't even sell the supposed "halo" phone? Just really, really poor strategy from my point of view.
    Maybe they are going to be mainly in the UK. That company Autonomy that they are purchasing is a UK company as well aren't they?
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    If you guys listened to the whole call they said the wind down would take several quarters and that they would invest heavily to make that happen. Translation: they will make the investments necessary to license webOS.

My guess is that they do launch the Pre3, but just enough to show potential suitors the value of webOS.

When you sell a house, you dress it up before buyers take a walk through. You don't throw it into disrepair and then put up a garage sale sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    If you guys listened to the whole call they said the wind down would take several quarters and that they would invest heavily to make that happen. Translation: they will make the investments necessary to license webOS.

My guess is that they do launch the Pre3, but just enough to show potential suitors the value of webOS.

When you sell a house, you dress it up before buyers take a walk through. You don't throw it into disrepair and then put up a garage sale sign.
    I have no doubt that webOS will continue to be on phones not created by HP. But the whole process is setting it back. They have to go through the process of actually licensing it, phones have to be made, etc. All the down time will push developers away. WebOS is down and will be down for a while. When they can get webOS on new, better devices, webOS can have another chance. But like you said, it will be several quarters from now. Not a lot of people are going to want to wait several quarters with no development or support coming in.
    tasogare likes this.

Actually, what they said was the 4th quarter; whether that means fiscal or calendar is actually quite big. If it's fiscal, that'd be VERY soon, if it's calendar then there are still a few remaining months.
    bevcraw likes this.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    my guess is fiscal, they said most of their losses were attributed to webos -=\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    I'm thinking about what you wrote, trying to decide how to interpret it.

Would a Europe-only launch be enough to "show the suitors"? I mean, are we going to get a pre 3 here in the US, at all?

I'm not going to android or apple for the simple reason that I've already tried both of them, and they're both complete nonstarters for me. So, even after today's news, I'm still sitting here wondering if I should just go ahead and order a pre 2 if we're not going to see a pre 3 in the US.

But if we *are* going to see a pre 3 in the US, obviously I'd wait a bit longer for that.
    preak and Pitxitxita like this.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

it sounds to me as though they have abandoned it. I can't understand the logic of trying to sell a division after you have annoinced publicly that you are getting out.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Actually, what they said was the 4th quarter; whether that means fiscal or calendar is actually quite big. If it's fiscal, that'd be VERY soon, if it's calendar then there are still a few remaining months.
    Yes, there are still a few remaining months. We'll have to see what happens on the Pre 3.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    My thought is just that production must have started by now, and if it had then not selling it would be lost money. Development continuing or not, unsold devices are lost money. Especially if they have made any CDMA phones, the US is the only place that uses it heavily, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by cntchds View Post
    My thought is just that production must have started by now, and if it had then not selling it would be lost money. Development continuing or not, unsold devices are lost money. Especially if they have made any CDMA phones, the US is the only place that uses it heavily, isn't it?
    Wouldn't it be funny if they flooded the market with bargain-basement prices/giving the devices away, which expands market share, and perversely jump-starts interest in webOS among the masses.

I wonder if Verizon could get them at no upfront cost from HP. They could distribute them as free phones, and let HP have some of the profit from any new contracts formed.
    Tikkanen and Pitxitxita like this.
    I was hoping HP would release something by the end of summer, but THIS....
    Virgin mobile should buy them all and sell them as a no-contract phone for $35/mo.
    jrronimo and Tikkanen like this.
    I was expecting the release to be a phone, not a turd...
    TopTongueBarry likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast