Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Yes, there are still a few remaining months. We'll have to see what happens on the Pre 3.
    I'm making sure I have a device to use SMS with my Touchpad here in the USA. Just ordered a Pre 3 from Handtec.co.uk.

Yes I know only 1900 MHz HSPA+ will work here, but I have an AT&T microcell device inside my house bombarding us all with 850 and 1900 MHz so I don't have to worry about low signal strength on the single UTMS/HSPA+ band (1900) that doesn't travel well through walls.

Outdoors I am hoping for the best because I've been told it should work fine as long as I remain in a metropoliton area ( I live in one).
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    tamino likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    Wouldn't it be funny if they flooded the market with bargain-basement prices/giving the devices away, which expands market share, and perversely jump-starts interest in webOS among the masses.

I wonder if Verizon could get them at no upfront cost from HP. They could distribute them as free phones, and let HP have some of the profit from any new contracts formed.
    That thought crossed my mind also.
    Would be terribly ironic if - now that the Pre3 is available at long last - it's a surprise hit with people who are happy with a flash supported browser and the apps that are already out. After the recent price drop (from originally 450 to 350 Euros) it was already about the best bang for the buck you could get on the smartphone marker. Todays announcement will make it even cheaper (probably 299 soon - all prices off-contract).

But at the end of the day I ddon't tink so. Smartphones need active support and a living app market. HP killed that today. By tomorrow almsot all development on commercial webos apps will be halted.
    A few webos internal open source hackers might keep going as long as they use the phone themselves and have fun scratching their own itches.
    They probably get rid of the inventory by all sorts of bargain deals at some point - but it won't create buzz.

There's Amiga fans to this day. And there will be webos users for a couple more years or more. At this oment I' still likely to get the Pre3 and so will probably be on webos for another couple of years before I switch to an Android phone. But I'll be in a small and shrinking minority.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    There's Amiga fans to this day. And there will be webos users for a couple more years or more.
    I'm also convinced homebrew and a community will live on for many years.
    I'm pretty angry at the incompetence with which HP ran this so-called marathon. It seems they thought they were jumping in from the crowd at mile 25 and could sprint the rest of the way. What a pathetic company.

Anyway, I'm still committed to webOS and if somebody will make a phone running it, I'll buy it. Since HP is no longer a hardware company, I think the least they can do is tell us yes or no on a US Pre≥ release. I'll buy a Veer tomorrow if somebody confirms there is never going to be a Pre≥ available to me. They've kicked us and shoved us into the street, just tell us whether a car is coming!
    tamino and Tikkanen like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cntchds View Post
    From what I understand from the Q3 Conference call, HP is "all out" of webOS. Should we assume that the Pre3 is dead, or will they sell what they had built?
    Retailer contracts would allow them to return remaining stock in this case. We have been told that each TouchPad cost HP over $300 so retailers had to have paid at least that.

If retailers could get more by selling than returning at wholesale, they would sell retail.Could they sell a TouchPad for $300 now?

The manufacturing cost of the Pre 3 would have to be at least $200. HP would have charged the UK shops at least $300 equivalent.
    lol so they still didnt tell us whats up with the pre 3 , just discontinued. Priceless!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I was expecting the release to be a phone, not a turd...
    Haha too funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I was expecting the release to be a phone, not a turd...
    Just received confirmation from handtec.co.uk, my Turd 3 is shipping out today from the UK and they said I can expect delivery on Monday.

Since I'm on the west coast, in California, I wasn't expecting it until Tuesday or Wednesday.

We shall see how this all works out ......

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    They could have produced 200,000 phones to ship to sell and they are all boxed and ready to go, but if they can afford to try and ditch webOS after a billion something dollar invenstment, surely they can take a loss on some phones and not cell them. HP Sucks, I had sooo much faith in webOS as of recently until this announcement yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Just received confirmation from handtec.co.uk, my Turd 3 is shipping out today from the UK and they said I can expect delivery on Monday.

Since I'm on the west coast, in California, I wasn't expecting it until Tuesday or Wednesday.

We shall see how this all works out ......

TTB
    It is a beautifull, lightning fast phone by the way. I'm just playing with it now, and I'm very impressed (and considering what to do with it).
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    They could have produced 200,000 phones to ship to sell and they are all boxed and ready to go...
    The problem is supporting those phones. Right now you call your carrier.

Someone did a survey of maybe a thousand of us a year ago and found that 47% had returned at least one Pre. HP knows those numbers too.

Without having the carrier call centers in place, the actuaries may have estimated that it would cost more in support than they can make selling them.

How much will buyers pay for an unsupported phone?
    WebOSRoundUp has leaked info that ALL AT&T's in the US cancelled their order... So if it is coming here... It'll be unlocked.
    damn slow internet... This is an example of the commercial about where the guy lost the auction because of slow bidding because the internet was too slow... Nice.
    Maybe they're just focusing on Sprint like another post in this forum indicates!
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Yeah, because Sprint had so much success with webOS the first time around that they are ready to go at it alone without HP... That makes sense.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Could be worse, couldn't imagine working for HP, getting to release day, only to have the product canned...
    Tikkanen likes this.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Maybe they're just focusing on Sprint like another post in this forum indicates!

That will go down well:

HP: "hey you guys didn't watch our earnings call do you?"

Sprint: "Yes"

HP: "****".

What carrier in their right mind would decide to launch a phone that has been discontinued *before* they even launched it?
    Tikkanen likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12