Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By ricardoric
  1.    #1  
    Hi all. Just joined the forum and thought i'd comment on the Pre3.

    I just got mine today and my initial impressions are positive. However some regrets are that I paid 300+ and they dropped the price yesterday and now the news that webOS may be dead means I have a very nice phone thats going nowhere (possibly).

    I moved from the iPhone having owned one for about 4 years, fancied a change and the Pre3 caught my eye when it was first touted.

    I think webOS is very easy to use and navigate, the flick to close, stacks for apps and the look and feel make it a joy to navigate. I couldn't find a way to copy my sim contacts, but the import from Facebook contacts (near enough the same people) was easy and adding a few phone numbers manually made me get used to the keyboard which is a joy to use and a reason i went to the Pre3, reminds me of my Palm Treo I had a number of years ago. I like the way you can go into USB mode and this makes copying files, music etc a much nicer way than being tied down to iTunes.

    The help icon fails to load any screens or help, URL response is empty, guess not been done or ever being done now! The web link also doesn't run in a browser..

    As mentioned elsewhere the app catalog shows a Facebook app and NDrive link but then states they are not available for my device, will they ever? Also the home page is not scrollable (for me anyway) with the featured apps but otherwise runs smoothly.

    Build quality is good in my opinion, the phone feels solid and the screen responsive. I love the gesture area and notification icons. When the screen is off the gesture area flashes to show you have a email/msg etc. A nice touch.

    Anyway i'm happy with it and time will tell how things will go. I have put a link here to a unboxing video I did as well, it may be of some interest.



    Any questions please ask.
  2. #2  
    Hello! Sorry you got your Pre3 at such a bizzare time.

    Nice to hear your views, clearly there are a few significant bugs.

    I'd love to see the video, but it says 'this video is private' at the moment.

    If theres some commitment to support from HP, I might still consider getting one.

    Where did you get yours from? Most places will (and have already) given refunds for the price drop.

    Not sure what you mean about this:
    The help icon fails to load any screens or help, URL response is empty, guess not been done or ever being done now! The web link also doesn't run in a browser..
    if links from emails, say, don't work, thats pretty bad. Is that what you mean?
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoric View Post
    Hi all. Just joined the forum and thought i'd comment on the Pre3.

    I just got mine today and my initial impressions are positive. However some regrets are that I paid 300+ and they dropped the price yesterday and now the news that webOS may be dead means I have a very nice phone thats going nowhere (possibly).

    I moved from the iPhone having owned one for about 4 years, fancied a change and the Pre3 caught my eye when it was first touted.

    I think webOS is very easy to use and navigate, the flick to close, stacks for apps and the look and feel make it a joy to navigate. I couldn't find a way to copy my sim contacts, but the import from Facebook contacts (near enough the same people) was easy and adding a few phone numbers manually made me get used to the keyboard which is a joy to use and a reason i went to the Pre3, reminds me of my Palm Treo I had a number of years ago. I like the way you can go into USB mode and this makes copying files, music etc a much nicer way than being tied down to iTunes.

    The help icon fails to load any screens or help, URL response is empty, guess not been done or ever being done now! The web link also doesn't run in a browser..

    As mentioned elsewhere the app catalog shows a Facebook app and NDrive link but then states they are not available for my device, will they ever? Also the home page is not scrollable (for me anyway) with the featured apps but otherwise runs smoothly.

    Build quality is good in my opinion, the phone feels solid and the screen responsive. I love the gesture area and notification icons. When the screen is off the gesture area flashes to show you have a email/msg etc. A nice touch.

    Anyway i'm happy with it and time will tell how things will go. I have put a link here to a unboxing video I did as well, it may be of some interest.



    Any questions please ask.
    Your video is marked private. I guess on top of not being able to buy the phone in the US, I can't see your video, either.
  4.    #4  
    Hopefully the video is now public, must be how FCPX uploads it and YouTube sets it up.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoric View Post
    Hopefully the video is now public, must be how FCPX uploads it and YouTube sets it up.

    Thanks for the video and the update ( for those who haven't seen it).

    Nicely edited!

    Clearly a few bugs still there, but nothing phone- breaking.

    How are you finding it? will you keep the phone?

    Thanks again!
  6. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #6  
    Keep an eye on the HP store on monday, if you bought it online, then it's likely you can return the unit you've got and get another for half price.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Keep an eye on the HP store on monday, if you bought it online, then it's likely you can return the unit you've got and get another for half price.
    I think 1/2 price might be a push. I think its slightly possible there will be no discount at all on the pre3: the few units they will sell will not be worth the cost of supplying even warranty support. Given the apocalyptic nature of the US touchpad fire sale, it seems HP are just keen to wipe their hands of all the hardware as quickly as possible, even if it means dropping in a big hole in the ground.

    But dunno, that might just be my natural pessimism.

    50% off, and I'd buy two (for when the first breaks)!
  8.    #8  
    @ CGK thanks for the info - I will have a look out for that.

    @Andyf thanks for the comment.

    I have uploaded two more videos:



    A quick video taken when walking the dog to show the video quality. Phone has to be in landscape mode to shoot video and comes out at 480p.



    This shows the Pre3 running Preware.

    Any questions or requests please ask.

Posting Permissions